Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    I can see why they made the move.

Prater, 30, will count $4.1 million against Denver's cap next season. He was scheduled to make $2.5 million this year

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...er-matt-prater

Quote Originally Posted by JesseH View Post
    By most measures, Matt Prater was the NFL's top kicker last season.

The Broncos released him before he had a chance to kick his first extra point this year. Prater, who is serving the final days of his four-game suspension for violating the league's alcohol program, was notified around 11 a.m. Friday that he would be released.

"I'm a little surprised," Prater said from Florida. "The Broncos look like they're going to do some great things this year. It's too bad I won't be a part of it. I'm just going to concentrate on keeping myself in shape and hopefully I'll be kicking for someone this year."

The Broncos are sticking with Brandon McManus, who in his first three NFL games is 14-of-16 in kickoff touchbacks and three-of-three on field-goal attempts, although his longest is from 24 yards.

To keep McManus, the Broncos will have to send the New York Giants a seventh-round draft pick as a condition for their trade last month. Was McManus surprised?

"Yes, I am. Matt had a great year last year," McManus said. "He's done very well for himself. I still consider him a top three kicker in the NFL so it's a chance the Broncos are giving me, it shows the confidence they have in me and I'm excited for that opportunity."

Money was no doubt a factor. McManus is drawing the minimum $420,000 salary this year while Prater was due to make $2.2 million after his suspension.

"It was a football decision," coach John Fox said. "(It's) what gives the Broncos the best chance to win. We wish Matt the best. Part of it was evaluating Brandon. You take the leap of faith in a lot of personnel decisions."

Prater made 25-of-26 field-goal attempts last year — including a 64-yarder that broke a 43-year-old NFL record. He also led the league with 81 touchbacks. But his suspension might have created an issue of trust within the Broncos' front office.

"I'm working on making myself better as a person and a player," Prater said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...ns-kicking-job
    thanks for the article.

i get it, tough decision all things considered. guy was mr. clutch here. the only thing i hope, that maybe is going unnoticed by some outside us fans, brass and players is GOING FOR IT ON FOURTH DOWN.

that said i do not agree with the move, again, all things considered.
    time will tell. hope i am wrong.

Yep, he's off the team. McManus is the guy moving forward.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...7-a16074a581d4

Quote Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
    This is what i dont understand...We cut him, making us retain his money on the cap because we are scared of him getting suspended...

Let's say he get's suspended, you just replace him like we did this year, like other said he dosnt count on the cap when suspended...

I just dont understand
    The Broncos didn't ask to be in this position. This wasn't part of their plans. Fact of the matter is Prater gave the Broncos the option to look around. They found a young kid with a strong leg and must like what they see. Prater is one sip away from a year suspension. That's a problem, and a problem you don't need from a kicker.

It just seems to be a very random move considering he was almost done with his suspension. Maybe release and re-sign for less money?

Elway and co must have known something that made them feel the risk of keeping him outweighed the rewards. I just hope it doesn't come back and bite us...

I'm all for saving salary cap money, and I'm no expert on how players count against it, but it says Prater will be a 4.1 million dollar hit against the cap next year. Why would we cut him if he still counts against the cap next season?

I'm still on the fence about McManus. He is equally good at kicking for touchbacks as Matt was, but he hasn't even attempted a 30 yard FG yet, and I still remember his bad preseason game against Dallas.

But if a cut had to come from anywhere, I'd much rather it be a position like Kicker rather than a skill position.

They must of seen enough from McManus to move on ... its just a kicker! 3M is just too much for a problem ... KICKER!

Actually surprised by this. This could come back to bite us in the rear.

However, it could mean a couple of things.

First, he has proven in practice that he can hit longer field goals than we've seen him attempt.

Or, Fox has decided we ain't kicking any field goals this year. Lol

All I know is the pressure just got ratcheted up on McManus.

Congrats to MacMan!

So pissed... I just ordered my Prater jersey too... already on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Rebel View Post
    Yup its official.....save us salary cap money though
    his 4 mil hits the cap next year.

doesnt sound like we save that much

Quote Originally Posted by WHITEandGOLD View Post
    It just seems to be a very random move considering he was almost done with his suspension. Maybe release and re-sign for less money?
    doesnt he have to clear the wire waiver?

i dont think he will

Prater will count $4.1 million against the cap next season. Elway must really, really like McManus. He's just unproven in clutch situations.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

WOW! I didn't think they would do that!

Prater was scheduled to make $3,000,000 in 2014 and 812,500 in pro-rated bonus money previuosly paid.

Prater will no longer be making the $3 million

But, the Broncos will have to account for $1,625,000 in dead money (which is 812,500 in 2014 and 812,500 in 2015) that will count towards the 2014 cap.

Net affect, we will save 3,812,500 - 1,625,000 - 420k for mcmannus replacement = $1,767,500.
    Last edited by johntbronco; 10-03-2014 at 11:46 AM.