Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Be Realistic 80 yards with 1 minute left in Seattle is a miracle. Our Passing game produced 3 points until then when they tried to open it up.

The first TD was a 5 play 19 yard drive. Drive included 3 passes, 1 run, and a shovel pass.

Our best drive the whole game was our 2nd possession. 9 Passes 6 runs. 15 plays 75 yards just didn't convert the TD.

I'm not trying to knock PM or say we suck but how many passes does Manning need to throw? 70 a game?

I hope John Elway and Adam Gase can change this running game back to zone blocking scheme maybe next season. I don't know if that's completely incompatible with Manning's strengths or whatnot - but it's the exact running game Elway comes from and it's so effective.

Maybe you need a more mobile QB for that I dunno. I sure miss our old running game scheme though. Zone Blocking man. Wasn't it fun to see our RBs one cut and glide downhill for 8 yards a pop
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Yep, I was saying the game came down to the oline before the game, and in particular run blocking. It's abundantly clear at this point that we don't match up physically. W/o a legit running threat, the passing game can't thrive either. That doesn't mean we can't occasionally rip off a nice drive passing, but you can't do it consistently over a full game without a running threat. We basically have the same problem we had in the SB with poor run blocking leading to long down and distance and lineman free to rush at will.

On the other side, D played well considering lack of offense, but also lacks the ability to force incompletions when they really need it. Again, losing the physical battle at the LOS. We're still good enough to beat most teams and maybe reachtheSB in the AFC! But I'm afraid we do not have the horses up front to get it done against strong lines.

Quote Originally Posted by vanpelt4prez View Post
    I'm not trying to knock PM or say we suck but how many passes does Manning need to throw? 70 a game?
    His arm strength looked at its weakest as a Bronco thus far. Some of the passes he threw seemed to be in the air forever, which isn't really helping the predictable screens.

As for the offensive line, the run blocking his been poor this season up to this point. They're getting no push, and opposing defensive units appear to be penetrating into the backfield with ease.

Very concerned. How are any of our backs supposed to run behind that crap. It's ridiculous.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosDivision View Post
    Very concerned. How are any of our backs supposed to run behind that crap. It's ridiculous.
    Hard to say. Nobody has been given a chance except Ball. Anderson 11 carries (productive until yesterday), Hillman first 2 carries all year. Juwan Thompson hasn't sniffed the field other than special teams. How uncreative can we be? Why not give guys some chances. Not a big Hillman fan but he supposedly had a great camp and pre season and we're 3 games into the year and he has 3 touches. Wth?

Quote Originally Posted by vanpelt4prez View Post
    Hard to say. Nobody has been given a chance except Ball. Anderson 11 carries (productive until yesterday), Hillman first 2 carries all year. Juwan Thompson hasn't sniffed the field other than special teams. How uncreative can we be? Why not give guys some chances. Not a big Hillman fan but he supposedly had a great camp and pre season and we're 3 games into the year and he has 3 touches. Wth?
    You can put Terrell Davis in there and he wouldn't be getting jack. Watch the gamefilm in slow, they are getting bullrushed. Manning barely has time to handle the ball over.

Not a fan of Hillman either but this is not on him or any of our backs, guaranteed. It's the o-line.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

What exactly happened again with the OL guru coach we brought in last year - who ran his mouth and we let go after the SuperBowl

Alex Gibbs was his name......... Anyone recall the details?
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

I don't disagree but wouldn't mind seeing chances for the other guys to try and find holes. Instincts, Vision, little cuts a RBs make can be a big difference. While yes TD wouldn't be putting up huge numbers, he'd still fair better IMO because of those attributes. We don't need a great running game. The O-line and RB play need to improve.

It's just disappointing to me other guys don't get chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo the Razor View Post
    Just be clear -- are you saying no rushing attempts at all or just fewer?

Fewer rushing attempts, and less predictable ones.

If we wanted to play smashmouth football and run the rock, we shouldn't have brought in PFM with his salary. We should have just kept Tebow, and mortgaged the future for Oline and RB's.

You can't build a team to play 1 style, and then force them to play another style.

we really haven't good running game in quite a while so yes im concerned it almost cost us in 1st 2 games at the end we cant run it when need to burn clock...

it has to improve b/c nothing is more demoralizing to a defense is running it effectively when they & everybody else knows its coming & they cant stop it...

Quote Originally Posted by FooserX View Post
    Fewer rushing attempts, and less predictable ones.

If we wanted to play smashmouth football and run the rock, we shouldn't have brought in PFM with his salary. We should have just kept Tebow, and mortgaged the future for Oline and RB's.

You can't build a team to play 1 style, and then force them to play another style.
    I think they're playing exactly the kind of style they were built for. Right now, the Broncos are ranked 25th in the NFL for rushing attempts and are running the ball 39% of the time overall. The NFL average is about 50%.

No Peyton Manning team has ever given up on running the football. In fact, one of Manning's old RBs, Edgerrin James, has just been nominated for the Hall of Fame and is the Colts' all-time leading rusher.

The thing is, running the football with a high passing offense should be easier than with a lower passing offense -- defenses tend to put less linebackers on the field and more guys in pass coverage.

The Broncos shouldn't give up on running the football, they need to figure out why they can't run it and do what it takes to fix it.

Dude, that was the best defense in football we played yesterday. That front four matches up with any team in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo the Razor View Post
    I think they're playing exactly the kind of style they were built for. Right now, the Broncos are ranked 25th in the NFL for rushing attempts and are running the ball 39% of the time overall. The NFL average is about 50%.

The Broncos shouldn't give up on running the football, they need to figure out why they can't run it and do what it takes to fix it.
    Those stats lie.

Is there a way to know the running/passing %'s for the first half? That's when we lost the game, and I'm pretty sure they ran it more...and always on 1st down. It was painful to watch play calling handcuff this team.

When you're that predictable, and that conservative...the defense can squash the run. Even mediocre D's squash it just like KC and Indy did in the second halves of those games.

X

Quote Originally Posted by FooserX View Post
    Those stats lie.

Is there a way to know the running/passing %'s for the first half? That's when we lost the game, and I'm pretty sure they ran it more...and always on 1st down. It was painful to watch play calling handcuff this team.

When you're that predictable, and that conservative...the defense can squash the run. Even mediocre D's squash it just like KC and Indy did in the second halves of those games.
    So, when stats don't match what you think you're seeing, the stats are lying? Could it be that the stats are right and you are wrong?

It is possible to look up playing-calling by drive.