Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    Congratulations on feeling better, but nothing will cure me
    That's tough. Your presence here is valued and I am grateful for your response.
    I only have the teeniest glimpse of suffering to be honest.
    I've spent half my life with a chronic disabling condition (since age 23), but prior to that I was lucky enough to experience the usual milestones that people pack into their lives such as getting an education, job, car, house and most important of all my Son.

Quote Originally Posted by SLeeLeeS View Post
    I'm sorry to hear this happened to you, but I'm happy you are doing better now.
    Thank you
    I've become much more open since and far more wiling to reach out and receive help and hopefully give something back too.
    I've always had a sunny disposition and fought through everything, so in a way this came as a shock. But that's the whole point really isn't it, stuff like this can hit anyone and we should not judge.
    And of course, if you've always been a strong person then it can be SO much more difficult to share that you are struggling as you want to spare others feelings and want to be strong for them.
    But people can surprise you and just a little word or empathetic gesture can make a difference, and what a relief it is not to continually bottle things up!

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

Thanks also for the encouraging CP comments.

2016 although young is shaping up good, not because of a change in physical circumstances, but a changed inner outlook.

I continue to suffer near permanent headaches, pain so severe in my arms I can barely type.
    Breath so short I can't use speaking software for more than a few minutes.
    When I'm hugged can't even lift up my arms to return the hug and at best I have nearly as much energy and strength as my 75 year old disabled Mum (x3 cancer survivor), at worst more like my 95 year old Gran post-stroke.

But I've decided to accept things as they are finally. It only took 22 years!
    And that, instead of striving for what is out of reach, pining for what was, is giving me peace.
    My primary condition remains the same, but secondary suffering is melting away.

And who knows, with a greater sense of peace it might kick boost this ailing immune system.
    #keepbelieving

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Thanks also for the encouraging CP comments.

2016 although young is shaping up good, not because of a change in physical circumstances, but a changed inner outlook.

I continue to suffer near permanent headaches, pain so severe in my arms I can barely type.
    Breath so short I can't use speaking software for more than a few minutes.
    When I'm hugged can't even lift up my arms to return the hug and at best I have nearly as much energy and strength as my 75 year old disabled Mum (x3 cancer survivor), at worst more like my 95 year old Gran post-stroke.

But I've decided to accept things as they are finally. It only took 22 years!
    And that, instead of striving for what is out of reach, pining for what was, is giving me peace.
    My primary condition remains the same, but secondary suffering is melting away.

And who knows, with a greater sense of peace it might kick boost this ailing immune system.
    #keepbelieving
    Way to hang in their Jawsie! I appreciate your effort to live on your own terms as hard as that must be. You won't be able to keep your chin up each and every day but choosing to try must count for the better.

Inspiring.

Hi all, just stumbled on this thread...unfortunately, I know a thing or two about depression. Was diagnosed with major depressive disorder in the late 80's after a 2 week stay in the local hospital psych ward (in other words, I didn't actually try suicide, but wanted to so badly I agreed to be hospitalized). Not comfortable going into more detail on an open forum but if anyone would like to talk or wants some perspective from someone with 55 yrs depression experience, I'm just a private message away

I will say from my life experience, that the most insidious thing about suffering from depression is that your mind doesn't know this isn't normal and hates to admit there's something wrong...
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!

Thank you to all those that have shared their experiences. I posted mine on the first page.

Please remember:

You all are special;

You all are important;

You matter;

From my sig. To learn more, search for "semicolon tattoos".

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life;"
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

To everyone in this thread, I am rooting for you. My inbox is always open.

I have had a bout or two with depression. Also suffered from panic and anxiety disorder. No fun.

Just keep swimming.

Adopted Posters - Broncoholic MS, thatkidhunt, Al Wilson 4 Mayor, Thors Hammer, McSmashie, CanDB, Peanut, BroncoManiac_69, MightyHorse, CHARGER$, Chillez, EddieMac
    Married Megan Joy on August 18th, 2013
    Proud Daddy of Jeremiah James born February 24, 2011

Adopt-A-Bronco 2013 - Champ Bailey
    Yankees, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, CU Buffs
    I still miss you Jake Plummer!

To keep swimming is pretty good advice - especially for a fish

Today, with a lot of help from "around and above", a big bogeyman in my closet has been sent packing, simply by finding the courage to open up.

A tear or two were shed between us, but those tears were healing.
    Had I realised twenty years earlier how liberating it is to find the courage to be vulnerable I might have saved myself some grief. But it's never too late for me or anyone else.
    Just don't suffer alone.
    Share.

I'm more depressed now than I have ever been in my life. I wish that I was the Tin Man or the Grinch, because my heart keeps breaking more and more everyday
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

I suffered from pretty severe depression in the past myself. I got to the point where I was taking prescription meds, was so overwhelmed with life and grief that I told my doctor I couldn't sleep. He prescribed sleeping pills, which I abused badly. I'd go on binges where I wouldn't leave my room and would sleep for a week straight, not eating. Began hallucinating, having terrible nightmares. Suicidal thoughts. Hoping that I'd just not wake up. Ugh, just remembering it... so horrible. That is when I knew I had to stop taking medication. I'm not sure if this is the right solution for everyone, but it was for me. Depression medication only seemed to exacerbate the issue for me. It came to a peak in 2010. Fortunately, the worst year of my life (mentally) coincided with when I decided to turn my life, and my view of it, totally around.

There are a couple things I did to change my life. Even after these changes, I still have relapses, but they've become fewer and fewer. I haven't had an episode in almost a year. Which is the longest streak I've had since I was probably 18 years old (I'm now 31).

1) Got off prescription medication (I won't take meds at all anymore)
    2) Significantly limited my drinking/drug intake. When I drink for even 2 days in a row, I start to feel the depression creep up in me.
    3) Started eating only healthy, natural foods and a balanced diet (thanks to my wife, who is a hardcore natural foody)
    4) Take vitamins, specifically B12, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D (Honestly, I think vitamin D changed my life. I'd read a lot on "Natural Remedies" for depression. This is the one that seems to work for me). I take 2000IU tabs once a day. If I feel an episode coming on, I'll crush 2-3 of them.
    5) Exercise religiously. If I take even a week off from the gym and lifting weights, I start feeling the depression creeping in. Exercise releases massive amounts of endorphins which can help combat the imbalances those of us with depression have
    6) Started taking up active hobbies and won't go a week without indulging. (I ski during the winter and mountain bike during the fall, spring, and summer)

7) This is probably one of the more important ones, once you get the previous 6 going in life. Understanding that negativity and negative thoughts are totally and utterly cyclical. Meaning that they compound and build on themselves. If you let negative thoughts creep in, you have to crush them immediately. Go hit the gym, go mountain biking, do something active. Something that doesn't involve drinking or drug use. If you dwell on negativity, let the anxiety rule your life, it just builds on itself. It becomes almost uncontrollable, then you become lost.

You have to have a good diet, take vitamins, and STAY ACTIVE! Then, crush negative thoughts the second they come! It's a cycle and you have to stop it!

Hope it helps. Feel better & make it a great day!
    Last edited by Joshua2585; 02-06-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    I suffered from pretty severe depression in the past myself. I got to the point where I was taking prescription meds, was so overwhelmed with life and grief that I told my doctor I couldn't sleep. He prescribed sleeping pills, which I abused badly. I'd go on binges where I wouldn't leave my room and would sleep for a week straight, not eating. Began hallucinating, having terrible nightmares. Suicidal thoughts. Hoping that I'd just not wake up. Ugh, just remembering it... so horrible. That is when I knew I had to stop taking medication. I'm not sure if this is the right solution for everyone, but it was for me. Depression medication only seemed to exacerbate the issue for me. It came to a peak in 2010. Fortunately, the worst year of my life (mentally) coincided with when I decided to turn my life, and my view of it, totally around.

There are a couple things I did to change my life. Even after these changes, I still have relapses, but they've become fewer and fewer. I haven't had an episode in almost a year. Which is the longest streak I've had since I was probably 18 years old (I'm now 31).

1) Got off prescription medication (I won't take meds at all anymore)
    2) Significantly limited my drinking/drug intake. When I drink for even 2 days in a row, I start to feel the depression creep up in me.
    3) Started eating only healthy, natural foods and a balanced diet (thanks to my wife, who is a hardcore natural foody)
    4) Take vitamins, specifically B12, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D (Honestly, I think vitamin D changed my life. I'd read a lot on "Natural Remedies" for depression. This is the one that seems to work for me). I take 2000IU tabs once a day. If I feel an episode coming on, I'll crush 2-3 of them.
    5) Exercise religiously. If I take even a week off from the gym and lifting weights, I start feeling the depression creeping in. Exercise releases massive amounts of endorphins which can help combat the imbalances those of us with depression have
    6) Started taking up active hobbies and won't go a week without indulging. (I ski during the winter and mountain bike during the fall, spring, and summer)

7) This is probably one of the more important ones, once you get the previous 6 going in life. Understanding that negativity and negative thoughts are totally and utterly cyclical. Meaning that they compound and build on themselves. If you let negative thoughts creep in, you have to crush them immediately. Go hit the gym, go mountain biking, do something active. Something that doesn't involve drinking or drug use. If you dwell on negativity, let the anxiety rule your life, it just builds on itself. It becomes almost uncontrollable, then you become lost.

You have to have a good diet, take vitamins, and STAY ACTIVE! Then, crush negative thoughts the second they come! It's a cycle and you have to stop it!

Hope it helps. Feel better & make it a great day!
    I absolutely love your post, Joshua! How can someone ski and be depressed is beyond me... even if I haven't been in years. Love the advice as it is very close to how I pull myself out of depression as well when it starts to seep in.

For me, as I'm sure most, prescription drugs don't mix with alcohol. I'm good with the occasional drink, but have to watch myself that I don't make it a habit as for me it usually leads to depression. A couple of the tips you mentioned are ones I actively do myself, and it helps pull me out of it. Exercise is #1 < amazingly for me when I've fought a migraine for days a good run is what seems to bring the end once it's downgraded from migraine to headache. #2 vitamin D helps me with both depression and headaches. Active hobbies are great, but I think being active in any hobby can help. For me even if it's just writing, it takes my mind off of what's bringing me down and gets my focus elsewhere. Depression can happen to anyone, and I think knowing how to pull yourself out of it is important.... especially when you fell your lowest and you don't understand the cause.

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris

Nothing ever goes my way. Why do I bother getting up in the morning?
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!