Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rank the FAB 4

This is really tough. You have to take into account what each does well. While Welker is definitely the least likely of the bunch to catch a 60 yard TD pass, he's the most likely to bail us out on 3rd and 6. It all depends on what type of receiver you prefer.

That being said, I'd still have to go:

1. DT
    2. JT
    3. Decker
    4. Welker

DT and Decker seem to get the most production, but the matchup nightmare that JT commands is too valuable IMO. Welker is a reliable receiver to get some quick yards, but if I had to choose one to let go, it would probably be Welker.

Quote Originally Posted by bgpatsfan View Post
    Same production for a tenth of the price. Wes is making what 6 million this year? Edelman is making 800k. That is value, especially when Welker hasn't been healthy either.

Edelman 105 catches on 151 targets for 1,056 yards and 6 TDs
    Welker 73 catches on 110 targets for 778 yards and 10 TDs.

Edelman finished #4 in the league in receptions while making veteran minimum. I would say it was a wise decision to let Welker walk for 6 mil especially now with the injury concerns.

Plus, Edelman had a better catch rate and fewer drops on more targets.

Amendola on the other hand, they are paying for future production. Going to the adage, "better to let a player to go a year early than a year too late" or "don't pay for past production". Welker has next season max before he retires. 3 concussions in one month this year and he ll be 33 next season. Done after this contract is up.

Edelman this, Edelman that! Who cares about stinking Edelman! This post said Denver Broncos fab 4!

Same production for a tenth of the price. Wes is making what 6 million this year? Edelman is making 800k. That is value, especially when Welker hasn't been healthy either.

Edelman finished #4 in the league in receptions while making veteran minimum. I would say it was a wise decision to let Welker walk for 6 mil especially now with the injury concerns.

Amendola on the other hand, they are paying for future production. Going to the adage, "better to let a player to go a year early than a year too late" or "don't pay for past production". Welker has next season max before he retires. 3 concussions in one month this year and he ll be 33 next season. Done after this contract is up.
    I guarantee you if you ask Tom Brady if he can have one player for this game between Welker and Edelman he chooses Welker. We all heard of the hissy fit he threw when he heard about him coming to Denver.

The stats are meaningless as well. We are talking about two completely different offenses. Welker has to compete with pass catchers in the premise of this thread. He also missed about 4 games with concussions. Had Welker had a full season on the depleted receiving corps of NE he could've potentially had his best numbers ever.

And they paid Amendola for future production? What a ridiculous statement. I know the Pats like to grow their players and they do a great job doing so but you don't pay a guy 5 mil a year to learn. Everyone inside and outside of NE know that Amendola was brought in to replace Welker. They're lucky Edelman stepped his game up.
    Last edited by JW7; 01-16-2014 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    I guarantee you if you ask Tom Brady if he can have one player for this game between Welker and Edelman he chooses Welker. We all heard of the hissy fit he threw when he heard about him coming to Denver.

The stats are meaningless as well. We are talking about two completely different offenses. Welker has to compete with pass catchers in the premise of this thread. He also missed about 4 games with concussions. Had Welker had a full season on the depleted receiving corps of NE he could've potentially had his best numbers ever.

And they paid Amendola for future production? What a ridiculous statement. I know the Pats like to grow their players and they do a great job doing so but you don't pay a guy 5 mil a year to learn. Everyone inside and outside of NE know that Amendola was brought in to replace Welker. They're lucky Edelman stepped his game up.
    On the Felger and Mazz show up here in Boston on Monday, they spent almost 4 hours of the show talking about this. While they think Edelman has emerged into a solid player for them, the sports reporters and almost all the fans who called in are still smarting over the loss of Wes.

They still pick Wes over Edelman all day, everyday. However, they did say that Wes hasn't looked the same since the concussions, but would still take him.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    1. DT without question
    2. JT
    3. Decker - too many mistakes but comes back better the next game
    4. Welker - he has not been the same since his concussions.
    Agree, Welker has had some dropped passes after the concussion

I feel the same way about letting DE/LB E. Dumervil walk and replacing him
    with DE/LB S. Phillips.

The only difference with WR W. Welker is that we never had a player like him in our offense,
    so his price tag is justified…although TE J Tamme has done a nice job filling in for him.

As an outsider I'd say:

1) DT
    2) JT
    3) Decker
    4) Welker

Very confidently.

Quote Originally Posted by cbroncos724 View Post
    Agree, Welker has had some dropped passes after the concussion
    He dropped some passes before the concussions too. Don't get me wrong Wes was a great player and did a lot here in New England, but he just never made THE catch. 2011 SB loss and last year AFCCG loss all come to mind, where Wes had critical drops in key situations.

He dropped some passes before the concussions too. Don't get me wrong Wes was a great player and did a lot here in New England, but he just never made THE catch. 2011 SB loss and last year AFCCG loss all come to mind, where Wes had critical drops in key situations.
    Of course it is never TB who made a bad throw.

I still think it's tough to simply call the one in the Super Bowl a drop. Would have been a great catch. Not an amazing catch....but a great one.

Other than that, I think it's completely fair to point out that Welker has consistently dropped a lot of passes...some of those in critical situations.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Of course it is never TB who made a bad throw.
    If the pass to Welker last Sunday vs the Chargers was a drop then so was the Super Bowl throw. Hit him right in the hands in less traffic

you almost have to qualifiy the rankings. There are so many factors that change their impact on a game...experience, physical skills, knack of making plays ect.

If we just had to rate them overall...

1. Welker - physically the last ranked but his ability to find a way to make plays surpasses them all and how he impacts the game
    2. DT - The most physcally talented and probably has the highest potential...has come a long way but needs more to prove.
    3. JT - the ability to do what he does out of the TE spot just makes him so difficult to stop
    4. Decker - Would be first WR on some teams and 2nd on nearly every other team.
    Win lose or tie Bronco fan til I die