Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Manning Arm Strength

Cardinals fan here,
    I've seen a few posters mention that Peyton doesn't have the same deep throws due to arm strength. Is this real or imagined, is he starting to show his age?

Quote Originally Posted by ringless View Post
    Cardinals fan here,
    I've seen a few posters mention that Peyton doesn't have the same deep throws due to arm strength. Is this real or imagined, is he starting to show his age?
    Going off the eyes test, his arm this season has looked as weak as it's ever been as a Bronco. Last season it looked stronger than it did in his first year, but so far this season it hasn't looked as strong as it did in any of the previous two.

I disagree. The ball seems to have more "zip" or "zing" -- however you want to put it -- this year than it did the previous two years.

He is tied for second in the league with passes over 40 yards. If anything I would say he is battling more of a grip issue than an arm issue because the ball seems to wobble a little more. He just threw two passes in the Hawks game one for about 35 and the other over 40.

Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

40 yards as in how though? Was it a catch and run for 40 or more yards? I don't play QB and I can throw the ball forty yards. His arm looks weak as ever, did you see those ducks he was throwing deep in the seattle game? It was embarrassing....

"There are some fans and analysts (foolishly) claiming that Manning’s arm strength is dwindling. This sentiment goes against what guys like Demaryius Thomas and Jacob Tamme have said earlier this offseason. His upper body is stronger this year, and it’s apparent when watching Manning throw downfield.

In fact, Manning has above-average air yards per passing attempt. This isn’t yards per attempt, this is the distance each pass travels in the air. The league average is 7.96 air yards traveled per passing attempt. Manning has an average of 8.06 air yards traveled per passing attempt this year, almost a full yard higher than his average last season (7.16).

In the play below, we see Manning getting ready to fire a deep pass to Sanders on the team’s final drive in the fourth quarter. As you can see, Manning’s throwing from about his own 17-yard line.

As Sanders secures a pass that traveled about 40 yards in the air, Maxwell is unable to get to the play in time.

Here’s another deep target from the team’s final drive against the Seahawks. Tamme cuts outside, selling the sideline route before turning upfield and into the end zone.

Does Manning throw the tightest spiral? No—he never has. However, there is something to be noted about his vertical throwing this year compared to last year. The Broncos have no problem taking shots deep if the time is right."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...e-back-in-2014

Weird. I was under the impression that his arm is stronger this year. I also thought almost every post I've seen regarding it shared the same opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Rebel View Post
    40 yards as in how though? Was it a catch and run for 40 or more yards? I don't play QB and I can throw the ball forty yards. His arm looks weak as ever, did you see those ducks he was throwing deep in the seattle game? It was embarrassing....
    Totally embarassing.

That was a 28 yard pass lol WOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo the Razor View Post
    Totally embarassing.

The only thing embarrassing about Mannings throws in the Seattle game were his attempted finesse throws. The attempt to Julius Thomas in the end zone, the attempt to throw to DT's back shoulder as he was running. Each of these were thrown well outside of catch-able range.

Hilarious!

Also, your math isn't so great, is it? He's throwing from the 34 yard line.

Looks more like 35 yards

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo the Razor View Post
    Hilarious!

He hit Sanders deep on the first play from scrimmage against the Colts, too.

I still stand by my statement that his arm looks as weak as it's ever done as a Bronco, though.

Ugh...Same thing after every loss. Manning doesn't have any "problems" throwing the ball. He's not going to throw 80yrd rockets ala Cutler, Stafford, etc. - he never has. 40 yards on a rope is plenty for any passing attack. If an offense requires it's QB to throw bombs on a regular basis, there is a problem with that offense. I will take my chances with Manning's aging arm, thank you.