Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2014 NBA Draft

2014 NBA Draft

Well the draft is a week away, so I figured I'd start a thread to get us going. Denver finds itself in a very interesting position, after suffering through a Coach change, scheme change, and a boat load of injuries. Denver winds up with the 11th pick in the draft. IMO, when healthy the nuggets are easily a playoff team. So finding a player at 11 to have an immediate impact isn't likely. As our GM puts it

"I think we're honest with ourselves, the 11th pick on a team that should be in the playoffs generally doesn't have a huge impact from Day 1," he said. "Very few rookies had any impact this year on playoff teams. As our roster is presently constituted, who knows how we're going to look after the draft. I think it's unfair to put too much emphasis on the 11th pick."

Also rumors have been floating around that Denver is interested in moving up with 11 or trading the pick for a talented vet, which is important to note that Den has a 9.8m trade exception

"Trading the selection for a veteran and moving up in the draft are the two areas of most interest to the Nuggets.A number of teams have multiple picks or are overstocked with young players or disappointed with their draft position (even if it is higher than the Nuggets') and would be willing to deal."per the DP

There is also a recent rumor of Denver attempting to package a deal for Kevin Love(which doesn't include the 11th pick) I started a thread, but I'll save you the time

3-team deal
    DEN- Love
    MIN- Faried, Chandler, Afflalo
    ORL- ?

Like I said, Denver is in a very interesting position. So as for my thoughts in the draft, Denver needs to get more athletic and better at defending. Personally, I'm a fan of Aaron Gordon. Highly athletic, and arguably the top defender in the class. Denver has 3 picks in the draft:

So feel free to post your ideas, and info you come across.
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

As a Jazz fan I hope teams are looking for our #5 pick. Denver being one of them....

The Jazz are right in a bad spot IMO...they will miss on the "top" guys and either snag a guy with potential (that log jams a position) or else move back with the team thats coveting Vonleh, Exum, Smart or Randle.

I really like Stauskas from Michigan and I think he will end up being one of the better picks. I have seen him mocked anywhere from 8-15.

I like how this guys quick release and shooting ability transition to the NBA. If Denver stays put I see them targeting him, but I would love to see him in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    As a Jazz fan I hope teams are looking for our #5 pick. Denver being one of them....

The Jazz are right in a bad spot IMO...they will miss on the "top" guys and either snag a guy with potential (that log jams a position) or else move back with the team thats coveting Vonleh, Exum, Smart or Randle.

I really like Stauskas from Michigan and I think he will end up being one of the better picks. I have seen him mocked anywhere from 8-15.

I like how this guys quick release and shooting ability transition to the NBA. If Denver stays put I see them targeting him, but I would love to see him in Utah.
    Well with recent news of Embiid's foot injury, there's a growing chance he could fall.

In no way would I want to give up Faried to add Love. Him and Lawson are the only two I wouldn't trade but it would most likely take at least one of them to get him. If we could somehow trade McGee and our 11th to move up to get Embiid or a top 6 pick I would love that.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Well with recent news of Embiid's foot injury, there's a growing chance he could fall.
    That could get really interesting.....
    Vonleh and Exum are gaining some steam, Utah might be in a pretty good spot if Embiid slides a bit and shakes things up.

Personally I think the Nuggets are hoping Stauskas is there, but I think some team is going to go after him and not wait to see if he falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    In no way would I want to give up Faried to add Love. Him and Lawson are the only two I wouldn't trade but it would most likely take at least one of them to get him. If we could somehow trade McGee and our 11th to move up to get Embiid or a top 6 pick I would love that.
    If Love agrees to an extension, I'd do it. Love does everything better than Faried. That said I think it's a moot point, ever since the recent reports of our offer surfaces Golden State finally added in Klay Thompson into the deal which they were balking about doing previously. Which infuriates me, because I cant stand GS, and hate their guts.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    That could get really interesting.....
    Vonleh and Exum are gaining some steam, Utah might be in a pretty good spot if Embiid slides a bit and shakes things up.

Personally I think the Nuggets are hoping Stauskas is there, but I think some team is going to go after him and not wait to see if he falls.
    Stauskas would be interesting, one thing Denver has lacked is reliable 3-point shooting. Not saying that's all he is, but his greatest asset is his shooting. Recently heard the 76ers were interested in either Exum at 3 or Smart at 10, if Embiid does indeed slide, I'd imagine Exum is the pick.

If Love agrees to an extension, I'd do it. Love does everything better than Faried. That said I think it's a moot point, ever since the recent reports of our offer surfaces Golden State finally added in Klay Thompson into the deal which they were balking about doing previously. Which infuriates me, because I cant stand GS, and hate their guts.
    If he did a sign and trade type deal I would be ok with it. But I wouldn't want to give away a breakout PF in Faried to a division rival for the long-term to rent Love for one season.
    And yes, Golden State sucks. That trade would be the worst possible scenario imo. Send a turd in Klay Thompson to a division rival while making GS a lot better.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    If he did a sign and trade type deal I would be ok with it. But I wouldn't want to give away a breakout PF in Faried to a division rival for the long-term to rent Love for one season.
    And yes, Golden State sucks. That trade would be the worst possible scenario imo. Send a turd in Klay Thompson to a division rival while making GS a lot better.
    I absolutely cant stand golden state, let's hope they give up the farm for love and he leaves

Reasons Kenneth Faried is on the trade block? He wants a max contract, he is not a max contract player.

Giving up 11 Faried and Chandler for Love? I'd do that in a second. GSW package is the same as ours but with better players so I don't see it happening.

"ESPN reports that the_Chicago Bulls_are looking to trade their 16th and 19th picks together to the_Denver Nuggets_to move up to No. 11 and grab a shooter in this month's draft._The Bulls have been trying to move up in the draft to get an elite shooter. Their target has been Denver with an offer of the 16th and 19th pick for 11. If they get there, Gary Harris or Nik Stauskas will be the guy with them, likely leaning toward Stauskas."

I wouldn't get the move considering a 2 guard is a relative need here as well.

With Embiid potentially slipping, and Denver weighing moving up could there be a fit?

1. Connelly has already stated it is highly unlikely that a guy at 11 would contribute immediately, so even if Embiid misses the season it wont be catastrophic.

2. Shaw is highly regarded as a player developer. He is thought to be a key developer of Paul George and Hibbert(once Shaw left Hibbert played like poo poo). So he could develop Embiid over time.

3. Denver is in that position where it doesn't have a star player, it is also just good enough so it cant draft one, but not good enough to make a run at the title. Embiid has superstar potential, sometimes a franchise needs to make a big move or forever be doomed to mediocrity. As a fan I see it as, if it works we get a star, if it doesn't then hey at least we're bad enough to get a legit chance at a star in the draft.

I don't think it's likely Denver takes him, but sometimes you have to take a shot.

"ESPN reports that the_Chicago Bulls_are looking to trade their 16th and 19th picks together to the_Denver Nuggets_to move up to No. 11 and grab a shooter in this month's draft._The Bulls have been trying to move up in the draft to get an elite shooter. Their target has been Denver with an offer of the 16th and 19th pick for 11. If they get there, Gary Harris or Nik Stauskas will be the guy with them, likely leaning toward Stauskas."

I wouldn't get the move considering a 2 guard is a relative need here as well.
    I think Stauskas is a perfect fit in Denver.....but I cant see Den trading back unless they feel Harris or Hairston would certainly be there at 16. I think this Bulls "plan" is actually what Den will do. Stauskas 1a or Harris 1b at pick 11.

I love Stauskas and I want him badly in Utah...... But I think he will be a player that a team targets to move for. I thought he might make it to Den at 11, but I know Phi (10) is high on him as well. I am starting to think if a team wants him they will have to jump to 9 at least.

In theory Utah could be picking with Embiid, Smart, Randle, and Gordon still on the Board. I am starting to feel like Utah is in the prime trading slot this year.....I would love to Net a future 1st as well as move back to get Stauskas.

If Utah stays put I want Randle.

"@WojYahooNBA: Tremendous traffic for Denver's pick at No. 11. Rivals executives believe GM Tim Connelly in a deal-making mode on it."

"@RicBucher: Sources: KLove deal to Warriors is dead. Love "unlikely" now to be dealt before draft."

Darn would have been nice for the nuggets to snag him during the draft Apparently they are waiting until after Melo signs to try and deal with the loser(thought to be CHI or HOU) Still Denver would have the better package IMO. In my dream world Denver acquires love, and then kicks the 11th pick for Derozan