Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,913

    Championship Game

    Does anyone have any thoughts about which team will win the so-called championship game and why?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    8,961
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts about which team will win the so-called championship game and why?
    I think Florida St will beat Auburn, I just think they are more well rounded complete team. Auburn has a great running game & I can't take anything from them, but they needed a couple of small miracles to get to the BCS Championship game. One be that hail mary against a average Georgia & then the run back against Alabama. Rooting for Auburn but I don't think they will pull it off.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    2,531
    Florida State cause they have the best QB in the Nation, and I cant stand the SEC its beyond time they finally lose!!!
    oh YEAH?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,660
    Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    I think Florida St will beat Auburn, I just think they are more well rounded complete team. Auburn has a great running game & I can't take anything from them, but they needed a couple of small miracles to get to the BCS Championship game. One be that hail mary against a average Georgia & then the run back against Alabama. Rooting for Auburn but I don't think they will pull it off.
    Let's not over exaggerate what happened against Georgia.

    It was just a course correction.

    Auburn stopped Aaron MurrAy on 4th and goal at the 1. The only reason the call wasn't overturned is because for some stupid illogical reason CBS doesn't feel the need to put cameras on both sides of the field. As if an angle would never need to be seen from the east side of the field.

    If CBs had cameras on all sides as they should I think the angle would've clearly shown Murray short.

    So to me the so called miracle was just course correction for the mistake by the refs and the proper team won.
    We also dominated that game and were up 20

    It was mindless conservatism that let Georgia back in the game. So let's not act like we were getting handled prior to the Hail Mary.

    As for Bama you look at it as luck again. I look at it as we went toe to toe with the clear #1 for 59:59 and were tied before the kick six. So people need to stop acting like Bama would've automatically won if not for that play. Either team could've won in OT

    As to the OP question yes despite my fan hood I too fear FSU as the more complete team and think we will lose. But to sit here and pretend we don't have an extremely great chance to pull the upset is ludicrous.

    If we can beat Bama we can beat anybody. Saying that is one thing though. Pulling it off is another. I just hope for a great game.

    If we lose FSU will definitely have earned it.

    But if we win on another last second play I don't want to hear any of this mess about how lucky we are. Beating #1 twice and #4 is impressive. You have to be toe to toe with them for 59 minutes to be in position to beat them in the last minute.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Axemaster View Post
    Florida State cause they have the best QB in the Nation, and I cant stand the SEC its beyond time they finally lose!!!
    Appreciate the Broncos country brotherly love!





    NOT

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    8,961
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Let's not over exaggerate what happened against Georgia.

    It was just a course correction.

    Auburn stopped Aaron MurrAy on 4th and goal at the 1. The only reason the call wasn't overturned is because for some stupid illogical reason CBS doesn't feel the need to put cameras on both sides of the field. As if an angle would never need to be seen from the east side of the field.

    If CBs had cameras on all sides as they should I think the angle would've clearly shown Murray short.

    So to me the so called miracle was just course correction for the mistake by the refs and the proper team won.
    We also dominated that game and were up 20

    It was mindless conservatism that let Georgia back in the game. So let's not act like we were getting handled prior to the Hail Mary.

    As for Bama you look at it as luck again. I look at it as we went toe to toe with the clear #1 for 59:59 and were tied before the kick six. So people need to stop acting like Bama would've automatically won if not for that play. Either team could've won in OT

    As to the OP question yes despite my fan hood I too fear FSU as the more complete team and think we will lose. But to sit here and pretend we don't have an extremely great chance to pull the upset is ludicrous.

    If we can beat Bama we can beat anybody. Saying that is one thing though. Pulling it off is another. I just hope for a great game.

    If we lose FSU will definitely have earned it.

    But if we win on another last second play I don't want to hear any of this mess about how lucky we are. Beating #1 twice and #4 is impressive. You have to be toe to toe with them for 59 minutes to be in position to beat them in the last minute.

    Don't get it twisted I'm not taking anything away from Auburn, they are a great team & did what they had to do in those situations to win those particular games. However I feel if Florida St shuts down Auburn's run that could spell trouble. I don't feel Auburn can win this game by throwing the ball, I feel Florida St is the more complete team.


    On the other hand if Auburn can run the ball & play sound defense they could very well win the game. I can only base my opinion on Florida St on the opponents they have faced & Florida ST's schedule was no SEC schedule that's for sure.




    In the end this is why they play the game....
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,660
    Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    Don't get it twisted I'm not taking anything away from Auburn, they are a great team & did what they had to do in those situations to win those particular games. However I feel if Florida St shuts down Auburn's run that could spell trouble. I don't feel Auburn can win this game by throwing the ball, I feel Florida St is the more complete team.


    On the other hand if Auburn can run the ball & play sound defense they could very well win the game. I can only base my opinion on Florida St on the opponents they have faced & Florida ST's schedule was no SEC schedule that's for sure.




    In the end this is why they play the game....
    I think everyone knows the key to beat Auburn is to stop the run game.

    Problem is no one can do it. Not even Bama. If anyone has the D to do it it's Bama and they didn't. Noles might but I doubt it.

    Question is can they limit it enough?

    I think we get our yards and points.

    I think the real key to the game is what can our defense do?

    If we can't get any stops at all I don't think our offense can score enough. As long as we don't go down double digits we will not resort to the pass. But if we have to yes we will be in trouble.


    Our defense is bad but not as bad as people think. They look at A&M's 45 and Mizzou's 42 and think that's the norm for our defense. But it's not.

    We kept opponents under 25 all year except A&M, Bama, Georgia (which was due to a 4th quarter meltdown) and Mizzou.

    But we held 9 of 13 opponents to less than 25 points. Our offense can outscore that.

    The secondary is atrocious though. If we can limit Winston which is a tall task then we can win.

    I will say this though. There are lots more questions regarding can we do this or can we do that than there are about Florida st though. I'll be the first to admit that.

    I just don't want to get owned like ND did last year or LSU the year before.

    I want to show up and have a chance in the last 5 minutes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,002
    I kind of have a feeling it's going to be another blowout. Nothing against Auburn, as I think they have a great team this year, it's just I haven't seen any team indicate they could keep up with Florida State this year.

    Hopefully I'm wrong, because I would like to see a competitive game, but every single win FSU has had this year has been very convincing. Winston has that team on another level.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,660
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
    I kind of have a feeling it's going to be another blowout. Nothing against Auburn, as I think they have a great team this year, it's just I haven't seen any team indicate they could keep up with Florida State this year.

    Hopefully I'm wrong, because I would like to see a competitive game, but every single win FSU has had this year has been very convincing. Winston has that team on another level.
    I would argue they have won convincingly because they haven't played anybody.

    68th strength of schedule in the country.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    793
    I think this is a mirror of the Broncos-Chargers game. Florida State relies on Winston to win for the team, much like Denver relies on Peyton Manning. And just like that game if Auburn can run the ball and control the clock, it wins.

    Don't get me wrong, FSU's defense isn't bad, but it's certainly no 'Bama. Unfortunately for FSU, it can't seem to stop the run - yes, I know they're top-10 in the country in rush yards per carry. However, those stats are padded in FSU's favor for two reasons. First, most teams are playing from behind when it comes to playing against FSU, which helps the defense out tremendously. Secondly, FSU has benefited from playing teams like Duke, Wake Forest, and Maryland - none of which have nearly the kind of rushing attack Auburn does. The best rushing team FSU played was Boston College, and BC ran for over 200 yards on FSU. In addition, Alabama is easily the best defense in the country and Auburn ran all over "Bama.

    Secondly, FSU's stats are heavily skewed towards stopping runs between the tackles. Against FSU, RBs average about 3.1 yds/carry between the tackles, but over 5 yds/carry outside. Auburn (and not just Mason, but Marshall, Grant, and Artis-Payne) routinely run to the outside and are averaging well over 6 yds/carry doing so.

    So this goes back to my point about the Broncos-Chargers game. Blueprint for Auburn is run the ball, wear down FSU, control the clock, and keep Winston watching from the sidelines. If FSU can stop the run it wins in a blow out, but that's a big IF.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,660
    Quote Originally Posted by SinePari View Post
    I think this is a mirror of the Broncos-Chargers game. Florida State relies on Winston to win for the team, much like Denver relies on Peyton Manning. And just like that game if Auburn can run the ball and control the clock, it wins.

    Don't get me wrong, FSU's defense isn't bad, but it's certainly no 'Bama. Unfortunately for FSU, it can't seem to stop the run - yes, I know they're top-10 in the country in rush yards per carry. However, those stats are padded in FSU's favor for two reasons. First, most teams are playing from behind when it comes to playing against FSU, which helps the defense out tremendously. Secondly, FSU has benefited from playing teams like Duke, Wake Forest, and Maryland - none of which have nearly the kind of rushing attack Auburn does. The best rushing team FSU played was Boston College, and BC ran for over 200 yards on FSU. In addition, Alabama is easily the best defense in the country and Auburn ran all over "Bama.

    Secondly, FSU's stats are heavily skewed towards stopping runs between the tackles. Against FSU, RBs average about 3.1 yds/carry between the tackles, but over 5 yds/carry outside. Auburn (and not just Mason, but Marshall, Grant, and Artis-Payne) routinely run to the outside and are averaging well over 6 yds/carry doing so.

    So this goes back to my point about the Broncos-Chargers game. Blueprint for Auburn is run the ball, wear down FSU, control the clock, and keep Winston watching from the sidelines. If FSU can stop the run it wins in a blow out, but that's a big IF.
    Only problem with this is our style is not to control clock. We run a lot but it's still up tempo, hurry hurry hurry, score as fast as possible.

    Whenever we get conservative and slow down to kill clock we don't execute well. See the end of the Georgia game.

    Yes we have to run well. But not slow clock killing ground attack.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,913
    I like Auburn's offense. Its core run plays are same as Wing-T: Trap, Sweep, Counter, Boot. Unlike Tubby Raymond's Wing-T, they run it out of various direct snap formations some of which are Single Wing. They often use a Blocking Back behind LOS like Single Wing. They run some Option and Veer to supplement the Wing-T playbook. It's a no-huddle, hurry-up offense. Hope I'm out of recovery in time to catch the game.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,002
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I would argue they have won convincingly because they haven't played anybody.

    68th strength of schedule in the country.
    I agree with that, but you can't blame them for winning games that they are supposed to win. A lot of good teams will play down to lower teams and end up losing games that they have no business losing. And even when playing Clemson on primetime television, they embarrassed them on their own field.

    Like I said, I hope its a close game, I just have a feeling it won't be.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,660
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
    I agree with that, but you can't blame them for winning games that they are supposed to win. A lot of good teams will play down to lower teams and end up losing games that they have no business losing. And even when playing Clemson on primetime television, they embarrassed them on their own field.

    Like I said, I hope its a close game, I just have a feeling it won't be.
    I'm worried might be. But I think our run game is too good to get completely waxed.

    But I could see us losing like 45-28 where it was never really in question.

    We keep saying down here that after 3-9 last year everything has been icing on the cake after beating A&M to clinch a bowl.

    And then beating Bama and SEC title was season is a major success regardless. But I know good and well I will be mad and dissappointed if we lose. Especially if it's bad.

    I keep saying though if we can beat Bama we can beat anyone on the right night. So hopefully Monday night is the right night.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    8,961
    One day away from this game, can't wait.....
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •