Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Can we discuss stupid rules, cheating Seahawks, and poor referee play?

Just wasn't to bring some things up, get people's thought (yes, I know Denver should have played better, you can always blame game on 100 different things, etc.)
    1) Offensive pass interference.
    This was just cheating by Seattle, and a rule change is due. If Lockette doesn't hold Talib that is probably a pick six (even Seattle beat writes agree). Even if it isn't it's 3rd and 6. Instead he holds, they get a 10 that's penalty but also a second shot at second down. This penalty is extremely lenient for a play that cost Denver 7 points and ended up being a 14 point swing. This penalty really should include a loss of down.
    2) The offside no call
    This was probably the worst call since the fail Mary. It cost Denver a first down in very close to field goal territory and that ended up being enough to cost Denver the game.
    3) Multiple obvious defensive pass interference no calls.
    At least some of these weren't as blatant as the offside but Seattle got away with a couple PIs on third down that would have been a first downs.

And yes play calling was horrid, that time out in the fourth was stupid, offensive line was manhandled, etc. But I truly believe if both teams had the same hurdles to overcome Denver wins. Games like this are bad business for the NFL.

Well, don't forget the no call roughing the passer on Manning for that late hit.

The refs were fine. After every damn game we lose this exact thread pops up. We lost the game because the Seahwaks played better than us. Not because of the refs.

That's right. I did forget that, was really surprised that wasn't called particularly because the DT went right for his helmet upon coming down on him. He probably couldn't have avoided hitting him, but he could've avoided Manning's head.

Quote Originally Posted by housemouse View Post
    The refs were fine. After every damn game we lose this exact thread pops up. We lost the game because the Seahwaks played better than us. Not because of the refs.
    I only know of three times where the network's referee expert came on in the middle of the game and said they made a mistake. That blown offsides call was not fine. That was pathetic. If you don't want to blame the referee's for the game OK, but don't say they were fine. They weren't.

True, we did not lose due to officiating..

But that is not a reason to not point out how horrible the officiating was. Very poorly done by the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorFriend View Post
    Just wasn't to bring some things up, get people's thought (yes, I know Denver should have played better, you can always blame game on 100 different things, etc.)
    1) Offensive pass interference.
    This was just cheating by Seattle, and a rule change is due. If Lockette doesn't hold Talib that is probably a pick six (even Seattle beat writes agree). Even if it isn't it's 3rd and 6. Instead he holds, they get a 10 that's penalty but also a second shot at second down. This penalty is extremely lenient for a play that cost Denver 7 points and ended up being a 14 point swing. This penalty really should include a loss of down.

If you want to get that call then the Broncos should be called on it too. The two big plays by welker on the drive that led to Peytons pick were Offensive PI picks. No receiver besides welker was running a route, just running into their man before welker had the ball. They both should have been called Offensive PI. Sorry can't have it both ways.

2) The offside no call
    This was probably the worst call since the fail Mary. It cost Denver a first down in very close to field goal territory and that ended up being enough to cost Denver the game.

I agree it was a bad call, but game changer? Come on

3) Multiple obvious defensive pass interference no calls.
    At least some of these weren't as blatant as the offside but Seattle got away with a couple PIs on third down that would have been a first downs.

Pass interference happens on damn near every play, unfortunately they are not gonna call them all. That is football.

And yes play calling was horrid, that time out in the fourth was stupid, offensive line was manhandled, etc. But I truly believe if both teams had the same hurdles to overcome Denver wins. Games like this are bad business for the NFL.
    Thoughts in bold. Im sorry but you are reaching here.

Totally agree. There were calls, non calls on both sides. Reff'ing is never perfect, but I feel they let a lot the guys play. If we would have executed like we should have, this is a non-issue.

That missed offsides call was particularly egregious. The head linesman on the opposite side threw the flag and the line judge who had a fairly unobstructed view somehow missed it completely (and I'm sure was the voice that insisted it wasn't offsides). If he's otherwise competent and not another Tim Donaghy, he really ought to have his vision checked.

And it still baffles me that we can get called for cheap roughing the passer calls (obviously not in this game) while Manning can continue to get blasted well after throws without any calls.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorFriend View Post
    I only know of three times where the network's referee expert came on in the middle of the game and said they made a mistake. That blown offsides call was not fine. That was pathetic. If you don't want to blame the referee's for the game OK, but don't say they were fine. They weren't.
    There were calls that should have gone against Denver that went uncalled as well, it goes both ways. We're all disappointed in the loss but if Denver had played better in the 2nd and 3rd quarters then it wouldn't have mattered.

That's the golden rule: Play well enough so that the referee's calls don't matter.

It wasn't the best officiated game I have seen. And It was probably slanted a little more against the Broncos. It looked to me as though the Zebras were willing to let the both teams play.
    The offsides that wasn't was a bad call for sure and I agree that Manning took a slightly late hit that could have been called (I was surprised that it wasn't called only because it was Manning and he usually gets the benefit on those plays). But all in all, it wasn't a horribly called game either. Not like the totally blown Percy Harvin TD last week against the Bolts, where he clearly stepped out of bounds and the NFL had to issue their obligatory "we were wrong, but suck it up anyways", statement.
    Bottom line is the refs did not cause the Broncos loss.

Stop blaming everyone. No one is out to get the Broncos. The way the offense played, we didn't deserve to win. What I get out of this game is that when the defense wants to, they can play head-to-head against the best. Now it's up to the offense and the play-calling crew.

You're not gonna win championships with conservative play-calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    Thoughts in bold. Im sorry but you are reaching here.
    I don't blame the refs, but the offsides no-call was on a 3rd down, and the first drive in 4 where the Broncos were actually moving the ball. For a rhythm offense, that's huge. 1st down means they are just a few yards from FG range. In a tight clash of heavyweights, everything counts. Why do you suppose Carroll did a big "WHEW!!!" that they kept playing in slow-motion after the flag was picked up? Manning was starting to get into a rhythm, and NO opposing coach wants that.

And don't pull a Phil Simms by claiming PI happens on almost every play. Holding? Sure. But not PI. Not with how afraid of it most DB's are now. The play in question saw the WR's arms literally pinned to his ribs by the defender. When replayed in slow motion, Jim Nance even broke neutral and asked, "would you not call that pass interference?" Again, a 3rd down play.

I still don't blame the refs, because Denver had some chances anyway.
    Last edited by Doogansquest; 09-21-2014 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    I agree it was a bad call, but game changer? Come on
    But it was. The offense was gaining momentum, and and close to FG range.

That call was not the reaon we lost. But it was a truly truly horrible call that changed the flow of game when that flag was picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by FabrizioHC View Post
    Stop blaming everyone. No one is out to get the Broncos. The way the offense played, we didn't deserve to win. What I get out of this game is that when the defense wants to, they can play head-to-head against the best. Now it's up to the offense and the play-calling crew.
    So the defense "didn't want to" the first two games? Or right before half today? Or in OT when it mattered most?

Not sure that's a defense I'd want to have around then...