Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Will (Should) Holliday be returning the punts?

Trindon is definitely a threat to opponents but lately he's been more of a threat to us on these punt returns. His fumbles (in general) and fair catch calls to let it bounce inside the 5 against the Chargers really killed our momentum and allowed Rivers to watch the time on the clock shed off.

Will Trindon be receiving all the punts in the game or do you guys think we will be seeing Welker? Or both?
    Quote Originally Posted by darth-hideous View Post
    Champ losing a step, just means the rest of the NFL is now only two steps behind.
    Adopted by: CanDB & Peanut

He had a lot of confidence earlier in the season that disappeared somewhere along the way (right around the Colts game). He looks tentative and indecisive back there.

Hopefully he's taken this time to get his groove back. Some of that is on the coaches too.

Definitely think he should be returning kicks. As for punts if the ball has a chance of being received inside the 20 put Welker or Decker back there. If it is most likely going to hit outside the 20 let Holliday take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogansquest View Post
    He had a lot of confidence earlier in the season that disappeared somewhere along the way (right around the Colts game). He looks tentative and indecisive back there.

Hopefully he's taken this time to get his groove back. Some of that is on the coaches too.
    I agree. I'm not exactly sure when he flipped the switch but instead of opponents hearts beating when he receives the punt, it's now ours. I would love to see him gain that confidence back and be effective this game but I would rather put Welker back there and not take a chance. We have see a punt situation really affect our outcomes of some important games.

he'll prolly be in there on both PR KO but will be holding our breath every time they kick off n punt...

I agree on having Holliday back for kick offs but in my opinion I'd have Caldwell returning punts. Very underated in my eyes.

We can't just fair catch everything and hope for the best though. Special Teams are important and we need field position. Moving the ball is always harder in the playoffs.

I am sure the coaches have worked on something this week and aren't just ignoring it.

It's a dilemma. Clearly, Holliday's returns didn't make a difference in winning the game against Baltimore, a year ago. Even with 2 returns for TDs. And, he could very well be the difference in losing the game next week, especially if it's as cold, with predicted snow, as I expect. But, there's an old adage from Darrell Royal that says, "You dance with the one who brung you." I can't imagine Holliday being on this team if the coaches weren't planning on using him. And you don't ever go into a game planning for failure.

I say, "Play him".

I respect and admire what Holliday did for us last season. Especially in the playoff game. But I think, for this year, the Holliday experiment should be over with.

Having Manning on offense negates any 'need' for great field position. It's just more important to just secure the ball. Sure it always helps to have a little better field position, but we can't risk any turn overs.

If I was the one making the decisions I'd make Holliday a healthy scratch and try and develop him in the offseason (if possible). If he shows some development, then let him improve again during the reg season next year again and take it from there.

He can be one of the best ever, but he not only can't secure the ball, sometimes he doesn't make the right choices to fair catch or let it go etc
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

He looks very indecisive on punt situations, like he can't decide whether to field the ball or let it go. I am sure the coaches have worked on this and have a plan. I say play him, unless he asks nervous or uncertain. Field position is important, especially in the playoffs, but can't turn the ball over on a fumble.

Put Decker or dt back there. Decker has done well returning punts, dt flashed on kickoffs and is explosive. Holliday can still return kickoffs. If he gets a few big returns there, I'd give him a shot returning punts

Quote Originally Posted by Doogansquest View Post

Could it have been after the Mcafee hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen.taco View Post
    Could it have been after the Mcafee hit?
    Actually, that's an interesting point. He got walloped on that hit. I would have on KO's but not on punts. But I would not use Welker coming off 2 concussions.

Try Decker or Caldwell and work with Holliday in the off season to restore his confidence.

He has to earn his keep. It's sink or swim for him. If we're not going to use him, then we might as well cut him and sign another depth player. He was a few plays away from being on DWTS last year. Time for him to man-up and hold onto the ball!!!!

He needs to regain his confidence, a start to that would be faith from the coaches. So he should start the game returning kicks and punts. But if he fumbles/muffs the ball he should be taken out. Can't risk more turnovers in a playoff game.