Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Who's to blame for our defensive slack?

Personally I don't believe there are bad players in the NFL, but there are some bad coaches. I really don't agree the decision to pick up our recent defensive coordinator, especially since his NFL win-loss record is 69-73, with only 3 appearances in the playoffs.

I think we have a great defensive, but they aren't being put into positions to make plays for us. I even think we had a pretty good defense last year as well, but again poor defensive calls ruined our chances. I don't think we will ever have a good chance to win a SuperBowl until our defense is as good as our offense. Please Elway get us a good defensive coordinator. PLEASEEEEEEEEE...

Welcome to the boards
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Our defense's big playmakers are pretty much all either new to the team or coming back from major injuries. Despite that, they're currently giving up 20.5 points per game on average (five less than last year) against two playoff teams, one of which is a divisional opponent. We also know that at least one of them (Ware) is probably still struggling with acclimatizing to the thin air.

I'm not saying they're playing lights out, but what I am saying is that early in the season at a time when they're still gelling, adjusting, and acclimatizing, they're giving up less points than last year in two games against opponents who could be reasonably expected to give us trouble.

Let's give them a little more time before we start looking for places to hang blame for how "poorly" they're playing.

Quote Originally Posted by cchattmn View Post
    Personally I don't believe there are bad players in the NFL, but there are some bad coaches. I really don't agree the decision to pick up our recent defensive coordinator, especially since his NFL win-loss record is 69-73, with only 3 appearances in the playoffs.

I think we have a great defensive, but they aren't being put into positions to make plays for us. I even think we had a pretty good defense last year as well, but again poor defensive calls ruined our chances. I don't think we will ever have a good chance to win a SuperBowl until our defense is as good as our offense. Please Elway get us a good defensive coordinator. PLEASEEEEEEEEE...
    The DC had nothing to do with the stupid penalties, it doesn't matter what was called if a player jumps offside. How different does the game look if Smith doesn't jump and the pick 6 counts? How many times did Ware jump offside and extend drives? What about Jackson pushing Smith for no reason and drawing a stupid UR?

If the players eliminate those ridiculous mistakes and they still continue to give up first downs then I'll blame the DC and the scheme but right now I blame the players for being selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The DC had nothing to do with the stupid penalties, it doesn't matter what was called if a player jumps offside.
    Does Del Rio not attend training camp? Didn't know he only coached them on game days.

Quote Originally Posted by orangecrushtime View Post
    Does Del Rio not attend training camp? Didn't know he only coached them on game days.
    So what call could he have made that would made up for a defensive end jumping offside? At the earliest levels of football they teach d-linemen to watch the ball, don't listen to the QB. I'm pretty sure that the Broncos defensive line coaches probably have either a football taped to a stick or to a rope and they have the linemen line up and sit in their stance listening to all sorts of cadences but not moving until the ball moves.

So what call could he have made that would made up for a defensive end jumping offside?
    Back in Training Camp I would have called a play called "You jump offsides you run"

The DC had nothing to do with the stupid penalties, it doesn't matter what was called if a player jumps offside. How different does the game look if Smith doesn't jump and the pick 6 counts? How many times did Ware jump offside and extend drives? What about Jackson pushing Smith for no reason and drawing a stupid UR?

If the players eliminate those ridiculous mistakes and they still continue to give up first downs then I'll blame the DC and the scheme but right now I blame the players for being selfish.
    When multiple players make the same dumb penalties, it IS coaching and poor preparation! Better discipline comes from better coaching.

That's true he isn't to blame for stupid penalties, but remember 2012, in the playoffs against Baltimore, we got zero pressure on the Ravens. Joe Flaco picked us apart, and at the time we had a pretty good defense, but when you only rely on the zone coverage, that's probably going to be the result every time. If the Chiefs can drive on us even a little with their questionable offense, what do you think the Pats, Hawks, 9er's, etc. will do to us?

Quote Originally Posted by orangecrushtime View Post
    Back in Training Camp I would have called a play called "You jump offsides you run"
    Yeah, except they already do that. Mistakes happen

That's true he isn't to blame for stupid penalties, but remember 2012, in the playoffs against Baltimore, we got zero pressure on the Ravens. Joe Flaco picked us apart, and at the time we had a pretty good defense, but when you only rely on the zone coverage, that's probably going to be the result every time. If the Chiefs can drive on us even a little with their questionable offense, what do you think the Pats, Hawks, 9er's, etc. will do to us?
    Such a terrible argument. Just because team A does something one week against team B, doesn't mean a better team C will do it even better.

Two things I agree with you about, and absolutely hate about the way we play: is lack of pressure, we drop Miller into coverage way too much, (it happened today, I first noticed it against Baltimore) he's an average (at best) coverage linebacker, but he's tremendous going forward and disrupting in the backfield. And the zone coverage we played today, zone is an absolute killer if you can't get pressure because it allows players to flood zones and find the holes right between zones. (I think we played the majority of the Baltimore game in man, which was why Bailey kept getting burned so much)

I also agree with the other posters about coaching being to blame about discipline, the coaches do need to punish and even bench players for these stupid penalties. My comment about it not being on the DC were in regards to scheme and play calling, you can't blame those when it's the penalties that are costing the team.

How about the fact that the patchwork KC O-line manhandled our line again. Pot Roast was the only DT worth a damn.

*Waits for excuses why Wolfe, Sly, despite getting 1-on-1s against bad linemen were outclassed again*

Quote Originally Posted by UnitedInOrange View Post
    How about the fact that the patchwork KC O-line manhandled our line again. Pot Roast was the only DT worth a damn.

*Waits for excuses why Wolfe, Sly, despite getting 1-on-1s against bad linemen were outclassed again*
    Don't forget to add Jackson to that list, he did next to nothing today as well. I didn't notice Williams or Austin playing much, it seemed like the rotation was mostly Jackson, Knighton and Wolfe.

Two things I agree with you about, and absolutely hate about the way we play: is lack of pressure, we drop Miller into coverage way too much, (it happened today, I first noticed it against Baltimore) he's an average (at best) coverage linebacker, but he's tremendous going forward and disrupting in the backfield. And the zone coverage we played today, zone is an absolute killer if you can't get pressure because it allows players to flood zones and find the holes right between zones. (I think we played the majority of the Baltimore game in man, which was why Bailey kept getting burned so much)

I also agree with the other posters about coaching being to blame about discipline, the coaches do need to punish and even bench players for these stupid penalties. My comment about it not being on the DC were in regards to scheme and play calling, you can't blame those when it's the penalties that are costing the team.
    I generally agree with you here. Would be nice to see some LB blitz packages, maybe even the safety or corner blitz every once in awhile. Heck just to establish the identity of a tough physical d we should throw an all out blitz at least once this year. We should be able to generate pressure with our 4 but need to be less predictable and until our front 4 can play better as a unit we need to compensate.