Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel vs DC

Marvel vs DC

Ah, the age old debate. Reading the last movie you saw thread inspired this thread. Imo there's no way DC can hold a candle to Marvel. Don't get me wrong I like DC, however they're not up to par with Marvel. Here I'll make one point, Marvel has ripped DC off on occasions hence forth Deathstroke = Deadpool, but who's the better more interesting character??? It's clearly Deadpool...
    Last edited by ELWAY421; 04-14-2014 at 04:32 AM.

Don't flame me too bad, I just thought it would be a good debate while we all wait for football.......
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

Popularity Worldwide is Marvel yes. IMO in character quality Marvel doesn't have anyone that can touch Batman/Superman and Arrow in interest.

I'm a fan of both. They both have characters I like (Deadpool, Batman), and both have characters I don't like. They both have tried to copy the other for similar characters that do well. And even trying to choose is hard enough because there are so many ways I could go. Favorite character would probably be Deadpool, but favorite series goes to Batman, mainly because I can't think of a better villian than the Joker. Favorite movies would probably be the Dark Knight Trilogy. Favorite TV series would go to Arrow.

But I usually prefer the more beatable believeable characters which is probably why I enjoy the Batman movies and the Arrow because they are more believeable. And no overpowered characters that the only true villian they seem to have is themselves (Superman, Hulk).

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

I think Marvel is overall better. IMO Marvel has more depth with more characters, while DC has depth with few characters. No Marvel character is as big as Batman or Superman, but after those 2, no DC character is bigger than Spider-Man and now Iron Man(before it was be just Spider-Man but since the success of Iron Man, Stark has gained that spot).

But even with Batman and Superman being the biggest names in comics, I think both are bland characters. Superman is really boring and created to be over powered, even when a weakness is formed, a new comic comes out with a way around that weakness. Nobody likes OP heroes. One of the many reasons why Batman has been such a success is because he has been shown as beatable, as weak, as not so super. Sure by the end of the movie he wins, but it draws people in when Joker is winning, when Bane is beating up the Batman, when Scarecrow was getting the upper hand.

People wanna see heroes suffer then rise back up. Spider-Man 2 did this, Parker was getting manhandled and on the brink of no longer wanting to be Spiderman.

It's important both do well, competition keeps you on your game and pushes you to do better.

But either way I'm not a fan of DC, I only like 3-4 characters.

Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

I will add that I feel DC does a better job at having sidekicks and growth of those characters. Honestly I can't really think of any sidekick's in the Marvel universe that stand out like they do in DC. The closes I can think of is War Machine but he is more a hero than a side kick.

But DC you have the many Robin's, one of which grows into Nightwing. Kid Flash/Impulse who take over the mantle. Speedy growing into the Red Arrow. So I will say DC while not a huge cast of memoriable characters they do well at growing those characters and their sidekicks. And I'm sure there are others like Aqualad, but I'm not a huge fan of Aquaman. Or you have Wondergirl and Super boy, but those seem more to try to follow suit with the the other side kicks.

*EDIT* forgot about Supergirl.

But I will agree with Insane that overpowered characters aren't fun to read or when fan favorites do crazy things. Like when Wolverine regenerated from a drop of blood... Really??? But usually I prefer the characters that seem to be on par with their villians which is why Batman is usually a good one.
    Last edited by #87Birdman; 04-14-2014 at 08:19 AM.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    I think Marvel is overall better. IMO Marvel has more depth with more characters, while DC has depth with few characters. No Marvel character is as big as Batman or Superman, but after those 2, no DC character is bigger than Spider-Man and now Iron Man(before it was be just Spider-Man but since the success of Iron Man, Stark has gained that spot).

But even with Batman and Superman being the biggest names in comics, I think both are bland characters. Superman is really boring and created to be over powered, even when a weakness is formed, a new comic comes out with a way around that weakness. Nobody likes OP heroes. One of the many reasons why Batman has been such a success is because he has been shown as beatable, as weak, as not so super. Sure by the end of the movie he wins, but it draws people in when Joker is winning, when Bane is beating up the Batman, when Scarecrow was getting the upper hand.

People wanna see heroes suffer then rise back up. Spider-Man 2 did this, Parker was getting manhandled and on the brink of no longer wanting to be Spiderman.

It's important both do well, competition keeps you on your game and pushes you to do better.

But either way I'm not a fan of DC, I only like 3-4 characters.
    You pretty much nailed it in terms of how I feel everyone is complaining about how the other avengers dont just show up in each others movies but if you use your brain you can connect those dots
    As for a JL movie how will they explain this problem? Supes can just fly from spot of the world to another in seconds So I think a JL movie will leave even more questions

Quote Originally Posted by captainbronco View Post
    You pretty much nailed it in terms of how I feel everyone is complaining about how the other avengers dont just show up in each others movies but if you use your brain you can connect those dots
    As for a JL movie how will they explain this problem? Supes can just fly from spot of the world to another in seconds So I think a JL movie will leave even more questions
    I've never questioned why they wouldn't show up in other movies. But I just run with the assumptiont that they are fighting crime in their own city lol.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    I've never questioned why they wouldn't show up in other movies. But I just run with the assumptiont that they are fighting crime in their own city lol.
    You're in a small percentage haha I always assumed the same too but a case can be made for every hero

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    I will add that I feel DC does a better job at having sidekicks and growth of those characters. Honestly I can't really think of any sidekick's in the Marvel universe that stand out like they do in DC. The closes I can think of is War Machine but he is more a hero than a side kick.
    That's the difference, Marvel doesn't have any side kicks, and side kicks aren't their focus. Look at the comics and cartoons, instead of having actual sidekicks, they do cross overs. You'd have Blade in a Spiderman comic or cartoon episode. Or Hulk in a Iron Man comic/cartoon.

DC is more traditional than Marvel. Heroes wear their underwear on the outside, they have sidekicks, their name is more in tuned with the heroes abilities. Example Arrow and Hawkeye, both are primarily archers, but only one has a name that hints at archery being a skill.

Now Marvel does have characters who name match, but not as many as DC and not as obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by captainbronco View Post
    Other Avengers appearing in movies would pretty much change the movie. You can't have Iron Man in Captain America films. It becomes an Iron Man film since he's the bigger star. Crossovers in movies only make sense with Marvel if a small name character appears, say Luke Cage appears in a Captain America or Iron Man film. Or Iron Fist appears. But Avengers showing up in each others films kinda kill have a Avengers film, and takes away from stand alone films, I mean they are called stand alone films.

Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    That's the difference, Marvel doesn't have any side kicks, and side kicks aren't their focus. Look at the comics and cartoons, instead of having actual sidekicks, they do cross overs. You'd have Blade in a Spiderman comic or cartoon episode. Or Hulk in a Iron Man comic/cartoon.

DC is more traditional than Marvel. Heroes wear their underwear on the outside, they have sidekicks, their name is more in tuned with the heroes abilities. Example Arrow and Hawkeye, both are primarily archers, but only one has a name that hints at archery being a skill.

Now Marvel does have characters who name match, but not as many as DC and not as obvious.

Other Avengers appearing in movies would pretty much change the movie. You can't have Iron Man in Captain America films. It becomes an Iron Man film since he's the bigger star. Crossovers in movies only make sense with Marvel if a small name character appears, say Luke Cage appears in a Captain America or Iron Man film. Or Iron Fist appears. But Avengers showing up in each others films kinda kill have a Avengers film, and takes away from stand alone films, I mean they are called stand alone films.
    i agree save the appearance of the big name avengers for the actual movie although i would love to see a luke cage or iron fist in the movies someday

DC by a landslide

Batman
    Superman
    The Watchmen

Batman and Watchmen were my two favorites growing up followed by The Punisher. Punisher is the only Marvel comic I particularly liked growing up.

However his success doesn't hold a candle to Superman or Batman. Batman was the greatest superhero of them all, IMHO. Watchmen I loved all the characters especially the paranoid Rorschach.

I remember the day I bought Batman: Year One when it came out. I still have it too. That was one of my favorite individual comics I had as a kid and still cherish.
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 04-14-2014 at 09:26 AM.

I'm more of a Marvel fan, but I did read several DC titles when I was a kid. The only DC titles I ever really got into were Batman and Green Arrow, and even then I preferred the limited series stories of Batman to the main story line.

I used to read a ton of Marvel titles back in the day: X-Men, Wolverine, Daredevil, Punisher, and 3 different Spider-Man titles. (No wonder I was broke as a kid ). I think Marvel just had a better dynamic when it came to putting its characters into bigger groups. They were also better at major crossover conflicts that took place across several different titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    DC by a landslide

Batman
    Superman
    The Watchmen

Batman and Watchmen were my two favorites growing up followed by The Punisher. Punisher is the only Marvel comic I particularly liked growing up.

However his success doesn't hold a candle to Superman or Batman. Batman was the greatest superhero of them all, IMHO. Watchmen I loved all the characters especially the paranoid Rorschach.

I remember the day I bought Batman: Year One when it came out. I still have it too. That was one of my favorite individual comics I had as a kid and still cherish.
    Batman: Year One, The Killing Joke, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: The Cult, The Long Halloween were all great Batman stories.

Also want to say that I was a reader of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles back when it was just an independent black and white comic before it became absolutely huge.