Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I always liked Orton. He's not going to produce anything special for you until he gets comfortable which might take a few games. He needs to be protected but that can be said for any QB who isn't built like Big Ben.

He is your best bet for decent season. With how bad the Jets are as usual, The Pats looking like they might be lucky to hit .500 and Miami being utterly confusing (but they already dropped a game to you), Buffalo has a shot at taking the division if Orton learns the offense and makes the right calls.

I cant wait for Week 14
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche

What I remember from Orton was that he would find one receiver and tunnel in on them. He would throw it to them and only them, aside from the check downs.

I hated Kyle Orton. Watching him left me with no pride as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bills_Fan 1 View Post
    As some of you may have heard by now, the Buffalo Bills have benched EJ Manual in favor of former Broncos starter Kyle Orton. As relapsed Buffalo Bills fan (a fate far worse than alcoholism, trust me), I feel like we have been through this very same process multiple times before. Draft terrible rookie QB (Losman, Edwards, Manual), replace him with mediocre vet (Kelly Holcomb, Fitzpatrick), repeat until firmly cemented as the NFL's most mediocre to below average franchise; never good enough to make the playoffs, yet not terrible enough to draft a bonafide superstar. In our euphoric celebration over the benching of yet another terrible qb prospect, it has just dawned on me that many of us do not have the slightest clue about the qb we are replacing him with, other than the fact that he looks like a decrepit hobo and is rumored to be a big fan of Jack Daniel's.

Anyhow, my question to you Broncos fans is, what can we reasonably expect out of Kyle Orton? I believe that after watching him for 2.5- 3 years, you Broncos fans would probably have the best insight into his strengths/limitations. I mean I would ask Cowboys fans, but they seem to be a little sore over his off season contract escapades. Not only that, but I severely question many of their cerebral capacities, so deriving an answer from them would be an exercise in futility. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    What can you expect?...My sympathies...becuase he is going to leave you sitting in mediocrity. I saw an NFL headline the other day with a picture of Orton that said "Buffalo in win now mode?" and just laughed. Not with Kyle Orton you aren't.
    Last edited by Freyaka; 09-30-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Orton is a good guy, good player, decent QB. With the game on the line, he won't rise to the occasion often, but with a solid supporting cast, he can be very effective, imo. I always felt like he didn't have much heart but is a cerebral player with all the tools.

Dont expect him to lead the team, even in victory he tends to just kinda mope around on the sidelines. BUT he can throw the ball fairly accurate if he has time and isn't getting pressured.

Just think of a less athletic, weaker armed, Alex Smith. He won't win you many games by himself, but he probably won't lose you many either. Pretty good game manager, but needs WRs around him. Your RBs are pretty good, when healthy. Sammy Watkins should light it up, but not sure about your secondary WRs.

Maybe sitting Manual for a game or a few will help him, sometimes seeing things from a different perspective can help QBs ... watching another QB, a veteran play may help. Manual has much more upside than Orton, he is still young and inexperienced at the NFL level. I think it would be a mistake to give up on him now and I really doubt that they are concluding, at this point that he is not going to be successful. Orton will not win them any kind of championship, probably not even a winning season.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Maybe sitting Manual for a game or a few will help him, sometimes seeing things from a different perspective can help QBs ... watching another QB, a veteran play may help. Manual has much more upside than Orton, he is still young and inexperienced at the NFL level. I think it would be a mistake to give up on him now and I really doubt that they are concluding, at this point that he is not going to be successful. Orton will not win them any kind of championship, probably not even a winning season.
    I can tell you with absolute certainty; EJ is dunzo. Since you are presumably far too preoccupied watching a team play in games that actually matter to pay much attention to Buffalo, I will forgive you for such a heinous transgression. The best way to describe him to people who have not really paid much attention is that EJ "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane". Besides the fact that he strongly resembles a chipmunk with PTSD every time he drops back to pass, it is quite clear from the body language of his receivers that they have quit on him.

As for Orton, you guys have done a great job elucidating what I can expect from him, despite my initial question being a little too open ended. I guess what I should have asked, is Orton smart enough to give the balls to his play makers (I still stubbornly hold on to the hope that Watkins, Williams, and especially Woods can form a lethal receiving corps), or will he, like EJ be too terrified to throw anything not in the general vicinity of his second string half back? If our defense can continue to hold teams to 20 or less points, is he good enough to land us a victory, or will he, like his predecessors find new and intriguing ways to piss all over our changes?

Thanks again guys (and gals?).

Quote Originally Posted by Bills_Fan 1 View Post
    I can tell you with absolute certainty; EJ is dunzo. Since you are presumably far too preoccupied watching a team play in games that actually matter to pay much attention to Buffalo, I will forgive you for such a heinous transgression. The best way to describe him to people who have not really paid much attention is that EJ "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane". Besides the fact that he strongly resembles a chipmunk with PTSD every time he drops back to pass, it is quite clear from the body language of his receivers that they have quit on him.

As for Orton, you guys have done a great job elucidating what I can expect from him, despite my initial question being a little too open ended. I guess what I should have asked, is Orton smart enough to give the balls to his play makers (I still stubbornly hold on to the hope that Watkins, Williams, and especially Woods can form a lethal receiving corps), or will he, like EJ be too terrified to throw anything not in the general vicinity of his second string half back? If our defense can continue to hold teams to 20 or less points, is he good enough to land us a victory, or will he, like his predecessors find new and intriguing ways to piss all over our changes?

Thanks again guys (and gals?).
    He can do this quite well. Orton and Brandon Lloyd (now on the 49er's) had a pretty chemistry. Good enough to send Lloyd to the Pro Bowl. I would expect Watkins to perform well with Orton, but again, if the game is on the line, don't expect much from Orton. But, how you describe EJ, Orton should be a noticeable upgrade

Also, he was pretty good at finding Brandon Marshal when he was here too. Watkins should see plenty of balls headed his way.

Expect a lot of 4-yard passes on third and 8.

No one is saying he is the cure to all the problems ailing Buffalo right now, but in all honesty, Orton is far from the worst choice when you look at QBs starting who shouldn't be starting like Geno Smith, whoever the hell is starting for the Titans this week (Mettenberger?), Fitzy (Buffalo fans know him all too well), Cousins (sorry but Thursday night was just bad), Ponder, and Hill.

Makes Orton look pretty appealing in my opinion. Oh, and I would take Orton over Cutler any day.

But I think the Vikings, Rams, and Titans have a much more serious QB problem than the Bills do (Tampa Bay could be included in this list but I will give them a pass this week for the win they pulled out of their ass on Sunday). They might have to start making some phone calls soon, anyone think Tebow is staring at his phone just waiting for it to ring?

I say he is an upgrade over Manuel cause he can make many throws, and he doesn't make as many mistakes. But he is imo Mr. anti clutch in the forth qtr when your in it and need the drive and as has been said, give him any pressure and he folds quickly, I think he had the quickest dive to the ground as any QB in the league.
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

--J.R.R. Tolkien

I agree, I still think that with Orton, if he can mature and make good decisions, the Bills might take that division this year.

The Jets are terrible, and until Ryan realizes that Geno Smith isn't the answer, and they start Vick, who is only a short term answer, the Jets will be last as usual in this division.

The Dolphins are such an iffy team this year. I need more time to really get a grasp on what they are capable of.

The Patriots will always be competition until Brady retires, but this year will be the teams worst year since Brady was injured. He has no one to throw to, the defense is sloppy, the O-Line is beyond horrid. They could easily finish 3rd in the division if they don't step it up.

The Bills however, have (now) a semi-competent QB, a decent run Game, a defense that has shown they are capable, and offensive core that can be good when they want to be good. They will be a 1 and done team if they make the playoffs, but the point is they have a legitimate shot at the playoffs this year with Orton.

The best way to describe him to people who have not really paid much attention is that EJ "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".
    Well now you'll get to experience the "Looks like Mose Schrute, plays like Jane" era.

I think some people here are forgetting how painful it was to watch Orton. It's not just his inability to lead, or the phantom sacks. His utter mediocrity and lack of passion just siphons all of the energy out of his teammates and the fans.

It's really hard to describe, but you'll know the feeling by the end of the season. You'll look at his stats and think "hey, he's not so bad." But watching him will drain all of the joy out of watching your team. You won't even be able to enjoy your stellar defense...that's how powerful his lame-ification field is.

My advice? Stick with Manuel. Enjoy the spectacle of his complete incompetence. Make a meme of the season. You and your friends will have some fun memories. Orton's time will just be this gray and dreary 7-9 smudge in your memory. Worse, it might provide just enough false hope to drag it out another season.