Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Last Comic Standing

I don't know if anyone else on the board follows this show. I didn't know they still had the series going until a few weeks ago. I'm a big fan of Rocky Laporte, but as I've started following I've found I like 3 others almost as much.

Joe Machi
    Rod Man
    Monroe Martin

Nikki Carr really surprised me during their sketches, because I thought she was the best of all of them.

Usually the threads I post here don't get much of a response, so my taste may be pretty different than other folks. Just curious, who are your favorite(s), if you're watching the show?

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris

I watched the first couple of seasons (and if you're in New York or already have been, the comedy club scene is pretty cool), I really like the presentation of the show. I got bummed when the comedians would rotate the same three bits though. Do they still do that?

I wish I could respond to the newer stuff. Maybe I'll DVR it...
    Last edited by Freestyle; 06-30-2014 at 01:52 PM.
    You've got to know when to sack em...

I haven't seen them rotating the same bits within the show yet. However, I know if you checkout some of Rocky Laporte's older stand up there's a lot of what he's already used for the show. I imagine it would be hard to constantly come up with new stuff. I figure they repeat for the new crowds, but when you see them in a series like last comic standing you expect new material for each show.

I don't think I've seen the show since about the 3rd season, I had no idea it was still on. Guess that's what happens when you work second shift though.

I bet the comedy scene is fantastic in NY, since so many seem to make a name for themselves there. Can't say I've ever been though...

Last edited by Sophia23; 06-30-2014 at 08:01 PM.

That was funny, I am going to check it out.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

I had no idea it was still on either to be honest, the last one I watched I believe Josh Blue was on .... it's been a while!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    That was funny, I am going to check it out.
    It's on NBC on thursday nights… I always record it so not sure what time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermz79 View Post
    I had no idea it was still on either to be honest, the last one I watched I believe Josh Blue was on .... it's been a while!!
    I remember the season with Josh Blue. He was my favorite that season. I guess they must of just taken a break from it, the last season I remember Iliza Shlesinger won it. So I guess I have seen it since the third season…. it just seems longer.

They've changed it up a bit… they don't let the audience decide the winners anymore, but the judges.

Am I the only one that though "these guys they are picking just aren't funny at all" and then watched the standing room special and realized that they were actually funny the editors just edited the funny bits out.

Seriously, until now I kept watching Rod Man and just shaking my head the whole time. Some of his stuff they showed on the special Sunday was hilarious... I didn't find him funny at all prior to watching that special.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Am I the only one that though "these guys they are picking just aren't funny at all" and then watched the standing room special and realized that they were actually funny the editors just edited the funny bits out.

Seriously, until now I kept watching Rod Man and just shaking my head the whole time. Some of his stuff they showed on the special Sunday was hilarious... I didn't find him funny at all prior to watching that special.
    That's kinda funny the difference in our opinions, because I think they've done a great job with the selection. When I've watched in the past, I usually only like one or two… I like them all this time, but have 4 favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia23 View Post
    That's kinda funny the difference in our opinions, because I think they've done a great job with the selection. When I've watched in the past, I usually only like one or two… I like them all this time, but have 4 favorites.
    I dunno, my wife and I during the invitation rounds would just look at each other like "how did they make it through, they weren't even funny". The main ones we really didn't find funny were D.C. Benny, Rod Man, Anna Rodriguez and Jimmy Shubert.

Rod man I'm warming up to (and it's obvious that unlike Joe Machi, Rod Man's stage persona is entirely an act. Listening to him having conversations with the other contestants and the interviews it's obvious he's not like his character on stage)

I think my favorites are Rocky, Monroe, Nikki and Joe.

Rocky cracks me up. He looks like Jim Belushi and Rob Schneider had a weird baby together.

+

=
    Last edited by Freyaka; 07-02-2014 at 03:13 PM.

I dunno, my wife and I during the invitation rounds would just look at each other like "how did they make it through, they weren't even funny". The main ones we really didn't find funny were D.C. Benny, Rod Man, Anna Rodriguez and Jimmy Shubert.

Rod man I'm warming up to (and it's obvious that unlike Joe Machi, Rod Man's stage persona is entirely an act. Listening to him having conversations with the other contestants and the interviews it's obvious he's not like his character on stage)

I think my favorites are Rocky, Monroe, Nikki and Joe.

Rocky cracks me up. He looks like Jim Belushi and Rob Schneider had a weird baby together.

+

=
    We're on the same page with who we find funny…. I think you have to have a certain taste for D.C. Benny, and he's just not for me he's made me smile a couple times…. while Joe Machi has had me in tears -- I'm thinking he'll be the one to beat.

I love Rocky's humor … yep, I can see the resemblance…

LOL Rod Man was HILARIOUS on Ellen! Looked like Joe Machi was standing next to the host at the head to head video for next week. I really hope he doesn't end up going home.

LOL Rod Man was HILARIOUS on Ellen! Looked like Joe Machi was standing next to the host at the head to head video for next week. I really hope he doesn't end up going home.
    Oh no… I must've missed that about Joe Machi - that guy is so dry he kills me….

Rodman was Awesome! I like him more and more with each show!

The head to heads sort of surprised me… I thought it was the best set I'd seen thus far from DC Benny, Same with Patterson … his best set I've seen yet. Those one's who I don't think are that funny sometimes surprise when I see them have a great set.

I wasn't very impressed with Patterson in the beginning, but he was by far the best in improvisation. Been loving his humor for the last 2 shows, he's starting to stand out.

One thing I admire about the comics this season is that they pick the toughest one to go up against. Seems like they are really challenging themselves...

Still loving Machi, hated to see Monroe go. I'm sure he'll be the one brought back for the finals.
    Last edited by Sophia23; 07-18-2014 at 11:16 AM.

I don't watch this show but I know of Joe Machi elsewhere.

If it's anything like this, it's probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I don't watch this show but I know of Joe Machi elsewhere.

If it's anything like this, it's probably good.

That guy from fox is so phony he's annoying, but I love Machi's side of it. I would never buy that book used… a reader would be the safest way to go…