Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Manning - going forward, life after etc.

Defenses are finally evolving to match the league's prolific offenses. To combat the passing-favored rules, defenders are fast, they're big, and they're physical. Seattle is the epitome of this. They are designed to neutralize finesse, high-powered offenses.

The Saints have fallen.
    Now the Broncos have fallen.

Manning's mind is his greatest asset. However, his ability is confined to the pocket and the play design.

If the defense wins the play, Manning is unsuccessful. This is a limitation we must acknowledge.

The new breed of quarterback (Wilson, Kaep, Luck, etc.) is unique because it is free of this limitation. If the opposing defense wins the play, it's not necessarily over. Their mobility can create an entirely new play. It can mend a broken play. It can extend a play until the offense wins.

Against an elite defense, is the pocket passer no longer viable?

Food for thought.
    Last edited by Brohemoth; 02-02-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Lol Russell Wilson was mediocre to terrible for 5-6 weeks in a row until this game..

Cam Newton played average or worse in most of his team's games this season, tbh..

Elite defenses win in today's game..if Seattle had any other QB in the NFL, they still win the Super Bowl..

The problem isn't pocket passers, the problem is overpaying your QB, which leads to the inability of creating a stacked defense..

The biggest strength of Wilson, Newton, etc is their current friendly contracts, not their actual performance..once they get huge extensions, their defense will suffer since their team won't be able to afford the defensive players that carry their respective teams..

Justblaze2729 said:
    Today 09:36 PM
    I think the immobile pocket QB era is over. Time to draft someone athletic that can hurt a team with his arm and legs.
    Yup, said it in the game day thread. Manning is an immobile target and when the line isn't giving time and the receivers aren't getting open quick it spells disaster! Need some mobility at the position.

I saw someone make a thread saying that no QB would of made a difference tonight and I highly disagree. A QB that isn't a statue would of made a big difference.

The mobile quarterback also has an ACL that is prone to going down. Keep an eye on the shelf life of these mobile quarterbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by HarlemHeat View Post
    Lol Russell Wilson was mediocre to terrible for 5-6 weeks in a row until this game..

Cam Newton played average or worse in most of his team's games this season, tbh..

Elite defenses win in today's game..if Seattle had any other QB in the NFL, they still win the Super Bowl..

The problem isn't pocket passers, the problem is overpaying your QB, which leads to the inability of creating a stacked defense..

The biggest strength of Wilson, Newton, etc is their current friendly contracts, not their actual performance..once they get huge extensions, their defense will suffer since their team won't be able to afford the defensive players that carry their respective teams..
    And Manning was on fire until this game. Seahawks still found a way to win when Wilson struggled. Denver....Manning struggles and we're done.

Giving QBs 100-million$ contracts kills teams, regardless of their style of play, tbh..

Pocket passers are not over. In fact, I would use Cam Newton as an example of a read-option QB turned pocket passer this season. Cam benefited by a coach working with him and teaching him how to be a better passer and it shows. RG3 on the other hand is what you get when the read-option QB is not taught to be a pocket passer.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

Quote Originally Posted by LSIGRAD09 View Post
    And Manning was on fire until this game. Seahawks still found a way to win when Wilson struggled. Denver....Manning struggles and we're done.
    That's exactly my point..

Seattle has a stacked defense, one of the best in history, partly because Wilson is on a friendly contract that allows them the cap space to acquire great defensive talent..

The Broncos are paying their QB tons of money, which hurts their ability to acquire defensive players..

Building a team around an elite defense + a game-managing QB = Seattle, San Fran, Carolina, Kansas City, Arizona..

Giving QBs 100-million$ contracts kills teams, regardless of their style of play, tbh..
    Winner!!!! Said the exact same thing in preseason.

Well it doesn't help that 5 defensive starters are out injured. Can't blame that one PM's contract.

Football is a physical game and tonight the Broncos OL got punched in the mouth. The more physical you are the greater your chance of winning regardless of the type of system the QB runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    Pocket passers are not over. In fact, I would use Cam Newton as an example of a read-option QB turned pocket passer this season. Cam benefited by a coach working with him and teaching him how to be a better passer and it shows. RG3 on the other hand is what you get when the read-option QB is not taught to be a pocket passer.
    I think you may have misinterpreted, or I missed an important word.

Is the era of exclusive pocket passers over? One-dimensional threats.

That's exactly my point..

Seattle has a stacked defense, one of the best in history, partly because Wilson is on a friendly contract that allows them the cap space to acquire great defensive talent..

The Broncos are paying their QB tons of money, which hurts their ability to acquire defensive players..

Building a team around an elite defense + a game-managing QB = Seattle, San Fran, Carolina, Kansas City, Arizona..
    Well, I agree 1000%.

A pocket passer can be successful if they have a feared runner by their side. That was the difference at the end of Elways career. Play action plays were the only thing that worked. A dominant left tackle would have helped.
    Waiting to hear from adoption agency

So youre saying we scrap Manning's deal and go all-in for Manziel until his contract becomes a high-dollar issue because I'm all for it!

Recently heard Bill Polian make that point. Once you pay your franchise QB you are down to the draft and bargain free agents. Bottom line, don't expect the team to get a lot better.