Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    while we are at it...can someone explain how Curtis Martin is in the HoF and TD isn't?
    Longevity .

Quote Originally Posted by ruksak View Post
    Longevity and production.

Martin has twice the career yards, 4 more years of service, 30 more rushing TD's, more than twice the receiving yards, and twice the receiving TD's. I doubt TD ever makes it. He was very good, but HoF? Not sold on that.
    Longevity is the only reason.

You say 4 more years, but dont forget he played less than half a season his last 3 years, plagued by that knee injury.

The ONLY knock on Davis is that his great career was shortened by that injury too.

Pre-injury, Davis was THE most dominant back in the entire NFL for 2-3 seasons. This during the same time as Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders were playing.

TD set the record for most yards during the post season in 97. Broke his own record in 98. Records that still stand today, like the truly great ones like Walter Payton, Jim Brown, and Earl Campbell, he was at his very best when it mattered the most.

A capable receiver, he was not used as that overly much, because he was a truly devestating blocker. He was an every down back. You want a guy that hit the home run on 1st and 10? TD's the guy. You want a guy that could move the pile on 3rd and 2? Td's the man. You want a guy that could lay out any blitzer on 3rd and long? Yep, you guessed it, TD. You want a back that can pick you up that 1st on 3rd and 8? You know it, TD did that too.

You want a guy, that on 3rd and goal from the 3, when every single person in the stadium, including every member of both teams, KNEW he was going to get the ball...and still got touchdown? Yep, thats TD for ya. The man could find holes that didnt exist, and make it through them.

The ONLY attribute Martin had over TD, was longevity. But he never blew his knee out making a tackle chasing down a defender who had intercepted a pass. Martin never had production equal to TD's best years, not once. TD was offensive player of the year, NFL MVP, and Super Bowl MVP. In 3 years.

If there ever was a player that deserved the so-called "Gayle Sayers Argument", it is Terrel Davis.

I am not saying Martin wasn't a great back, he surely was.

But TD was greater, if only for a shorter time.

Quote Originally Posted by champ&dreallday View Post
    Exactly. Rod was good and should be in, but no way Rod is greater than Sharpe. A TE's stats should never best a WR's. Sharpe was close to unstoppable, can't quite say that with Rod.
    The one thing that stands out about Rod, above all others, something that is often overlooked.

He was underafted.

An undrafted free agent in 1994, he signed with the patriots, who released him. The Broncos signed him for canp fodder off the waiver wire. He managed to stick as the #5 WR, because he could fill in as a punt returner, although he wasnt hat great at it, he had good hands.

His first regular season catch, was a 43 yard TD with the game tied and less than minute left on the clock. I remember that game, I was there. Just about everyone sitting around me did the same thing I did "who's that guy?" The rest, as they say, is history.

Rod may not have top ten all time stats. But he is BY FAR the most successful UFA receiver in NFL history. Someday, he will get the nod for that reason. Sadly, not anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    If Rod is ever considered it will be because of the caveot that he was an undrafted player. That makes his career spectactular, not his play as a whole.
    This is something I don't 100% buy if I am honest. Look and Andre reed who was inducted this year and Rod Smith in terms of production. Rod was a starter 5 less years and overall played 4 less years but is only 100 receptions and ~2000 yards behind Reed. The one major thing is TD's where Rod only had 68 as opposed to Reed's 87. But reed also never had 2 season's like rod did in 2000 and 2001 where he had 100+ catches and 1300+ yards. One season being over 1600.

I never thought Rod should be first ballot but he should without a doubt be in the Hall. Most prolific undrafted receiver ever at the time of his retirement, 2 SB rings, 3 Probowls (should have been more), top 10 in receptions and receiving yards 4 of his 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MH Stampede View Post
    The one thing that stands out about Rod, above all others, something that is often overlooked.

He was underafted.

An undrafted free agent in 1994, he signed with the patriots, who released him. The Broncos signed him for canp fodder off the waiver wire. He managed to stick as the #5 WR, because he could fill in as a punt returner, although he wasnt hat great at it, he had good hands.

His first regular season catch, was a 43 yard TD with the game tied and less than minute left on the clock. I remember that game, I was there. Just about everyone sitting around me did the same thing I did "who's that guy?" The rest, as they say, is history.

Rod may not have top ten all time stats. But he is BY FAR the most successful UFA receiver in NFL history. Someday, he will get the nod for that reason. Sadly, not anytime soon.
    I hear you, but being undrafted doesn't help you get into the HOF......

I don't know. I suppose re-writing the record books and owning EVERY major record/statistic for the position at the time of retirement along with re-defining the position had a LITTLE something to do with it. Remind me what records Smith owned and how he re-defined the position.

Not sure what the debate is. Both should be in the HOF for different reasons but the Denver Broncos is the team that people love to hate for some reason.

Defense wins championships