Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Interesting note out of the U of Miami (FL)

Fromer Miami basketball player Erik Swoope went onto Greentree after practice ended (4/10/11) to hold a workout for the Denver Broncos. Swoope, who never played football at UM, caught passes from Stephen Morris and appeared to do well.

I saw this posted on one the Hurricane sites I read a lot.

I just read that we worked him out. I guess we think we can get basketball players to be rediculous TEs

Could he be a WR or is he bigger and more suited for a TE. I don't know much about him that is why I am asking.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    Could he be a WR or is he bigger and more suited for a TE. I don't know much about him that is why I am asking.
    6'5 220 hes very similar to the size and build Orange Julius was before he moved to WR in college and the TE here but he doesnt have the experience so hes a bit of a project. He averaged less than 13 min a season in the last 3 years so no shame in not knowing him

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    6 foot 5, 220 lbs. Never saw the floor much in his career as a Hurricane basketball player.

Looks like quite the athlete though... here's what I found on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFfdCTRGwdk

Link from post above.

Those vids are awesome. Dude is athletic. If he has speed, he would be a great WR (athletically).

They were talking about this on Path to the Draft the other day. Since teams have extra time before the draft now, they are going to schools looking for the next basketball player who won't make it in the NBA to try TE. I guess multiple teams are doing it.

Heres the article after the workout:

Dunking basketballs and blocking shots.

That's what UM senior Erik Swoope knows really well.

Football?

Not so much.

"I've actually never played football a day in my life," Swoope said.

Despite that the 6-foot-4, 233-pounder who worked his way into a starting role and then wowed with high-flying dunks this season wound up getting a workout on Greentree Practice Field with the Denver Broncos today. A big reason: Current NFL star tight ends Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates both transitioned to football after playing basketball in college.

Graham, of course, is a former Cane.

"I spoke with Jimmy," Swoope said. "He tried to see where my head was, gave me a lot of food for thought to see what I thought about the opportunity to play football and then just told me enjoy the moment, the opportunity."

Swoope says he first thought about a football future when hoops coach Jim Larranaga spoke to him about it a day after the team lost in the ACC Tournament.

"He said he got wind of a potential NFL tryout and would I be interested," Swoope said. "I thanked him for the information and took a week to think do I even want to give this an opportunity? I'd never even played, had only done footwork drills in high school because my brother tried to play in college."

After thinking it over Swoope decided to give football a try. He began working out with his brother and for the past week has caught passes and worked on Pro Day drills.

"I started preparing myself last Thursday," Swoope said. "I got to work out a little on the field to get used to being in cleats and catching the ball."

He threw with Ryan Williams once last week, and the plan was for Williams to throw him passes today.

But with Williams tearing his ACL it was Stephen Morris that threw to Swoope.

"I was really thankful he agreed to help me out," Swoope said. "Today was the first time I caught a pass from Stephen and I didn't drop a ball. Every passing related matter I didn't drop a single pass, which was exciting."

Swoope says the only testing result from today that he knows is his reps of 225 pounds in the bench press - the economics major with a 3.2 GPA did 14 reps.

"The Broncos, they said my numbers looked good, just the key is that I need to learn about football, the whole game of football," Swoope said.

Swoope says he'll continue honing his football skills until the NFL Draft and then see what happens. He hopes to be picked up as a free agent; being drafted with no football background is highly unlikely.

"A lot of it will come down to how much ground I gain between now and the draft," Swoope said. "I need to do my part. I have my fingers crossed and hope what I did today will keep their interest."

Swoope says he hasn't heard from any other NFL teams.

If he isn't picked up by an NFL team he has two options - he could play basketball
    overseas and says a team has already shown a lot of interest, or he could play football for the Hurricanes this coming season. He isn't ruling out the latter.

"I really have no idea," Swoope said. "I'm just trying to assess what my next step may be."

Swoope says if he does play football it would likely be at tight end "but there's a decent chance I may be a wide receiver."

just what we need another non blocking TE.

if he has enough speed to be a WR ok but unless JT is going somewhere, this kid would be a 2-3 year project.

in one spot he is listed at 6-4 and 6-3.

at 6-3 not big enough to play TE.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    just what we need another non blocking TE.

if he has enough speed to be a WR ok but unless JT is going somewhere, this kid would be a 2-3 year project.

in one spot he is listed at 6-4 and 6-3.

at 6-3 not big enough to play TE.
    Ive seen him listed at 6-6 and 6-5 as well on the basketball websites. We dont have an official measurement but I do believe the 6-5 is probably the most accurate.

Still your right hes a project which means he would be on the practice squad for 2 years. Then what? We bring him up to trade him or trade JT because your right having 2 pass catching only TE's is kind of well... dumb

Like himself admited he probably won't get drafted. If he can play one year in UM football program, he probably will get a chance next year.
    QFFL Fantasy Football Leagues

This is fine and dandy but blocking is taught and learned from pop warner football. You can't learn blocking over night. It takes years of reps, game time reps and years of mistakes.

Maybe the games evolution is beyond my grasps now but I want a te who can block first and catch second.

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    This is fine and dandy but blocking is taught and learned from pop warner football. You can't learn blocking over night. It takes years of reps, game time reps and years of mistakes.

Maybe the games evolution is beyond my grasps now but I want a te who can block first and catch second.
    If he signs as an UDFA then, no harm no foul. If he can learn the ropes, then why not give him a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
    Ive seen him listed at 6-6 and 6-5 as well on the basketball websites. We dont have an official measurement but I do believe the 6-5 is probably the most accurate.

Still your right hes a project which means he would be on the practice squad for 2 years. Then what? We bring him up to trade him or trade JT because your right having 2 pass catching only TE's is kind of well... dumb
    JTs contract is over soon IIRC this is his last year. If not it will be next year.

So times awasting to replace him, if we can not resign him.