Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Denver Nuggets plan to bench players lacking maximum effort

Rookie head coach Brian Shaw appears to be having a bit of trouble in regards to getting the most out of his talent in Denver as the Nuggets currently sit a 1-4 and have looked lackadaisical in the process.

Granted, with a complete franchise overhaul – from the front office to the floor, everybody know it would be a process but the Nuggets aren’t going to be okay with lack of effort, which resulted in Shaw suggesting that he will bench any player who doesn’t give a maximum effort.

“What I’m most disappointed in is just the low energy level of some of our guys,” Shaw said after the Nuggets loss at Phoenix on Friday night. “We’re deep enough at a few positions where if some of the those guys aren’t going to come with any energy then I’ll just go down the bench, find the guys who want to play and their minutes and their opportunities will go down.”

This of course isn’t exactly shocking news as any coach would do such. However, the fact that Shaw felt he needed to send out a warning shot should be plenty enough to get the motors of particular nuggets *cough* JaVale McGee*cough* motivated. If not, they’re likely to find themselves on the bench.
    I wonder if the control freak owner will soon fire Brian Shaw because the mediocre Javale Mcgee isn't getting enough minutes or ends up on the bench. At least George Karl got wins in the process of not playing the mediocre Javale Mcgee.

I honestly don't care if we win this season. I hope we're lottery bound.

I like what Shaw's doing so far.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

I think Shaw is doing an awesome job so far. He is a no BS coach. If guys aren't giving effort, then they deserve to ride the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    I honestly don't care if we win this season. I hope we're lottery bound.

I like what Shaw's doing so far.
    Jabari please

I told you guys Karl wasn't the problem. Its just not a very talented roster which Karl had playing far above its talent level.

Yep, George Karl clearly got way more out of our roster then they were worth. I said it many times and he hid the inability of "GM of the Year" Masai Ujiri to address problem areas on the team. Given George Karl didn't do great in the playoffs however I would prefer a great, fun to watch regular season team that gets bounced in the first round then a lottery team.

Yeah I love when my team starts out playing like garbage looks good on the coach.

2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Jabari please
    Being a Duke fan I would love jabari in a nugget uniform.

I was wondering where all the knee jerk fans went.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

I like Karl, the team was fun to watch when they could play wide open. In the half court they we're brutal to watch and the playoffs become half court bball. We have a team built to run but our future is less running and more half court.

The hangover from Karl is the guys are behind on half court bball in the NBA. It's gonna take some time for Shaw to turn that around. That and he does have to fight the FO on McGee at some point. McGee is ridiculous athletic ability with no care for fundamentals. I'd rather watch Moz fumble around with effort than McGee waste away ability.

Well McGee is out indefinately... has a stress fracture in his left tibia. He will be out indefinitely pending further evaluation

A few things:
    1. George Karl sucked, even though not everything wrong with the team was his fault. He was terrible at making adjustments and very inflexible (even though he was totally right to not play McGee).

2. Trading Kosta Koufos was dumb, but not as dumb as signing McGee to that big deal in the first place. Now Javale is hurt and all we have at the 5 is Mozzy.

3. We're still missing BOTH of our small forwards, Gallinari and Chandler. They also happen to be two of our three best players, along with Lawson, who is playing on a bad ankle/groin. Gallinari should be back by the end of the month, Chandler could play in Utah tonight.

4. We had a ****ty start to last season too, if anyone cares to remember that far back. Still won 57 games.

5. New coach, new GM, four new players in the rotation (Arthur, Hickson, Foye, Robinson).

This team won't win as many games is it did last year, but it's way too early to abandon ship. I say this is a 44-48 win team, and a low seed in the Western Conference Playoffs.

We're a much better three point and free throw shooting team this year, which were our two worst aspects last year outside of perimeter defense (which, losing Iggy and Brewer, is probably the area where we've gotten worse).
    Anyone seen Jake Plummer?

The Javale Mcgee deal was terrible. Never understood it and another reason why Masai Ujiri was the most overrated man in the Denver Nuggets organisation. How he thought that was a smart deal is beyond me. Javale had a couple good post-season games so they overpaid him by double of what he is worth. Then the front office got angry because our coach, who didn't suck at all didn't play him. And why would he ? Javale Mcgee is the definition of inconsistent. "He doesn't know how to rebound, he doesn't know how to block shots, he doesn't have a post game, he doesn't have a jump shot, he can just dunk. Put he has potential" (Hastings, 2013) and maybe after 5 more years we will see it

And yes we are missing two very good players. It will be good to get them back. I am not saying the season is over and at someone saying I am a knee jerk fan. I am just saying will the new coach (1-4) be in trouble if he doesn't play Javale Mcgee because that seems to be a reason why Karl is no longer here. I was being a smart ace about him being fired.
    Last edited by johnlimburg; 11-11-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
    A few things:
    1. George Karl sucked, even though not everything wrong with the team was his fault. He was terrible at making adjustments and very inflexible (even though he was totally right to not play McGee).

You certainly have a right to dislike Karl but his record speaks for itself. As a long time Nugget fan I can remember far worse. He didn't win in the playoffs but realistically how man coaches do and put simply have we ever had that talent that those coaches had? Melo was good but how far is that getting him in NY. If Melo gets a championship it'll be as a wing man, not THE man.

2. Trading Kosta Koufos was dumb, but not as dumb as signing McGee to that big deal in the first place. Now Javale is hurt and all we have at the 5 is Mozzy.

Agreed, I wish we had kept Koufos and Mozzy. In our new style they fit better. McGee has all the ability but not the desire. He wants to out athlete everyone he's up against and they beat him with simple fundamentals. Mugsy Bogues could box out McGee

3. We're still missing BOTH of our small forwards, Gallinari and Chandler. They also happen to be two of our three best players, along with Lawson, who is playing on a bad ankle/groin. Gallinari should be back by the end of the month, Chandler could play in Utah tonight.

These players could make a big difference, but all three can't seem to stay healthy.

4. We had a ****ty start to last season too, if anyone cares to remember that far back. Still won 57 games.

I think it will take longer to recover from this slow start. I would not be surprised if we missed the playoffs. It takes time to make a change like this and we're going to find out that some of our talent were well suited to run and not so well suited for a half court game.

5. New coach, new GM, four new players in the rotation (Arthur, Hickson, Foye, Robinson).

This team won't win as many games as it did last year, but it's way too early to abandon ship. I say this is a 44-48 win team, and a low seed in the Western Conference Playoffs.

We're a much better three point and free throw shooting team this year, which were our two worst aspects last year outside of perimeter defense (which, losing Iggy and Brewer, is probably the area where we've gotten worse).
    I'm not jumping ship but I do believe this will be a big time reality check and transition year. It's one thing to start slow, tweak a few things and start rolling again like last year. We have a new coach, new players, injuries, and a different scheme. Hopefully Kroenke will realize that a second coach is now souring in McGee and Kroenke is best to sit back and count his money rather than push for players he likes.

I do like that Faried is more aggressive on the offensive end. If he can't develop some consistent offensive attacks then we really don't need him as a starter. He's a energy bench guy if he can't bring more. I like Mozzy, his hands are shaky but I seem to recall Koufos having the same problem and he got over it. I think if you give Mozzy time he will actually develop. Nate would have been great last year as a spell for Ty, this year, not sure where he fits.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I am just saying will the new coach (1-4) be in trouble if he doesn't play Javale Mcgee because that seems to be a reason why Karl is no longer here.
    There are a number of reasons GK is no longer in Denver.