Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
    This is what i dont understand...We cut him, making us retain his money on the cap because we are scared of him getting suspended...

Let's say he get's suspended, you just replace him like we did this year, like other said he dosnt count on the cap when suspended...

I just dont understand
    i agree. doesnt make sense

His dead money is 1.625 this year and will be 812,500 next year... about 2.4 is it. His cap hit would've been 4.0625 next year is on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    Prater will count $4.1 million against the cap next season. Elway must really, really like McManus. He's just unproven in clutch situations.
    unproven past the 24.

his longest this year is 24yards. granted he hasnt had the opportunity to kick farther but still.
    he hasnt kicked a dang ball in a reg season game farther than 24

Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    WOW! I didn't think they would do that!

Prater was scheduled to make $3,000,000 in 2014 and 812,500 in pro-rated bonus money previuosly paid.

Prater will no longer be making the $3 million

But, the Broncos will have to account for $1,625,000 in dead money (which is 812,500 in 2014 and 812,500 in 2015) that will count towards the 2014 cap.

Net affect, we will save 3,812,500 - 1,625,000 - 420k for mcmannus replacement = $1,767,500.
    You may be right, he was guaranteed to get 4.25M and got a 3M bonus but on the cap it looks like the Broncos still have 2.4 left to go on the guaranteed?

McManus is unproven and Prater isn't dependable......flip a coin, either way it's a little difficult to be comfortable with either one of them. With that said, McManus is the safer pick IMO.

McManus has the leg. Janikowski type power. Question is though, accuracy especially from 40+ and ability to get the job done in high pressure situations.
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche

I as just reading the fan comments on the Denver Post's Facebook page... If you knew nothing about Prater you'd assume he could walk on water and has never missed a kick in his career

McManus must be showing the team something in practice to make them feel confident in letting Prater go. I don't care about the FGs he missed in preseason, because Prater missed similar also, and has missed similar throughout his career. He's missed quite a few short ones over the years also.

I can't deny all the clutch kicks he's made though, and wish him well. The short lived Tebow era would have been a lot gloomier without him, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaOrange View Post
    First, this is a kicker, a guy that plays less the 5% of the time. You're comparing him to a lineman? Really? What if this move frees up the money to sing DT and JT?
    A great player who adds points and contributes to wins, is a great player. Regardless of position. Whether u want to agree or not, but kicking is a crucial aspect of the game. And when u have a guy who is money and still in his prime, u don't let that go. Even if he traded for a 6th rd pick, something is better than nothing. Especially when u have teams who have horrific kicking and would salivate at the prospects of getting an AP kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaOrange View Post
    McManus range? He's reportedly hit a 70+ yarder. He's getting touchbacks every time he kicks off.

Prater was good and had a great year last year. Elam was still great when we let him go. But, we have tons of guys to sign and I can't see keeping a 3M dollar kicker that is one sip away from a year suspension. The Broncos had six good weeks to measure McManus and monitor Prater. Not sure what pushed them but they know they are playing for Superbowls. It would have been easy to keep him for this year and let him go at the end if it was just money. They obviously saw enough in McManus to make this move now.
    Key word is reportedly. We know Prater is the best in the game at 55+. No guessing or "reportedly" about it. He made us that much more dangerous because of his range. And when we released Elam, he was on the downside, not in his prime. He was still money, but he only played 2 more years. Where Prater is gonna be a PB kicker for possibly another 5-7 years.

Very surprised but they must know something we don't. Maybe he wasn't able to do what was expected of him regarding his alcohol program but we don't know of course.

Wish him well, but this makes me really nervous.

I get trying to save some money to re-sign guys like Julius, DT, Pot Roast, and Moore after the season is over, but why not waive him instead of outright releasing him?? What are the implications of waiving vs. releasing him? If we waived him, he would hit the waiver wire and any team could pick him up and continue to pay his current deal/contract.

Also, why now? The timing of it?? News of the suspension comes out, why not release him then or that week? Or week 1 or 2? Or last week during the bye?? Why now as his suspension is almost over?

A bit of a surprise but not sure why there are so many negative comments about McManus.

It is a risk. He is essentially a rookie kicker. Things will certainly get nerve racking in close games. But some of you are reacting like McManus has never kicked a ball in his life.

He had a decent college career. Good statistics. Has a strong leg. He has looked good in the first three games. Can even be the emergency punter if needed. Obviously he has looked good in practice or Elway would not have made such a drastic move. McManus era has begun!

I wish Prater well. I am certain he will sign on with another team quickly.

Also, as with any player that ever leaves us via free agency, release, waive etc., I fully expect him to go to a team that we play this year so he can get a game winning kick/revenge against us.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    You may be right, he was guaranteed to get 4.25M and got a 3M bonus but on the cap it looks like the Broncos still have 2.4 left to go on the guaranteed?

Prater already ran out on his 4,250,000 guaranteed portion of his money back in 2012.
    He has already been paid $3,250,000 in an upfront bonus in 2012 and his 2012 1,000,000 salary was also guaranteed.

Nothing else in his contract is guaranteed.

The Broncos will still have to account for half of that upfront bonus ($1,625,000) towards the cap this year as dead money by cutting him.

I was shocked when I read this but kind of expected it in the back of my mind. You have to look at it from their perspective. Prater is one mess up away from a year long ban (remember his suspension was reduced) and good kickers with big legs are hard to find. Kansas City is having problems with it now. The Broncos can't trust him anymore. McManus has a huge leg and must be showing great in practice, he has the leg to beat Prater's record. McManus can drive the ball out of the back of the endzone no matter where we are playing, while Prater recently has been struggling with getting the ball in the back of the endzone. Then there is the money, its a no brainer there. Prater has no one to blame but himself, he has had this problem since around 2011. A kicker doesn't get the doubt when it comes to offield drama. I just hope this doesn't bite us in the end but I have faith McManus can develop into as good of a kicker as Prater was and all we gave up was a 7th round pick.

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

McManus basically shuts down any kick off return-Harvin was a non factor on kick offs in the Seattle game. Prater is dead LAST in the league on kick offs and it was worsening. I am as nervous as anyone else to have Mcmanus kicking field goals to maybe win a game, but Elway and the team have seen something in practice and they are looking at money saved. Also, the off field drama was the end for him and he looked out of shape in the preseason. Me thinks he was having more than a "beer on vacation" as he was sporting a gut-I could be wrong. Here is hoping it works!