View Poll Results: When would you allow your offense to go for it on 4th down?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st Qtr

4 26.67%
  • 2nd Qtr

2 13.33%
  • 3rd Qtr

8 53.33%
  • 4th Qtr

1 6.67%
  • Never

0 0%
Page 61 of 97 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 ... LastLast

If the Football gods believe in Karma...

I've watched all 7 of our Super Bowls.

Sadly, we are the poster child of losers now.
    We won one game in an epic battle, barely. (GB)
    We beat the falcons soundly the next year.

But..
    Our best defense ever, the orange crush had to deal with the offense giving up 8 turnovers in the loss to dallas.
    The game against the Giants, we were soundly beat in the second half.
    The game against the Redskins, we had the worst quarter ever by a team, beat by a backup qb.
    The loss to SF was the worst sb loss ever. It's even one of the worst games counting regular season.

And now our epic record breaking offense, gets 8 points in the latest beating.

----

As fans, we have over the years developed some thick skins. We may no longer be the loudest. But we are among the most faithful. We are also tough...

So.... if there are football gods, here my prayer:
    Just once in my lifetime, I would like to know what it's like for my team to play their best game of the season in the super bowl, while the other team has an epic meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by gorky View Post

But..
    Our best defense ever, the orange crush had to deal with the offense giving up 8 turnovers in the loss to dallas.
    The game against the Redskins, we had the worst quarter ever by a team, beat by a backup qb.
    The loss to SF was the worst sb loss ever. It's even one of the worst games counting regular season.

----

As fans, we have over the years developed some thick skins. We may no longer be the loudest. But we are among the most faithful. We are also tough...

Just once in my lifetime, I would like to know what it's like for my team to play their best game of the season in the super bowl, while the other team has an epic meltdown.
    I'm with you on this!! I was not a Bronco fan before '97 so I missed some of those earlier Super Bowls. However, I've seen a lot of horrible play by our team that even til this day there's always some doubt going into a game. For some reason we have a soft image and it has not gone away since I've been a fan.

I would very much like a dominating performance and not against the Raiders or Browns. Next season we'll have some chances to show what we got vs the NFC West.

Quote Originally Posted by gorky View Post

But..

----

Or we could be like Seattle and put our faith in HGH.

I feel good about our chances for continued success, keep watching Seattle to see what karma is all about.
    [

A Jets fans thoughts on the game

Well, that was mind blowing. Living in New York, I did see a ton of Broncos games this year. In fact I saw nearly all of them. You guys had the most prime time games and your 4:00 games were always the "game of the week" on Fox/CBS so I saw the majority of those too. I watched your team very closely, and I believe I know just as much about them as the next Bronco fan.

Here is what irked me, thinking back to the game:

1) The first half play calling. You have the greatest offense of all time, and you choose to go with a screen/low tempo offense to begin the game? At the end of the first half when Manning went up-tempo, the pass rush was completely neutralized and he was sitting back, picking the defense apart. I do not understand the conservative play calling and refusal to go up tempo until falling into a huge deficit. I thought Denver's game plan was going to be fast paced from the start - there is no resting for next week. There is no "tiring out" your players. It's the Super Bowl, and allowing Seattle's defensive line to rejuvenate themselves after every snap instead of running them into the ground with a quick no huddle had me dumbfounded.

2) That second half kickoff. Lackluster coaching. You have a kicker who booted an NFL record 64 yarder through the uprights, and you choose to keep the ball in play in todays NFL where touchbacks are almost a certainty with an average leg? This is what ended the game, hands down. 22 points, 3 TDs almost guaranteed Denver to make it a game in my opinion. But that call was just god awful.

3) The team simply wasn't prepared for the crowd noise. John Fox's excuse was absolutely ridiculous. "The Superbowls I went to were never loud." That is lackluster coaching again.

4) I just got an ESPN notification on my phone quoting Sherman, saying they knew Manning's hand signals; allowing them to jump certain routes. That directly relates to not being prepared for the crowd noise.

5) Lack of pass rush. Man were you guys missing Von Miller. It was rough to watch. Secondary did a phenomenal job in pass coverage the majority of the time but Wilson had all day to throw.

6) Under center play action. Manning is arguably the most effective when this is utilized. It was deadly in Indy, and it has been deadly in Denver. Did the Broncos run an under center play action this post season? I think the coaching staff got a little too comfortable with the pistol formation.

7) Of course, the offensive line got pummeled. Clark was having a very hard time on Peyton's blindside and you can tell the QB noticed. You missed Clady immensely and the pass rush was borderline absurd, Seattle came to play no question.

These are quirks off the top of my head. There are more but I don't feel like thinking too hard at the moment. However, I will say I think coaching was a very big reason for this loss. Manning didn't play well at all, but he didn't play bad enough to put you in a 36-0 hole, not even close.

John Fox has something to prove next year because the team simply cannot come out like that again. An awful challenge, awful game plan on offense, awful decision on the kickoff, and his 4th down calls contradicted themselves. I fully expect a Seattle-Denver rematch in the Super Bowl next season. At the very least, I see no reason why Denver doesn't come out of the AFC with Miller, Harris, Vickerson, & Clady coming back.

Very tough pill to swallow, definitely a brutal game. I didn't enjoy it, I was pulling hard for you guys. Time heals all, the #1 seed is waiting for you in 2014.
    Last edited by Jetfan9922; 02-04-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Absolutely fantastic analysis.

I share your prayer, Gorky!

But we are the not the 0-4 Bills nor Vikings-- they are still the worst IMO with NO Lombardis for all those appearances. As are all the other teams that haven't won one or even made it.

I prefer to see the glass half full:

7 Conference Championship trophies
    2 World Championships trophies

Agreed!!!! Everything I was thinking but stated way better than I could have LOL :cheers"

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    Or we could be like Seattle and put our faith in HGH.

I feel good about our chances for continued success, keep watching Seattle to see what karma is all about.
    I thought it was Adderal? Wouldn't suprise me if that defense popped something before the game.

I have to agree with your entire assessment. I'm hoping a lesson was learned and the coaching/strategy will move forward from this.

Also, if the Jets could beat the Patriots both times they play, it would help Denver get the #1 seed again.

Offensive line play dictates play calling. There is a reason they ran a lot of screens and short passes early on.

Maybe it wasn't the initial plan but it became the initial plan after the crowd noise factor and the butt whooping the OL got early in the game.

Tough to win a game when all your prep goes out the window early.

I think your analysis is as accurate as any I have seen from an objective outsider.

#3 was particularly insulting when I heard the excuses coming. This isn't to say that there was not an appreciable affect that the noise had, but not being prepared for the possibility? Hello?

Play calling was also, as you pointed out, strangely bizarre. Circumstances were obviously, the but the results of last years play calling at the end of the divisional game against the Ravens and this year's SB against the Seahawks were strange at best, novice at worse.

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    I share your prayer, Gorky!

But we are the not the 0-4 Bills nor Vikings-- they are still the worst IMO with NO Lombardis for all those appearances. As are all the other teams that haven't won one or even made it.

I prefer to see the glass half full:

7 Conference Championship trophies
    2 World Championships trophies
    I see the glass half full too.

I was just giving the consensus opinion of our team around the nation. It's wrong... but that is what I'm getting.

Quote Originally Posted by 18to88 View Post
    Offensive line play dictates play calling. There is a reason they ran a lot of screens and short passes early on.

Maybe it wasn't the initial plan but it became the initial plan after the crowd noise factor and the butt whooping the OL got early in the game.

Tough to win a game when all your prep goes out the window early.
    While I agree with this, there has to be more with the dismal play the entire game. When we became more aggressive we became more (albeit by a small margin) successful. I believed the entire play calling was so screwed up because the "plan" wasn't working and there was no clear head in the bunch with the play calling afterward. Very pedestrian.

Strong analysis.

Some people are saying things like, "Seattle came out and punched them in the mouth!" Really, that's not what happened, as Denver gave up 5 points before Seattle even started playing defense.