Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    18,466

    NFLPA approves New Drug Policy

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...es-hgh-testing

    The NFL Players Association has approved the league's drug policy proposal after a vote by player reps, NFL Media's Ian Rapoport and Albert Breer reported Friday.








    The evolution of the NFL:
    Take a look at how the NFL has evolved from its humble roots, and the efforts being made to ensure it continues to grow.





    The new policy will institute human growth hormone testing for the first time and offers sweeping changes to the league's drug policy.

    The threshold for positive marijuana tests was raised and offseason amphetamine-positive tests will go from the performance enhancing drug policy to the substances of abuse policy. That means players that failed tests for amphetamines this offseason like Denver Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker will have their suspensions immediately lifted and be eligible to play this weekend, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Media's Albert Breer.
    Dallas Cowboys cornerback Orlando Scandrick, Miami Dolphins safety Reshad Jones, and Miami Dolphins defensive end Dion Jordan also will have suspensions lifted.

    Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon will have his yearlong suspension for marijuana use reduced to 10 games. No special exception has been made for Gordon. Under the new rules, 10 games is the standard ban for a fourth violation of the NFL's policy on substances of abuse.

    "This is an historic moment for our players and our league," NFLPA President Eric Winston said in a statement. "We have collectively bargained drug policies that will keep the game clean and safe, but also provide our players with an unprecedented level of fairness and transparency. Players should be proud of their union for standing up for what was best for the game."

    Some of the key elements to the new agreement, from the NFLPA:

    HGH Testing will start in the 2014 season. The collection of blood specimens is prohibited on game days.

    The new threshold for a positive test for marijuana will increase to 35 ng/ml from the previous limit of 15 ng/ml. There will be additional steps for players who test positive for the substance before suspension.

    A two-game suspension will be issued upon conviction or plea agreement for driving under the influence.

    The NFL and NFLPA will have the right to retain independent investigators to review cases where player confidentiality as related to the drug policies has been breached. Employees found to violate confidentiality agreement will face fines up to $500,000 and/or termination or other discipline.

    An independent arbitrator will hear appeals for positive test violations of both substances of abuse and performance enhancing drug policies. The NFL and NFLPA will jointly select, approve and pay for retention of three to five arbitrators.
    Last edited by EddieMac; 09-12-2014 at 05:47 PM.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,907
    Curious about the opinions of HGH testing.

    Read an article recently that cited a former player that speculated that about 10 -15 players per team were using HGH. Even if exaggerated and only 3-5 players per team failed the HGH test. What a nightmare that would be for the NFL.

    Makes me a bit skeptical about how serious the testing will be, when it will start, punishment process and which testing they will use. Some older tests are ineffective against certain masking agents. Newer cutting edge testing is very expensive.

    Food for thought. An enhanced HGH test can run upwards of $20K. If tomorrow the NFL tested every player on a 53 man roster it would cost them $18 million.

    Why am I getting a feeling this looks really good in the press but the actual implementation will have minimal impact. Goodell and Co has already shown they will stick their heads in the sand to avoid an issue.
    Last edited by FR Tim; 09-12-2014 at 06:48 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    An End Zone Near You
    Posts
    16,163
    @ESPNNFL 9m
    NFL says they haven't reached an agreement w/ NFLPA on a new drug policy. Immediate player reinstatement could be an issue (via @mortreport)

    2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, KS :(
    Posts
    3,302
    the Denver Post notes that the wideout won't be officially cleared to play until the NFL finalizes the agreement, an outcome that is expected on Saturday. Moreover, per the report, while Welker could return to the field as soon as Sunday against the Chiefs, it's still possible that the wideout could be held out of the contest, given the considerable practice time he has missed of late.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,773
    I prefer Wes sits out another week, if the suspension is reduced. We don't need to rush him into the KC game. But he would be an asset in Seattle, no matter how small he is. Another weapon, and more for Seattle to think about.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Oakland,CA
    Posts
    11,349
    I agree, I rather have Welker for Seattle. We can take the Chiefs out without Welker.
    Hopefully, they clear Welker to play in time for the Seattle game.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    3,562
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
    I agree, I rather have Welker for Seattle. We can take the Chiefs out without Welker.
    Hopefully, they clear Welker to play in time for the Seattle game.
    Yes. It's time for Welker to play. Hopefully he plays well.


    2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Adopted Bronco: Chris Harris Jr.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    13,339
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
    I agree, I rather have Welker for Seattle. We can take the Chiefs out without Welker.
    Hopefully, they clear Welker to play in time for the Seattle game.
    I don't see the Seatle game as hugely important right now and myself, I would rather Seattle not be his first game back. I would like to see him sit out till after the bye. Going to need him later for playoff run.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14,751
    Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon will have his yearlong suspension for marijuana use reduced to 10 games. No special exception has been made for Gordon. Under the new rules, 10 games is the standard ban for a fourth violation of the NFL's policy on substances of abuse.
    Naw, it's still a year-long suspension.

    Here in a few weeks the NFL will decide to punish Gordon for his DWI he had. That'll make it 16 - because Gordon is the real "bad guy" of the NFL season. He's the real villain. This drug test should have been stricken from his record as it was barely over their extremely strict policy.

    Now under this new policy? It wouldn't be a positive test. Even then, of his two test samples only one of them was barely over their limit and the other was was below it.

    Here in a few weeks, just before he is to make his "scheduled" return, the NFL will have breaking news that he is suspended indefinitely for his DWI or for a full calendar year. This so-called "positive" Marijuana test should have been stricken from his record.
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 09-14-2014 at 10:21 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Naw, it's still a year-long suspension.

    Here in a few weeks the NFL will decide to punish Gordon for his DWI he had. That'll make it 16 - because Gordon is the real "bad guy" of the NFL season. He's the real villain. This drug test should have been stricken from his record as it was barely over their extremely strict policy.

    Now under this new policy? It wouldn't be a positive test. Even then, of his two test samples only one of them was barely over their limit and the other was was below it.

    Here in a few weeks, just before he is to make his "scheduled" return, the NFL will have breaking news that he is suspended indefinitely for his DWI or for a full calendar year. This so-called "positive" Marijuana test should have been stricken from his record.
    I can understand why you are so disgruntled with losing Gordon and all the drug testing policy issues.

    But your continued comments of the failed tests that were "barely over the limit" are likely wrong. You are assuming Gordon just smoked a little or had second hand smoke contact. I am assuming it is more likely that he was just farther along in the cycle when he failed the test. (For the fourth time).

    Stop blaming the test. Blame the player that has a problem. And yes I consider it a problem if a player can not make significant changes to his life in order to preserve his multi million dollar career.

    The test measures the amount of drug "remaining " in your system. For example: his failed tests are probably more the result of testing him 20 days after he smoked instead of 10. Body breaks down the drug and metabolizes over several weeks. Timing of usage and testing is critical. Just be glad they don't test hair samples.

    Was reading about the drug policy and the raised level that is making the news. Article was based more on the IOC changes for Sochi. But relevant because it is being reported that is the standard that the NFL is adopting. Basically the new higher level just gives chronic users an extra week to pass a test.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14,751
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I can understand why you are so disgruntled with losing Gordon and all the drug testing policy issues.

    But your continued comments of the failed tests that were "barely over the limit" are likely wrong. You are assuming Gordon just smoked a little or had second hand smoke contact. I am assuming it is more likely that he was just farther along in the cycle when he failed the test. (For the fourth time).

    Stop blaming the test. Blame the player that has a problem. And yes I consider it a problem if a player can not make significant changes to his life in order to preserve his multi million dollar career.

    The test measures the amount of drug "remaining " in your system. For example: his failed tests are probably more the result of testing him 20 days after he smoked instead of 10. Body breaks down the drug and metabolizes over several weeks. Timing of usage and testing is critical. Just be glad they don't test hair samples.

    Was reading about the drug policy and the raised level that is making the news. Article was based more on the IOC changes for Sochi. But relevant because it is being reported that is the standard that the NFL is adopting. Basically the new higher level just gives chronic users an extra week to pass a test.
    It was barely over, read here: http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...smoke?v=1&vc=1

    I am on cell & can't post article due to that. He failed by 1 nannigram per milliliter. His "A" sample measured at 16 nannigrams per milliliter (positive was 15 nannigrams per milliliter) and his "B" sample was at 13.63 nannigrams per milliliter and he past 70 previous tests by the NFL.

    That is an EXTREMELY minute amount.
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 09-15-2014 at 08:41 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    It was barely over, read here: http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...smoke?v=1&vc=1

    I am on cell & can't post article due to that. He failed by 1 nannigram per milliliter. His "A" sample measured at 16 nannigrams per milliliter (positive was 15 nannigrams per milliliter) and his "B" sample was at 13.63 nannigrams per milliliter and he past 70 previous tests by the NFL.

    That is an EXTREMELY minute amount.
    No tolerance. barely over or a lot, is irrelevant.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    It was barely over, read here: http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...smoke?v=1&vc=1

    I am on cell & can't post article due to that. He failed by 1 nannigram per milliliter. His "A" sample measured at 16 nannigrams per milliliter (positive was 15 nannigrams per milliliter) and his "B" sample was at 13.63 nannigrams per milliliter and he past 70 previous tests by the NFL.

    That is an EXTREMELY minute amount.
    Again - timing is everything. If Gordon had taken the urine test a week earlier his level would have been higher. A week later and it might have been out of his system.

    If he had taken the test the day he smoked (oops, second hand inhaled) we would be discussing how extremely high the levels were.

    Bottom line. Gordon has to be smarter. He has multiple offenses. He is already in the drug program. He can be tested at any time. He just lost millions of dollars and is risking millions more because he can not live by the guidelines of his chosen profession.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14,751
    Quote Originally Posted by PFM2013 View Post
    No tolerance. barely over or a lot, is irrelevant.
    It does matter. It shows that the NFL was looking for a reason to suspend him. After 70 tests that he passed, the NFL decided to suspend him over a test that he passed. The test was divided into two samples. In one sample it was 13.63 nanograms per milliliter. This is below what the NFL considered a positive test at the time. The other sample tested at 16 nanograms per milliliter. He tested positive by 1 nanogram.

    1 nanogram is one billionth of a gram. That is how "over" the limit he was. One billionth of a gram. Under the new policy, it would not be a positive test.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    It does matter. It shows that the NFL was looking for a reason to suspend him. After 70 tests that he passed, the NFL decided to suspend him over a test that he passed. The test was divided into two samples. In one sample it was 13.63 nanograms per milliliter. This is below what the NFL considered a positive test at the time. The other sample tested at 16 nanograms per milliliter. He tested positive by 1 nanogram.

    1 nanogram is one billionth of a gram. That is how "over" the limit he was. One billionth of a gram. Under the new policy, it would not be a positive test.
    Are you f'n kidding me! You can not seriously believe the "NFL was looking to suspend him"

    The NFL gives the players every opportunity to pass drug tests. Even giving them slaps on the wrists for initial positives. Players like Gordon are just too stupid, selfish or arrogant to stay clean. Blame your player. He knew the rules, he repeatedly broke the rules.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •