Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncosDivision View Post
    Saints fans already going crazy over the release..
    http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/br.../#.VC7nLaiSzm4
    This must be how Browns' fans felt when they traded Richardson. Terrible.

Wrong move Denver ... Wrong move ...

I mostly agree with Elway and Co. But this is one of those WTH moments. Not saying McManus won't be good or whatever, but really? Go Smoke weed though. Your safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Larryh View Post
    I think it is very easy to understand. I believe the Broncos saw Prater as a loose cannon who is one drink away from oblivion. They also saw a drain on their cap and figured this was the time to save cap space. I doubt very much they are worried about 55 yard field goals. The upside to McManus is terrific.....Prater has no upside, only problems. I love the move and think Prater will be forgotten very quickly when McManus does his thing.

This hits the cap. Dead money.

All in all, terrible decision. He's arguably the bet kicker in the league, and easily the best kicker we've ever had. I really don't care about the possibility of him being suspended again. If he got suspended for a year, then he's gone for a year and you replace him them. He doesn't get paid when he's suspened.

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    I really hope this doesn't come back to bite us. Elway appears to be extremely Belicheat like in the way he cuts guys. See how trading an AP center is working out for the Patsies? I wonder how cutting a money in the bank, NFL record holding kicker is gonna work out? Prater gave us the ability to score points just about once we crossed the 50yl. What's the range on McManus? I wanna go lemming and just follow Elway on this one, but I can't. I just hope it's the right decision and in a few weeks Prater is another great Bronco memory in time.
    First, this is a kicker, a guy that plays less the 5% of the time. You're comparing him to a lineman? Really? What if this move frees up the money to sing DT and JT?

McManus range? He's reportedly hit a 70+ yarder. He's getting touchbacks every time he kicks off.

Prater was good and had a great year last year. Elam was still great when we let him go. But, we have tons of guys to sign and I can't see keeping a 3M dollar kicker that is one sip away from a year suspension. The Broncos had six good weeks to measure McManus and monitor Prater. Not sure what pushed them but they know they are playing for Superbowls. It would have been easy to keep him for this year and let him go at the end if it was just money. They obviously saw enough in McManus to make this move now.

I'm a bit surprised, but it sounds like their reasoning is they free up like $3 mil and they don't have to worry about the suspension again. Prater's next suspension I think takes him out for 2 years.

Bit of a gamble though, imagine a playoff game comes down to a FG with seconds on the clock. I hope McManus can deliver!

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoholic JS View Post
    I don't like it either. He will be picked up by someone for sure, hope that doesn't come back to bite us.
    It mght be the chiefs, they need a kicker bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosDivision View Post
    Saints fans already going crazy over the release..
    http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/br.../#.VC7nLaiSzm4
    I course. Almost every team in the league is going to want him. He's one of the best kickers in the league, he will have no shortage of options

Eh, it was probably a smart move.

If Prater would have a SIP of alcohol in his system, he'd be suspended for an entire season.

He brought it onto himself... As good as he was, he created his downfall here.

Prater Released?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...er-matt-prater

Anyone have any further knowledge on this?

By most measures, Matt Prater was the NFL's top kicker last season.

The Broncos released him before he had a chance to kick his first extra point this year. Prater, who is serving the final days of his four-game suspension for violating the league's alcohol program, was notified around 11 a.m. Friday that he would be released.

"I'm a little surprised," Prater said from Florida. "The Broncos look like they're going to do some great things this year. It's too bad I won't be a part of it. I'm just going to concentrate on keeping myself in shape and hopefully I'll be kicking for someone this year."

The Broncos are sticking with Brandon McManus, who in his first three NFL games is 14-of-16 in kickoff touchbacks and three-of-three on field-goal attempts, although his longest is from 24 yards.

To keep McManus, the Broncos will have to send the New York Giants a seventh-round draft pick as a condition for their trade last month. Was McManus surprised?

"Yes, I am. Matt had a great year last year," McManus said. "He's done very well for himself. I still consider him a top three kicker in the NFL so it's a chance the Broncos are giving me, it shows the confidence they have in me and I'm excited for that opportunity."

Money was no doubt a factor. McManus is drawing the minimum $420,000 salary this year while Prater was due to make $2.2 million after his suspension.

"It was a football decision," coach John Fox said. "(It's) what gives the Broncos the best chance to win. We wish Matt the best. Part of it was evaluating Brandon. You take the leap of faith in a lot of personnel decisions."

Prater made 25-of-26 field-goal attempts last year — including a 64-yarder that broke a 43-year-old NFL record. He also led the league with 81 touchbacks. But his suspension might have created an issue of trust within the Broncos' front office.

"I'm working on making myself better as a person and a player," Prater said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...ns-kicking-job

Very few of us knew this was coming. Cheers to Prayer.....with sparkling cider of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Eh, it was probably a smart move.

If Prater would have a SIP of alcohol in his system, he'd be suspended for an entire season.

He brought it onto himself... As good as he was, he created his downfall here.
    This is what i dont understand...We cut him, making us retain his money on the cap because we are scared of him getting suspended...

Let's say he get's suspended, you just replace him like we did this year, like other said he dosnt count on the cap when suspended...

I just dont understand

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

I have enough faith in Elway to believe that he would have kept Prater if he thought that McManus couldn't do the job. GM's need to make tough decisions. I am glad he had the guts to do what I believe will be best for the Bronco's in the long run. My guess if he can kick the ball consistently out of the end zone, even at sea level....he can handle FG's over 40 yards.
    Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

Yup its official.....save us salary cap money though