ProFootballFocus 2014 Depth Chart: Denver Broncos

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...enver-broncos/

Notes

ē Thereís no question this is a quality team. While the Super Bowl wasnít pretty, itís not easy to compete with a team as good as Seattle with three of your top players injured; all of Von Miller, Ryan Clady and Chris Harris Jr. would have contributed to making the game a much closer affair. Whatís impressive is since then theyíve only got better. Even if you only call Aqib Talib for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie a wash thereís no way you can view the pick-ups of Demarcus Ware and T.J. Ward as other than significant upgrades. Once again they will be the team to beat in the AFC.

ē Derek Wolfe is the only player we have in the starting line-up marked as less than average (unless you think Bradley Roby wonít make an immediate impact) and Iím constantly reminded by fans we shouldnít be as harsh on him because his key role isnít to get pressure on the quarterback. I do understand that, but if thatís so (and I do believe it is) then he has to be a very good run defender and even that slipped this year (-2.4 grade). What made it worse was when Malik Jackson was asked to take up the slack after Wolfeís Week 12 injury he showed the art of the possible, grading well against the run and, although his pass rush productivity dropped, still doing reasonably well as a rusher.

ē Iím maybe being a little generous seeing Nate Irving as an ďaverageĒ starting middle linebacker. He only played there a few snaps in his rookie year so the grade above is for how he played in relief of Von Miller on the strong-side last year and that doesnít always translate. Itís not even as if the Broncos are happy with the situation trying and failing in free agency to replace him and then also coming up short in an attempt to get C.J. Mosley. I still canít help but remember, though, when he was asked to take more snaps, he actually played better Ė and thatís why the grade is maybe higher than it should be.

Roster Battles

The mark of a good group is often the lack of obvious position battles and thatís definitely the case here. In the areas where there could be some competition itís likely both of the key competitors will get snaps and the tag starter becomes a little irrelevant. In this category I mentioned Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson earlier and could also add Virgil Green and Joel Dreessen in the role of blocking tight end. Which simply leaves:

1. Right Cornerback in Nickel

Last year Denver drafted Kayvon Webster in the third round and for a while all looked great. Up until Week 12 he played 373 snaps and was actually grading out overall with a small positive (+3.6). However, the next three weeks, he fell to pieces logging a combined -7.5 and only seeing 12 more snaps during the run in to the Super Bowl.

Now while Chris Harris Jr. (when healthy) and Aqib Talib will play in base, when Harris moves to the slot in nickel who will play outside? Given Tony Carterís awful season (and Super Bowl) it looks likely they may need first-rounder Bradley Roby to step straight in. Carter played well in 2012, so I think itís too early to write him off completely, but trust will be in short supply.
    Do not like Wolfe's rating but considering his injury I understand why it was applied.
    A good plan put into motion today is better than the ideal plan that is always coming sometime in the future.

Agreed, I don't like Wolfe's rating. He is a quality starter and imo, will turn a lot of heads this season as long as he avoids the injury bug.

Pretty spot on. I would probably switch colors on Irving and Wolfe but otherwise I agree.
    http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/8982/sig.jpg

What's it going to take for Clady to be considered elite by these guys?

Does anyone else feel Emanuel Sanders is being underrated? I feel he is going to really flourish with Manning at the helm. personally I see him as a good starter

OMAR BOLDEN
    Makes the team?

Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Quote Originally Posted by one_bad_55 View Post
    OMAR BOLDEN
    Makes the team?
    dle

I know right? Hopefully he will be cut soon or I will cut my own wrists. I don't think I can handle another season with him with his horrendous play and his inevitable illegal blocks in the backs to call a kick or punt return for a TD back.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    I know right? Hopefully he will be cut soon or I will cut my own wrists. I don't think I can handle another season with him with his horrendous play and his inevitable illegal blocks in the backs to call a kick or punt return for a TD back.
    Please don't! We like you here!

Why is he categorized as "not enough info"? Let's help them: "POOR STARTER" !

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    What's it going to take for Clady to be considered elite by these guys?
    Complete a season....the last two seasons he hasn't been able to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    Please don't! We like you here!

Why is he categorized as "not enough info"? Let's help them: "POOR STARTER" !
    Thanks for telling me to put the razor down LynchMobster. And I was thinking the same thing....Not enough info? If there was an even lower category than POOR STARTER, such as HORRENDOUS, SUCKY STARTER, we could put him there.

Thx Hadez......this is an interesting assessment! Based on it, almost 2/3s of our roster is rated as "good starter" or better. And when you add in "average starters" we have a lineup that is almost 90% "average" or better. Not too shabby!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Complete a season....the last two seasons he hasn't been able to finish.
    Oh yeah.

So I compared our chart to the other teams they have finished and we look incredibly strong in contrast to theirs! There is no doubt that this is a Superbowl caliber team!
    [
    Last edited by L.M.; 06-02-2014 at 04:36 PM.