Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sly Williams

Deep at DT, DL/DT's take 2-3 years to develop, i'd guess he gets more time next year or maybe this year.

From Mike Klis of The Denver Post:

Despite disappearances, don't call Sylvester Williams a bust.

At least don't call him that until you've talked to Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio.

"He's doing well," Del Rio said Monday.

Williams is a rookie defensive tackle the Broncos drafted 28th overall. He was a healthy scratch Sunday at San Diego. That's happened three times this season.

"I talked to Phil Simms about this," Del Rio said of the former NFL quarterback, a CBS broadcaster who called the Broncos-Chargers game. "He said, 'What about your first-round pick?' I said, 'Listen, it's not going to be portrayed this way, but he's doing a nice job.' He's a good player. We just have a deep group at that position, and he's not getting called on right now. But he's practicing great. He's got good effort."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...illiams-future

One of the worst things for a young player is playing them before they are ready. Rush them in, and you shatter confidence. You also will see a young guy revert to bad habits, if they are played too early. With Vick and Knighton playing very well on the interior I applaud the coaches for developing talent.

We don't need him right now because Terrance knighton is playing the best football of his career and is playing at a top 10 defensive tackle level.

Hes currently training to be moved to the oline

Quote Originally Posted by BRONCOS_24 View Post
    Hes currently training to be moved to the oline
    No, he's not...
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

I'm not saying he's a bust but why did we even bother drafting him? We knew we were deep in the DT position this year and it's not like we're a rebuilding team that needs to develop talent. We should've traded the pick for a win-now guy on defense.
    Eating greedy

Quote Originally Posted by coolio2244242 View Post
    I'm not saying he's a bust but why did we even bother drafting him? We knew we were deep in the DT position this year and it's not like we're a rebuilding team that needs to develop talent. We should've traded the pick for a win-now guy on defense.
    Because in 2 years he could be a top 10 defensive tackle.

There was really no place for a guy like that and not anyone that looked like they could have made that impact. Kiko Alonso would have looked nice but Denver made a good move getting a good player with a ton of potential and giving him the opportunity to develop at the hardest position to transition to from college to the pros while we still had two good players at that position. It was a good move.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

Just out of curiosity, what "win now defensive player" would you have traded a 1st for? Or would have been realistically available?

Also, consider the Broncos are deep. What other position would have been a better direction to go after with a 1st rounder?

IMO the Williams pick is solid. He is a talented DT and all the reasons he was drafted have not changed. Still a lot of games left and (knock on wood) if either Knighton or Vickerson gets injured and out a few games then Williams coming off the bench will be a luxury most teams do not have.

And of course JDR would say what he said...if he came out and called Sly a bust at this point it would pretty much be admitting 100% that he wasted a first round pick.
    Eating greedy

Quote Originally Posted by Doogansquest View Post
    It's going to be hilarious watching this thread develop. You'll see a mixture of comedy and people who think they know why he's not suiting up. Then it will morph into an embarrassing groupthink that people will spew in other threads; claiming the "facts" about Sylvester Williams being a bust, or some such nonsense.
    Out of curiosity...where do u feel your post fits in the evolution of the thread

And of course JDR would say what he said...if he came out and called Sly a bust at this point it would pretty much be admitting 100% that he wasted a first round pick.
    Except JDR didn't select Sly...

DT's take a while to transition to the Pro game we've seen it time and time again. I'd just relax.

Players sometimes take a while to develop Tamba Hali wasn't anything special his first four years in the league now look at him.

2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

I come from a different cloth........sort of. Unless a DT is almost "can't miss" I wouldn't draft one very high. I studied this a couple years ago, and it took on average more like 2-3 years for higher draft pick DTs to pay real dividends. But that's if they turn out.

So, just my thing, but I would probably acquire quality DTs via trade/free agency over higher draft picks (1st or 2nd round). I may draft one by round 3, but not any sooner......UNLESS a freak of nature lands in our laps, and there are few freak of nature DTs in college.

My view is this......draft mainly for positions that mature quicker (ie. LBs, CBs, RBs.....heck, even Oliners and QBs these days!). That way you get fairly good return on your investment, and often as early as year one. Of course there are always exceptions. But DTs are risky propositions, in terms of when they develop, and even worse.....IF they develop.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I come from a different cloth........sort of. Unless a DT is almost "can't miss" I wouldn't draft one very high. I studied this a couple years ago, and it took on average more like 2-3 years for higher draft pick DTs to pay real dividends. But that's if they turn out.

So, just my thing, but I would probably acquire quality DTs via trade/free agency over higher draft picks (1st or 2nd round). I may draft one by round 3, but not any sooner......UNLESS a freak of nature lands in our laps, and there are few freak of nature DTs in college.

My view is this......draft mainly for positions that mature quicker (ie. LBs, CBs, RBs.....heck, even Oliners and QBs these days!). That way you get fairly good return on your investment, and often as early as year one. Of course there are always exceptions. But DTs are risky propositions, in terms of when they develop, and even worse.....IF they develop.
    Considering what you see in our LB corp and DB corp and the fact we used a 2nd rounder on a RB, who was there to pick that would have made a more immediate impact for the team this year? And Knighton and Vickerson are both only here on 2 year contracts, 4.5 and 5 million total on each while WIlliams is signed for 4 years at a total of 7.6 million. In other words, he is making less per year than both current starters, and is under contract after the other two expire, thus allowing the team to use money on a vet FA for a different position if necessary and essentially saving money on the position.