Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

can we handle hawks defensively?

Lynch is a beast to bring down. Reminds me of Pittsburgh's "the bus" from the revenge tour of the late 90's. How can the broncos handle him defensively? My thought is if only we had 3 Knighton's (Pot Roast!). As the game goes on, Lynch will be difficult to bring down. Russell Wilson can escape and does earn yards by running from pressure-Sunday he was running backwards quite often and if he was dropped it would have been huge loss, but he does often get away. Thoughts on Denver's defense against the hawks offense?

I think the Broncos defense has found its chemistry at the most opportune time - I think we will stuff Lynch for most of the first half, and by the time the 2nd half comes, the Hawks will have to play catchup and start passing more... Our linebackers are pretty fast and can contain Wilson pretty much. I just hope no one gets hurt in the secondary and we have to put Jammer or Webster in... To be honest the Patriots offensively were a lot more scary to me then the Hawks are - we stopped Brady from making one of his miraculous comeback - because believe me it was brewing and had we not stopped them on that 2 point conversion, oh boy!

Lynch is very good, but we've stopped a lot of very good backs this year. New England's ground game was on all cylinders until last week. We played a lot of guys like LeSean McCoy, MJD, McFadden, Jamal Charles,etc and no one really beat us this year with the run except in the second meet with SD. A big factor here is whether our offense can get up by two scores or so. We've done that so much this year but we all know about Seattle's D. But taking away the option of the run is even more effective than having 3 Knighton's in stopping the run. We just can't give Lynch the opportunity to turn on second half "beast mode."

Quote Originally Posted by Giddy'up View Post
    I think the Broncos defense has found its chemistry at the most opportune time - I think we will stuff Lynch for most of the first half, and by the time the 2nd half comes, the Hawks will have to play catchup and start passing more... Our linebackers are pretty fast and can contain Wilson pretty much. I just hope no one gets hurt in the secondary and we have to put Jammer or Webster in... To be honest the Patriots offensively were a lot more scary to me then the Hawks are - we stopped Brady from making one of his miraculous comeback - because believe me it was brewing and had we not stopped them on that 2 point conversion, oh boy!
    I agree with you 100% on this.

Our D can stop them. Their D can slow us down. But not enough for their O to outscore us.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

It's all about the matchups. Manning will find the weak link and exploit it like he has done all year. Our defense needs to answer the call and have one last great game. I can't wait for this game, it's going to be one for the ages.

Defense wins championships

I think we're going to see a heavy dose of read option. Wilson will be used on designed runs quite a bit more than we've seen so far this season.

Russell Wilson is a joke and the Broncos will dare him to beat us. He can't and won't.
    Anyone seen Jake Plummer?

Quote Originally Posted by trc1962 View Post
    Thoughts on Denver's defense against the hawks offense?
    Seahawk fan here. I just wanted to first congratulate the Broncos on a great season and I'm excited to see my Hawks #1 defense bump heads against the #1 offense in the NFL. THAT is going to be epic!

As far as Denver's defense versus the Seahawk offense, well, I think that a lot will depend on which Seahawk teams shows up at the SB. In the early part of the season Russell Wilson would break from the pocket earlier and look for an open receiver while he was on the run. Lately, he has been camping in the pocket and has had his ass handed to him on more than one occasion. It seems like the last six games there has been a concerted effort on his part to show that he can be a "pocket passer", and it has hurt the team.

The passing game of the Seahawks is predicated by the run game. Seattle does play action passing more than any other team in the NFL. If the run game is working, the passing game gets a lift. If the passing game ISN'T working, like it hasn't since the end of November, then opposing defenses have an opportunity to stack up the line and dare Wilson to throw the ball.

IF, Wilson abandons his attempt to prove that he can be a pocket passing QB, then the offense will be much more dynamic. If you see Wilson dropping back, taking a quick look, and then moving lateral to give his receivers more time to get open, it could be a long day for the Denver defense since a working passing game helps the run game.

Oh, and it is going to be a tremendous help having Percy Harvin back. He doesn't even have to touch the ball to have an impact on how a defense game plans. With his speed, look for the Denver safeties to play back an extra yard or two to compensate. What works in Seattle's favor is that Wilson has great touch on a deep ball, and Harvin will stretch the defense.

All in all, this has the makings of a game of the ages. Now, we just need both teams to live up to the hype, right?

Blount was the hottest runner in the league over the last month, but the Broncos easily shut him down, so hopefully we can just do the same thing to the Seahawks. Granted, they won't be as willing to abandon the run game as the Pats were, but if we can jump out with a couple of early TDs they may not have a choice...

Quote Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
    Russell Wilson is a joke and the Broncos will dare him to beat us. He can't and won't.
    I don't think Wilson is a joke. He's a different type of QB, not like a Manning or Brady. I actually admire his pass first mentality. The key to him is to keep him in the pocket. Once he scrambles, the pass coverage reacts and then Wilson exploits the breakdown in coverage. Keep him playing the short game and our defense has a golden opportunity.

Wilson's main problem might not be passing or running, per se, but nerves. He looked very rattled for most of the game and quite subdued on the sidelines. A few timely miscues could make a long game for Seattle.

Lynch is a beast, but we'll only know come game time what effect he'll have on the game. I think he might have a few good runs, but I expect we'll be able to contain him fairly well. If and when we are up a few scores, he'll become less a factor. If the score is tight, Seattle will maximize his use to control the clock.

I'd much rather face Wilson, Lynch and the Seahawks than the 49ers who in my opinion have a much better offence with Gore, Boldin, Crabtree, Davis and Kaepernick all of which have Super Bowl experience.
    All in for Siemian!

Did you see how hot the Bolts O was coming into Mile High in the Divisional Rd.?
    Did you see how we made Brady and Belichick look like the former Mark Sanchez and Rex Ryan?

Those AFC Offenses were easily two of the most dangerous in football. San Diego may be a struggling team, but Rivers on a good day can torch any D on any given Sunday. And Brady needs no explanation. Russell Wilson is a very talented young QB in my opinion. But is he ready to be able to calm himself down in the heat of pressure?

Someone else mentioned we have stopped great runners all season. Plus we made Matthews and LeBlount look like chumps. NE had 11 rushing yards in the first half combined I believe. Marshawn Lynch will pound in a few first downs. But wont be able to sustain it long enough to keep up with Peyton.

Everyone boasts that Defense wins championships. And they are absolutely right. Ours will win it for us. But the guy who said it's a team sport was also absolutely right. Because if nobody is helping Seattle's D out on the other side of the ball. Peyton only needs them to make the slightest mistake

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWeberOrBust View Post
    I'd much rather face Wilson, Lynch and the Seahawks than the 49ers who in my opinion have a much better offence with Gore, Boldin, Crabtree, Davis and Kaepernick all of which have Super Bowl experience.
    I agree. I also think Kaepernick can do damage to us on the ground. He's fast, and we've struggled with mobile QB's all year. I know Wilson is mobile, but I think Kaep is better. And heck Alex Smith ran a good few yards on us in both games we played...

Quote Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
    Wilson's no joke and I like him over all the other young QB's (Kaepernick, Luck, Newton, RG 'Me-Me-Me').

I just hope his late season struggles continue on Super Sunday.

I agree with the person above who says we may see a good dose of read option. It's the last game for all the marbles. I think you take the risk of Wilson getting hurt for that extra advantage.

Also, even if Wilson doesn't burn us with the run off read option that can still hold the backside DE, hurting pursuit and opening up cutback lanes for the RBs.

Them getting Harvin back hurts. Seattle comes into this game as a very healthy team while we are missing 5 key players on defense, especially Von, Harris, and Moore. I would feel a lot better about limiting Wilson with Von chasing him around the field and Harris shutting down their receivers.