Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Playoff Blowouts - Team History, why does it keep happening?

So below is our complete playoff history which we have played 38 games & have a record of 20-18 which is better than alot of other teams but what i don't understand is when we do lose, it's usually really bad & as you can see it's not just in the super bowl.

As you can see by what i highlighted 13 of the 18 losses have been by 17 points or worse & 8 of those have been by 23 points or more. In 9 of those 13 blowouts we scored 10 points or fewer & on defense 11 of 13 times allowed 31 points or more & 7 times they allowed over 40 So it's not just one side of the ball.

I know this all seems pointless which it probably is but i just can't help think what the heck is going on with this team when they are in the playoffs & so many blowouts? I didn't look at any other teams but if i had to guess, i would say no other team gets blown out of games in the playoffs like we do & it's really frustrating.

Broncos playoff history
    Date Game Result
    Feb. 2, 2014 Super Bowl XLVIII Seattle 43, Denver 8
    Jan. 19, 2014 AFC Championship Denver 26, New England 16
    Jan. 12, 2014 AFC Divisional Denver 24, San Diego 17
    Jan. 12, 2013 AFC Divisional Baltimore 38, Denver 35 (2 OT)
    Jan. 14, 2012 AFC Divisional New England 45, Denver 10
    Jan. 8, 2012 AFC Wild Card Denver 29, Pittsburgh 23 (OT)
    Jan. 22, 2006 AFC Championship Pittsburgh 34, Denver 17
    Jan. 14, 2006 AFC Divisional Denver 27, New England 13
    Jan. 9, 2005 AFC Wild Card Indianapolis 49, Denver 24
    Jan. 4, 2004 AFC Wild Card Indianapolis 41, Denver 10
    Dec. 31, 2000 AFC Wild Card Baltimore 21, Denver 3
    Jan. 31, 1999 Super Bowl XXXIII Denver 34, Atlanta 19
    Jan. 17, 1999 AFC Championship Denver 23, New York 10
    Jan. 9, 1999 AFC Divisional Denver 38, Miami 3
    Jan. 25, 1998 Super Bowl XXXII Denver 31, Green Bay 24
    Jan. 11, 1998 AFC Championship Denver 24, Pittsburgh 21
    Jan. 4, 1998 AFC Divisional Denver 14, Kansas City 10
    Dec. 27, 1997 AFC Wild Card Denver 42, Jacksonville 17
    Jan. 4, 1997 AFC Divisional Jacksonville 30, Denver 27
    Jan. 9, 1994 AFC Wild Card L.A. Raiders 42, Denver 24
    Jan. 12, 1992 AFC Championship Buffalo 10, Denver 7
    Jan. 4, 1992 AFC Divisional Denver 26, Houston 24
    Jan. 28, 1990 Super Bowl XXIV San Francisco 55, Denver 10
    Jan. 14, 1990 AFC Championship Denver 37, Cleveland 21
    Jan. 7, 1990 AFC Divisional Denver 24, Pittsburgh 23
    Jan. 31, 1988 Super Bowl XXII Washington 42, Denver 10
    Jan. 17, 1988 AFC Championship Denver 38, Cleveland 33
    Jan. 10, 1988 AFC Divisional Denver 34, Houston 10
    Jan. 25, 1987 Super Bowl XXI N.Y. Giants 39, Denver 20
    Jan. 11, 1987 AFC Championship Denver 23, Cleveland 20 (OT)
    Jan. 4, 1987 AFC Divisional Denver 22, New England 17
    Dec. 30, 1984 AFC Divisional Pittsburgh 24, Denver 17
    Dec. 24, 1983 AFC Wild Card Seattle 31, Denver 7
    Dec. 23, 1979 AFC Wild Card Houston 13, Denver 7
    Dec. 30, 1978 AFC Divisional Pittsburgh 33, Denver 10
    Jan. 15, 1978 Super Bowl XXII Dallas 27, Denver 10
    Jan. 1, 1978 AFC Championship Denver 20, Oakland 17
    Dec. 24, 1977 AFC Divisional Denver 34, Pittsburgh 21

Hey if u gonna lose, make it epic. This way it saves a cardiac episode for a close game that we win. Like that 2012 wild card OT win, "THE DRIVE", or the GB SB victory. Those games were worth the chest pains.

Gotta have some humor with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    Hey if u gonna lose, make it epic. This way it saves a cardiac episode for a close game that we win. Like that 2012 wild card OT win, "THE DRIVE", or the GB SB victory. Those games were worth the chest pains.

Gotta have some humor with it!!!
    Yeah by now we are experts at being epic when we lose.

My buddy calls it the LAW's (Legendary A Whupin's). I had to laugh, because he was right. And he's a life long Giants fan, so I let him slide with that. I have a rule about the amount of ribbing I will take. If a team hasn't been to at least 3 SB's their fans don't get to talk. And if a fan hasn't seen their team play in a SB, u can't even get in the conversation, lol!!! So u know that pretty much excludes any Jets fans in my age bracket.

Because Someone Up Above hates the Broncos?

I wouldn't read into that list too much, lots of totally different teams over a long period. Playoff histories for most other clubs look just as bad if not worse.

The only thing that matters are corrections and redemption for the current outfit.

It would take a lot of time to compare other team's records, but an easy measuring stick is to see how many times we've blown out the other team (17+ points). And I count.... 3 . 1999 Miami, 1997 Jacksonville and 1988 Houston. Which makes us... the Washington Redskins of blowouts. Great.
    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Quote Originally Posted by broncos1997 View Post
    It would take a lot of time to compare other team's records, but an easy measuring stick is to see how many times we've blown out the other team (17+ points). And I count.... 3 . 1999 Miami, 1997 Jacksonville and 1988 Houston. Which makes us... the Washington Redskins of blowouts. Great.
    While that is mostly true, i would say we blew the falcons out in the super bowl but they got a garbage time td in the final minute to make the score appear closer than it was & that's the other thing with this team & how they close games out.

Playoffs or regular season, we always seem to have huge leads only to get soft & allow teams to creep back closer instead of slamming the door on them. I think that is all on the head coach.

We seem to always have a skill based team with players who have great abilities. We are capable of scoring big if you let us play our game and blow you out.

However when we meet up with a hard nosed physically aggressive team they can knock us off our game and then take advantage and run up a big score.
    This has been the book on Peyton Manning teams and why come playoff time the stronger aggressive teams can muscle his teams out of the game.

The two Super Bowl winning teams could run the ball effectively and and had a hard hitting defense. We need to get back to that. We had 27 yards rushing in 13 carries from the running backs. That is pathetic.

Perhaps we need a change of culture, to play the type of football that win championships, rather than the type that can just get us there. Typically a flashy offense and a defense that can do just enough.
    Perhaps we should have a top notch defence and an offense that can do enough.
    Think Pittsburgh Steelers teams 2006 & 2009. A monster defense and an efficient run first offense with passing weapons when needed.
    Perhaps John Elway should give Bill Cowher a call.
    formerly "thehighlander"

When we win the turnover battle, we win in the post season.

When we lose the turnover battle, we seem to get blown away.

WE HAVE TO start spending one day a week, on turn over drills. Seattle does this, it benefits both the offense and defense. It is the reason they are celebrating and we are grieving.
    All of this off season, us fans need to remind our coaches of this...

Quote Originally Posted by gorky View Post
    When we win the turnover battle, we win in the post season.

When we lose the turnover battle, we seem to get blown away.

WE HAVE TO start spending one day a week, on turn over drills. Seattle does this, it benefits both the offense and defense. It is the reason they are celebrating and we are grieving.
    All of this off season, us fans need to remind our coaches of this...
    I totally agree and love this idea, but how are fans going to persuade coaches to do anything?

I think we just have to hope that Elway or some of the coaches have been shocked into doing something about this after last night's debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    I totally agree and love this idea, but how are fans going to persuade coaches to do anything?

I think we just have to hope that Elway or some of the coaches have been shocked into doing something about this after last night's debacle.
    I think if we keep posting this kind of info, someone is bound to see it.
    Our team has been sloppy for a long time now. That needs to end.

When's the last time you were excited to watch the defense, because you anticipated a turnover? It's been a long time... we are just happy to get the other team to punt these days. Bend then break is our motto.

Of all teams why us? So humiliating and embarrassing smh.

I've NEVER been embarrassed to be a Bronco fan, until this loss. I wasn't old enough to understand the previous SB blowouts, but I have felt many of the other blowouts.

I've put a ton of myself into being a Bronco fan, I've made it through the rough years just fine. But after last night I've decided no more.

I'm a different kind of fan now. This franchise with its 2-5 SB record, and embarrassing performances doesn't deserve my blood, sweat, and tears. I'll be watching and rooting for them, but for now on ill refuse to let a game I'm not playing beat me down. And what takes the cake is acts like Von Miller trying to get into a club with Seahawks and other players already putting it behind them on twitter (Duke for instance)

No longer will I be miserable bc of this team. This PATHETIC performance from top to bottom is an absolute slap in the face to the fans who put so much of themselves in this team.
    Last edited by WildcatsBroncos; 02-04-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatsBroncos View Post
    I've NEVER been embarrassed to be a Bronco fan, until this loss. I wasn't old enough to understand the previous SB blowouts, but I have felt many of the other blowouts.

I've put a ton of myself into being a Bronco fan, I've made it through the rough years just fine. But after last night I've decided no more.

I'm a different kind of fan now. This franchise with its 2-5 SB record, and embarrassing performances doesn't deserve my blood, sweat, and tears. I'll be watching and rooting for them, but for now on ill refuse to let a game I'm not playing beat me down. And what takes the cake is acts like Von Miller trying to get into a club with Seahawks and other players already putting it behind them on twitter (Duke for instance)

No longer will I be miserable bc of this team. This PATHETIC performance from top to bottom is an absolute slap in the face to the fans who put so much of themselves in this team.
    Welcome to the Thick Skin Club which losses like this develop. They were 0-4 in SBs with nothing but blowouts to show for it once upon a time-- that was worse! So some of us learned to keep one foot out, and maintain perspective that this is just a game and not an integral part of life. It's also helpful to remember there's always next year and another chance. It's liberating, because you can still cheer hard for our team without investing and risking your emotional well-being.

Well said, one foot out for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    Welcome to the Thick Skin Club which losses like this develop. They were 0-4 in SBs with nothing but blowouts to show for it once upon a time-- that was worse! So some of us learned to keep one foot out, and maintain perspective that this is just a game and not an integral part of life. It's also helpful to remember there's always next year and another chance. It's liberating, because you can still cheer hard for our team without investing and risking your emotional well-being.