Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Call Me Crazy....

But as long as John Fox is the head coach of this team, we won't be winning a Super Bowl. No, this isn't the typical knee jerk reaction thread that appears after losses. This is years of frustration finally coming to a head. Carolina fans had pointed out to us after the announcement of the hiring that his conservativeness will lead to losses.

We shouldn't have lost that game yesterday. After the Herculean effort the Defense put forth, only to have Fox and Del Rio completely forget what a "Spy" or "Contain" concept were. The running back situation is piss poor, and that's one of the few gripes I have in Elway. Sure, Ball has upside. The fact that he can't secure the ball is extremely disconcerting at this point in his career.

My expectations in the run game, however are tempered in the fact that with Peyton Manning as your starting quarterback, you should expect to only practice running the ball 30% of the time at most.

Needless to say, I'm impressed with this team after yesterday. I'm just of the opinion that John Fox is a lame duck.

Many of us feel that way. If we ever did win the big game, it would be in spite of Fox... not because of him.
    Going on record saying I love our off season coaching hires.

I'd say it's 50/50. I had a bunch of guys yell at me for talking smack about Fox at the Bar yesterday. lol

You're crazy.

Anywho....Manning got his only SB win by running the ball and dominating on the ground. The final drive of the AFCCG to get us in that SB was topped off with three straight runs. There is history to consider.

I'm here to tell ya, many of those draws etc....are Manning's calls.
    Rogue Colts Fan

I definitley feel our coaching staff is average at best. Other contenders have good to great coaching.

To have PFM and the rest of this team be held back by super conservative coaching is tough. He's got one or two years left, and they just piss it away with conservative play calling when they get scared.

Quote Originally Posted by str8jacket View Post
    But as long as John Fox is the head coach of this team, we won't be winning a Super Bowl. No, this isn't the typical knee jerk reaction thread that appears after losses. This is years of frustration finally coming to a head. Carolina fans had pointed out to us after the announcement of the hiring that his conservativeness will lead to losses.

We shouldn't have lost that game yesterday. After the Herculean effort the Defense put forth, only to have Fox and Del Rio completely forget what a "Spy" or "Contain" concept were. The running back situation is piss poor, and that's one of the few gripes I have in Elway. Sure, Ball has upside. The fact that he can't secure the ball is extremely disconcerting at this point in his career.

My expectations in the run game, however are tempered in the fact that with Peyton Manning as your starting quarterback, you should expect to only practice running the ball 30% of the time at most.

Needless to say, I'm impressed with this team after yesterday. I'm just of the opinion that John Fox is a lame duck.
    I would agree in frustration after a game like yesterday, yet I still find myself on the fence. I can deal with the ultra conservative offense, sometimes. His hire was mainly to "right the ship" and bring about some stability, which it has. He is a defensive, close to the vest coach and has shown to be every bit of that. We were a shamble of this team we are before his hire. And I know the Manning only gang will place all the credit on PM, but even with "the other guy" at QB we were a better team than the previous 5 seasons. And defensively, even though we gripe and moan, we are far better than we were from 2006-2009.

But with all that good one has to ask, have we gone as far as we can with Fox? It's like Reeves tenure. He was great and should be HOF. He should get more respect around here than he does. But the similarities in their conservative approach are there. And the funniest part about that is, both were/are run, grind the clock guys. Yet in Denver both have had poor success in acquiring that monster back. Fox had them in Carolina and Reeves had one in ATL. But not here. Gonna be interesting to see how things play out the next few seasons.

I think you are crazy!

I dunno how much of a that is on the coaches, a lot seems to be on the players. I obviously don't know the play that was called, but on one of the 3rd down OT scrambles Wolfe crashed down inside instead of keeping outside containment. That allowed Wilson to get outside and outrun Irving to the 1st.

I am a bit worried about Ball having some fumbles, but during his college career he was stellar at holding on to the ball.

I completely agree with you, Fox is detrimental to this teams success. You can not always "play the averages" as he likes to say. When you play elite teams you have to take what you want, not what they're willing to give.

It doesn't make any sense to pay Peyton 20m dollars to be a game manager. Now, some of these plays maybe audibles from Peyton himself. Plays such as the draws, quick screens etc on 3rd and long. If that's the case, I understand it to an extent to not let a defense like Seattle tee off on your qb. However, not EVERY 3rd down, hit them with something they're not expecting. Maybe some PA or a fake screen. Use your star TE against a defense that has shown it has trouble with them.

We play scared, yes, scared conservative offensive football yesterday. How can you expect your players to play with confidence when you show none in them as a head coach? It doesn't sting less today for me, we should have won that game. We refused to take chances until we had to, which has shot our foot to pieces the last couple years.

Elway hasn't made that many flat out mistakes as our true leader, but keeping_Fox on board this long has been a mistake. Extending his contract after the super blowout is almost unforgivable. _

Quote Originally Posted by str8jacket View Post

No, what's really crazy is that Fox is still the coach.

I remember a radio commentator making a great point -- "Okay, you want to fire him and get rid of him, but the question is -- who's going to replace him?" I don't think Bill Belichick or Pete Carroll will be available in the off-season...

Is Fox perfect? No, but who is going to do a better job out there that the Broncos can get? And, of course, there's always the chance that the team will be worse under different management. We see that every year in football.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo the Razor View Post
    I remember a radio commentator making a great point -- "Okay, you want to fire him and get rid of him, but the question is -- who's going to replace him?" I don't think Bill Belichick or Pete Carroll will be available in the off-season...

Is Fox perfect? No, but who is going to do a better job out there that the Broncos can get? And, of course, there's always the chance that the team will be worse under different management. We see that every year in football.
    You think being the head coach of the Denver Broncos would be a difficult sale huh? I would take Jim Harbaugh or Rex Ryan over Fox in a heart beat, both will probably be available in the offseason. I do not think jdr or gase are the answer, rather, part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
    You think being the head coach of the Denver Broncos would be a difficult sale huh? I would take Jim Harbaugh or Rex Ryan over Fox in a heart beat, both will probably be available in the offseason. I do not think jdr or gase are the answer, rather, part of the problem.
    Rex Ryan? Really? I'll give you Harbaugh, but Rex Ryan? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cirehawk View Post
    Rex Ryan? Really? I'll give you Harbaugh, but Rex Ryan? No thanks.
    Rex is a very good coach, albeit a bit of a big mouth. He has very good game plans defensively, which I will admit makes him more attractive as a dc. Could you imagine him and harbaugh if the two could coexist? Harbaugh is an excellent coach and I feel we would be lucky to have him. He is equally creative offensively and defensively, although like rex he may need to tone it down a bit with his attitude. I think for both it has to do with early success going to their heads.

The Head Coach is mostly an executive. He keeps the football side of things moving efficiently, it's the coordinators that are doing the play-calling. And in Denver's case, so is Peyton. I will admit that Fox's clock management drives me crazy. So far, I think Gase, Peyton, and Del Rio have made some pretty bad play calls. But, I think it will improve as the season progresses, we're only 3 weeks into '14-'15.

I think Gase will accept an offer, this off-season. I think Denver can upgrade that spot, with a more aggressive play-caller to fit their weapons. JDR does some stuff that completely confuses me but I believe the Broncos defense will be elite by the end of the year. I think Del Rio might accept an offer, as well, this off-season. So, there is a good chance that Denver has a new OC and new DC, for 2015. Changing the head coach, too, seems a mistake to me.

I'd prefer Kubiak to the guys mentioned. Or even Chuckie, if he would stop being lazy.
    Rex Ryan is a proven bad coach. No thanks.
    Harbaugh is a good coach but a comprehensive whiner and control freak. I would simply listen to Bronco games if Harbaugh were coach, just so I wouldn't have to see his never-ending tantrums and ridiculous behavior. He has talent across every facet in SF and has yet to win a SB either. If it isn't clear, I can't stand Jim Harbaugh.
    I'm not sure who you bring in as HC that is a huge upgrade, right now. I think it would have to be a new HC, maybe Bowles from AZ, or someone like that.