Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Jt is only going to get better at blocking. There were quite a few things he did well in run blocking. The emphasis put on blocking by our offense is huge, and with Thomas seemingly buying in, I'm expecting to see him be a more complete player this year.

Virgil green is a terrific in line blocker as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
    Ive seen him listed at 6-6 and 6-5 as well on the basketball websites. We dont have an official measurement but I do believe the 6-5 is probably the most accurate.

Still your right hes a project which means he would be on the practice squad for 2 years. Then what? We bring him up to trade him or trade JT because your right having 2 pass catching only TE's is kind of well... dumb
    Like when the Patriots had Gronk and Hernandez?

Quote Originally Posted by Yakka27 View Post
    Link from post above.

His form makes me cringe. I'm not counting that rep

Quote Originally Posted by swbroncos View Post
    Like when the Patriots had Gronk and Hernandez?
    Mostly because they had zero WRs, Other than Welker.

They ran them as big wideouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    just what we need another non blocking TE.

if he has enough speed to be a WR ok but unless JT is going somewhere, this kid would be a 2-3 year project.

in one spot he is listed at 6-4 and 6-3.

at 6-3 not big enough to play TE.
    1. We have 3 very good blockers in Green, Tamme, and Dreessen. Tamme isn't an in-line blocker but is very good in a move and lead blocker role. Dreessen and Green do it all blocking. Julius Thomas will only get better blocking.

2. JT just might go somewhere, who knows. At the end of the day, what does an UDFA contract do to us? Julius Thomas did absolutely nothing for 2 years in the NFL and is now a top ten tight end in the NFL. Nothing is wrong with a 2-3 year project, especially if he's on the practice squad for a year or two (which would be nearly certain).

3. 6'3" is certainly not too short to be a tight end, and given he weighs 233 as a basketball player he would weight in the 245 range as a football player. Vernon Davis is 6'3" and had 850 yards. Charles Clay is 6'3" and had just 29 less yards than our very own Julius Thomas. Jordan Reed is 6'2" and had 500 yards in half a season. Delanie Walker is 6' even and under 250, yet he has been one of the best number 2 tight ends in the league for San Fran and is producing as a number one tight end in Tennessee.

4. As a number 2 tight end, he would be an ideal fit if he could learn within a few years how to just block. He is athletic enough and more than likely has the natural strength with his size.

5. I don't even think he's under 6'4". You can see he is a long athlete on the basketball court, yet alone a football field. He could very well be 6'5".

Yea, I don't get where you're coming from at all. If the potential is there he will be given a shot.
    Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    His form makes me cringe. I'm not counting that rep
    It seemed like he had just a tad of assistance, but that would be the only reason I wouldn't count the rep. Lifting your back end doesn't make it easier at all, just prevents back injury and is more comfortable based on the person lifting. It is seen more often in basketball players because they have such long legs and when they want stability from the ground their back end naturally rises.
    Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
    1. We have 3 very good blockers in Green, Tamme, and Dreessen. Tamme isn't an in-line blocker but is very good in a move and lead blocker role. Dreessen and Green do it all blocking. Julius Thomas will only get better blocking.

2. JT just might go somewhere, who knows. At the end of the day, what does an UDFA contract do to us? Julius Thomas did absolutely nothing for 2 years in the NFL and is now a top ten tight end in the NFL. Nothing is wrong with a 2-3 year project, especially if he's on the practice squad for a year or two (which would be nearly certain).

3. 6'3" is certainly not too short to be a tight end, and given he weighs 233 as a basketball player he would weight in the 245 range as a football player. Vernon Davis is 6'3" and had 850 yards. Charles Clay is 6'3" and had just 29 less yards than our very own Julius Thomas. Jordan Reed is 6'2" and had 500 yards in half a season. Delanie Walker is 6' even and under 250, yet he has been one of the best number 2 tight ends in the league for San Fran and is producing as a number one tight end in Tennessee.

4. As a number 2 tight end, he would be an ideal fit if he could learn within a few years how to just block. He is athletic enough and more than likely has the natural strength with his size.

5. I don't even think he's under 6'4". You can see he is a long athlete on the basketball court, yet alone a football field. He could very well be 6'5".

Yea, I don't get where you're coming from at all. If the potential is there he will be given a shot.
    I am a lot more aligned with this line of thinking. I am also inclined to say pick him up NOW as an UDFA or VERY last round pick if needed. If he works out great...if not....we didn't waist a huge risk/reward pick on him.

I think personally with the league practice squad going from 8 to 10 players your able to keep a player than normally you would cut, but now your able to put him on the practice squad and develop him. I don't see anyone willing to sign him to a 53 man active roster with no football experience. I have no problem developing a guy that in 2 or 3 years might be a surprise. If we did pick him up, having Thomas here that understand the boat that he is in, I think would take him under his wing and really help him develop.

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    This is fine and dandy but blocking is taught and learned from pop warner football. You can't learn blocking over night. It takes years of reps, game time reps and years of mistakes.

Maybe the games evolution is beyond my grasps now but I want a te who can block first and catch second.
    Amen to that, brother!

I wonder what would happen if we moved a 7'2 270 LB's Ian Chiles to TE lol heck 6'9 De'Mon Brooks would be awesome too but we dont need a developmental TE

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post

odds are that tamme and dressen (fr sure) will be cut for cap space saves us 5.5 mil.

I have now seen heights ranging from 6-3 to 6-6 so who the hell knows.

I might go after this kid in the 6th or later but would rather see him as an UDFA .

As for JT we have some 40 mil in cap space next year so I'm guessing that several priorities such as JT and DT will be signed.

odds are that tamme and dressen (fr sure) will be cut for cap space saves us 5.5 mil.

I have now seen heights ranging from 6-3 to 6-6 so who the hell knows.

I might go after this kid in the 6th or later but would rather see him as an UDFA .

As for JT we have some 40 mil in cap space next year so I'm guessing that several priorities such as JT and DT will be signed.
    Ild honestly rather target Jordan Najvar in FA hes at least more proven especially as a blocker. Even Marcel Jensen in the 7th seems more intriguing to me

Ild honestly rather target Jordan Najvar in FA hes at least more proven especially as a blocker. Even Marcel Jensen in the 7th seems more intriguing to me
    do not know either of them.

I just would not waste a pick on a TE early.

the only spots on the team I see a rookie starting would be OG, maybe ORT, CB, or MLB.

any other rookies will be for the future and or depth.

do not know either of them.

I just would not waste a pick on a TE early.

the only spots on the team I see a rookie starting would be OG, maybe ORT, CB, or MLB.

any other rookies will be for the future and or depth.
    If Ramirez stays in the starting lineup we could shift him or Montgomery to weak G and Vasquez to strong G. We keep Franklin in at RT and Clady at LT. Clark may even be useful at RT too. We arent as hopeless at O-line now as we were a few weeks ago. Though some competing depth wouldnt be bad

Bitonio would be good to move inside but he would need to have a 2nd round draft pick used on him. After that im not to impressed, we could get Groy in the 6th. The O-line in this draft arent that great a major reason why I think we signed Montgomery (which was a steal)
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 04-11-2014 at 03:57 PM.

If Ramirez stays in the starting lineup we could shift him or Montgomery to weak G and Vasquez to strong G. We keep Franklin in at RT and Clady at LT. Clark may even be useful at RT too. We arent as hopeless at O-line now as we were a few weeks ago. Though some competing depth wouldnt be bad

Bitonio would be good to move inside but he would need to have a 2nd round draft pick used on him. After that im not to impressed, we could get Groy in the 6th. The O-line in this draft arent that great a major reason why I think we signed Montgomery (which was a steal)
    Montgomery is TC fodder at worst and maybe a backup @OC.

Moving players around destroys any continuity and trust they have built up over the years or in our case games.
    This is not madden were players Are changed weekly.

OL is one of those places where trust is built up each game, between players left and right of them.