View Poll Results: When would you allow your offense to go for it on 4th down?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st Qtr

4 26.67%
  • 2nd Qtr

2 13.33%
  • 3rd Qtr

8 53.33%
  • 4th Qtr

1 6.67%
  • Never

0 0%
Page 60 of 97 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 ... LastLast
    Bruno Mars played the drums.

I think this will be a very interesting offseason. Even though we looked so awful on offense, I wouldn't spend a lot of time on fixing it. Clady coming back will help the line a lot. DT, Welker, and Thomas are locks and we pretty much know their game. Decker has his flaws, but I wouldn't mind seeing him back,but definitely wouldn't want to see us throw a whole lot of money at him. The biggest expense I'd like to see on offense is bringing in an explosive RB. Knowshon is probably gone and Ball is improving, but we need a dangerous RB. Peyton can light it up usually, but when the spread offense isn't working like on Sunday, I want us to be able to go to the 12 package with a RB that scares the defense just as much as Peyton.

Defensively, I'd like to see a change in mentality. We weren't as bad as most thought we were defensively, but even with Von, Vickerson, Harris, and Moore coming back, I don't see a violent player on our team. Moore and Duke are decent hitters, but as we now know, intimidation goes a long way in football. I'd like to get a MLB, Safety or CB that's known for laying the wood. We need a new Steve Atwater, a new Romanoski type of hitter. I'm not opposed to dropping Champs salary way down and putting him at safety.

I'm sure it's been mentioned in the first 34 pages of this thread but going forward, I think the Broncos really need to take a page out of Seattle's book. I think all of us knew all year that if we ran into a team that disrupted the Bronco offense, the team was going to be in big, BIG trouble. Seattle did that. And it surely didn't help that the Bronco offense played the worst possible game, at the worst possible time. What happened, happened and it's time to move on and prepare for next year.

But if there was one thing this forum, and most talking heads have mentioned, it's that you learn more about your teams deficiencies after a loss than you do during a win. To me at least, it's clear that this team relies WAY too much on Peyton Manning. In the words of Gregg Williams, if you take the head off, the body dies. And that's what appeared to happen at the Super Bowl.

Going forward, the Broncos really need to turn into a two headed monster, that's where taking a page from Seattle's book comes into play. The focus was strictly on their defense. Denver needs to bring in some players that can play with some intensity, love to lay the hits on people, and are cocky. I just don't see that type of player in the current CB's or safeties. Well, maybe Duke, but the rest of them play kind of soft IMO, and can't tackle at all. Personally, I don't think JDR is the right coach for that type of defense, and honestly, I was very unimpressed with him with year. After Von went down, I do think the defense played much better as a whole.

Ultimately, I think this team needs to morph into a defense oriented team, that other teams fear first, and also just happens to have a HOF QB in Manning. Up against the cap like they are though, that's easier said than done.

Champ and PM both need to take less money. Having $30 million wrapped up in two 36+ year old players is CRAZY!. Draft time, the focus should be on defense, defense, and more defense. I thought the DL played pretty well most of the season, and really like what I see from them moving forward.

I say they let Decker, Moreno, Mike Adams, Jammer, and Beadles walk. I've seen enough out of Monte Ball, and think he should be the starter. I think we could land Darren McFadden on the cheap, and he can back up Monte Ball. Please do NOT draft another RB! If Woodyard will resign cheap, then OK but I'm not opposed to letting him walk either. And Trindon Holliday can go as well. They don't want him returning punts, and he loves to bring it out of the end zone and make it to the 12-15 yard line. He's really just taking up a spot on the active roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry2 View Post
    I'm sure it's been mentioned in the first 34 pages of this thread but going forward, I think the Broncos really need to take a page out of Seattle's book. I think all of us knew all year that if we ran into a team that disrupted the Bronco offense, the team was going to be in big, BIG trouble. Seattle did that. And it surely didn't help that the Bronco offense played the worst possible game, at the worst possible time. What happened, happened and it's time to move on and prepare for next year.

But if there was one thing this forum, and most talking heads have mentioned, it's that you learn more about your teams deficiencies after a loss than you do during a win. To me at least, it's clear that this team relies WAY too much on Peyton Manning. In the words of Gregg Williams, if you take the head off, the body dies. And that's what appeared to happen at the Super Bowl.

Going forward, the Broncos really need to turn into a two headed monster, that's where taking a page from Seattle's book comes into play. The focus was strictly on their defense. Denver needs to bring in some players that can play with some intensity, love to lay the hits on people, and are cocky. I just don't see that type of player in the current CB's or safeties. Well, maybe Duke, but the rest of them play kind of soft IMO, and can't tackle at all. Personally, I don't think JDR is the right coach for that type of defense, and honestly, I was very unimpressed with him with year. After Von went down, I do think the defense played much better as a whole.

Ultimately, I think this team needs to morph into a defense oriented team, that other teams fear first, and also just happens to have a HOF QB in Manning. Up against the cap like they are though, that's easier said than done.

Champ and PM both need to take less money. Having $30 million wrapped up in two 36+ year old players is CRAZY!. Draft time, the focus should be on defense, defense, and more defense. I thought the DL played pretty well most of the season, and really like what I see from them moving forward.

I say they let Decker, Moreno, Mike Adams, Jammer, and Beadles walk. I've seen enough out of Monte Ball, and think he should be the starter. I think we could land Darren McFadden on the cheap, and he can back up Monte Ball. Please do NOT draft another RB! If Woodyard will resign cheap, then OK but I'm not opposed to letting him walk either. And Trindon Holliday can go as well. They don't want him returning punts, and he loves to bring it out of the end zone and make it to the 12-15 yard line. He's really just taking up a spot on the active roster.

Great post with good points. I especially like the bold... As important as Manning and Bailey are (more so Manning), that is a LOT of money for two players.... especially 36+ year olds.

No reason to sugercoat the Broncos for that Superbowl game.One touch down and a conversion that's it!
    Top it all off is the Broncos didn't even think of using a time out in the last Qt.Broncos knew their plays wasn't working but,yet didn't use a timeout.I did notice that the Broncos was lining up fast enough as Manning always tells them to do.More like if the Broncos was out of steam.
    I never seen a worse played game then this Superbowl.
    I wonder a few things about that game,
    Was the Broncos upset with Manning or jealousy from Manning's publicity.Manning was the only person everyone was talking about before the bowl.Manning,Manning and more Manning is all what was said all the time.Was any other Bronco recognized as much as Manning was I don't think so.To me it looked like if the team mates was upset with Manning and a few decided to make him look bad from the lack of publicity gain.That's possible.
    Or
    A few Broncos was paid off to lose the game.
    Manning signed a 5 yr 98 Million dollar contract with the Broncos.Three more yrs to go will finish that contract.After this superbowl loss will Manning play again or will he retire?The chance that Manning will take the Broncos to another Superbowl in the next 3 yrs is slim to none.Looking at LUCK as a Rookie QT back I don't see Manning keeping up with LUCK.Manning did his job for the Broncos.He did take them to the Superbowl.It's been 15 yrs since the Broncos ever made it to the Superbowl.Some say you can't give full credit to Manning for making it to the Superbowl.But,in the past 15 yrs Manning's been to the Superbowl twice..Should I throw in Eli?lol.Yes full credit is do to Manning!..Broncos sure didn't show any effert in that game did they?lol.
    I was a Colt's fan until the Colt's unloaded Manning then I followed Manning to the Broncos.I will always be a Manning fan.#1 Hall of Famer he is!...Broncos didn't sell it this yr for me to stay with the Broncos.Manning handed the Broncos the Superbowl on a platter and the Broncos throwed it all away.Just shows who was more hungry for it.Another 15 yrs for the Broncos I see.Luck will be the next Peyton Manning.I think the broncos and the colts need to trade QT Backs next yr lol.If Manning would ever go back to the Colts?I see another Superbowl ring for Manning.

Did anyone get a chance to watch the late night show that had Russell wilson on? He was talking about how he went to the superbowl last year to gain experience on how a regular football and the super bowl was. In pregame, halftime and how long the breaks are, man talk about being prepared. It was pretty interesting.

Sorry guys, wrong thread.

Never mind, I clicked on a merged thread
    Last edited by eripey; 02-04-2014 at 11:04 AM.

DEFENSE

I haven't done a lot of deep research but I feel the priorities should be to fix the pass coverage with some better safeties, better cover linebackers and a solid nickelback. Obviously, they need to re-sign DRC but if Chris Harris isn't ready by the beginning of next season, they made need to find a good CB since Champ has obviously lost a step. (Sorry Champ, you belong in the HOF but every great has to hang 'em up at some point.)

They also need a little help with the pass rush. Getting Von Miller back will help but if a good young pass rusher is available in the draft, I think the Broncos should go for it.

I think other weaknesses will be fixed with players on IR returning next season.

OFFENSE

This offense showed that while their pass-first specialty can beat most NFL teams, it can't beat all of them. Sometimes there will be teams that either scheme too well in the secondary or just have a pure talent advantage in pass rush and coverage like the Seahawks did.

I think Plan B for this offense in these circumstances is to run the football out of two tight-end looks with plenty of play-action mixed in. They lost both times, but there's no denying the Saints did better in their run-first offense than they did the first time around in their pass-first offense. Hell, they might even want to have a fullback on the roster for these situations.

It was one of the greatest offenses of all time and they can probably continue to do what they did last season, but there will come a time next season (since they're playing all the NFC West teams) when they must be much more balanced or even focus on running the ball better.

With this in mind, they might want to draft or hire some good zone blocking linebackers for the run game. Montee Ball is a solid RB, so they'll probably want to draft someone in the same mold. Who knows, maybe CJ Anderson will be ready to go next year as the power back. Or maybe interest in Knowshon Moreno won't be as high as people expect and Denver can retain him at a good price. Who knows.

Other than that, re-signing or finding a replacement for Eric Decker is obviously important... I think the market will determine whether or not that happens.

I thought we'd party like it's 1999, turns out it was 1989! When was it over?

I still think a few momentum changes early could have kept us in this game. The biggest one to me was the non call around the 15yard line on JT. We were driving, would have had a first down with a pretty much goal to go, looking to cut the lead to 15-7 likely at the half. Instead no call and I think the next play was the pick six, 22-0 at the half. Very, very different vibe at halftime it would have been. Instead they are down 22 and I guess felt like taking a risk of a short returnable, hoping to make a play, kickoff return at the second half. Harvin takes it all the way and all of a sudden its pretty much over. That non call followed by the pick 6 was the whopper to me. Stuff like that kills anyones spirit. That was the backbreaker I think. I mean, I didn't like Broadway's flub or the first play both of which gave me a bad vibe. But I thought we were hanging in there and might just hold our own until that pick six. That kind of play just made the Hawks feel invincible, where as a score by Denver would have evened the tables a bit I think.

I'm a Giants fan, too, and Denver is my #2 team, also. I agree with much of what you said. I look forward to watching the Giants and Denver remake themselves over the offseason.

OK, so it's natural to want to place blame on certain players, coaches, game conditions, etc... truth is we flat out got BEAT by the better team and staff. Period.

Instead of calling out individual players and coaches, I think we can draw on the following 'theme' from Sunday's outcome:

Denver just lacks physicality and aggression - schemes and experience can carry us, but in a game like Sunday's it's obvious that we were not able to respond to Seattle 'punching us in the mouth' in all 3 phases.

Welcome, AsianGiant. I like your name. We have things in common.

I appreciate your thoughts. It's been rough. We are a resilient fan base, though. We're tough, like our team.

Thanks for stopping by.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Thanks!!! Everyone else seems to be kicking us while we are down.

Both my son and my brother are big Giants fans and both were rooting for me and the Broncos, of course. The Giants are my "adopted" team because of my family connection

I think with the limited amount of money due to the salary cap, Decker is the most likely candidate on being let go. Caldwell has shown flashes and seems to have a little more separation speed. Kind of like a Pierre Garcon type. I think with a full off-season with Manning as the full-time #2 receiver he could put up good numbers and be productive.

In terms of the Super Bowl, the game could be said to have come down to the difference of 1 foot, the first INT by Manning, if he doesn't miss JT breaking outside or JT continues up the seam and makes the catch, that is a first down, and only down 8-0, and the receivers now have the confidence to get open between 10-15 yards, then the whole complexion of the ball game changes.

Quote Originally Posted by SinePari View Post
    However, there are plenty of offenses that can execute even when things are down. Denver is not one of those teams.

The Broncos rely too much on timing and pick plays to execute their offense. Once you take those away - quite easily might I add - it's game over. Denver has no ability to "make something out of nothing" or to adapt its game plan once its "Plan A" has been blown up. Part of that is just the way Denver's players are (e.g., Manning is a finesse player) and part of that is the inexperience of Adam Gase.
    Agreed, for the most part. I might disagree slightly with your exact choice of words, but, basically, yes, Denver did not seem to have that ability to go out there and make something happen. You can have all the technique, talent and knowledge in the world, and it might not be enough. That's when you open yourself up, get creative, get pumped,...whatever works for you...and make things happen.

Yes, thank you for your thoughts. Feel free to stick around.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*