Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    Michigan St is probably gonna house us. Hopefully we can at least keep it respectable.
    I expected Ohio St to win mainly because I don't think Michigan St is that good to begin with. A lot of people like to grade teams on what they did the previous season. That's ok for preseason rankings, but Michigan St's defense is nowhere near what it was last year. If it was they would've beaten Oregon in the first place.

Another thing, is that Barrett can throw the ball more effectively than Miller can, so it becomes problematic for the Spartans to simply dial in on stopping the option. Which is basically all they had to do against Ohio St and Stanford last year. Nice win though, Buckeyes.

Who knows. With the SEC cannibalizing itself, FLA St relying on Winston to do everything, and the championship games, maybe they have an outside shot at getting in. I doubt it though. People are always going to look at that Virginia Tech game, and if we're talking body of work, they should. It couldn't be any more obvious that Barrett is a different quarterback now than he was then, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    I expected Ohio St to win mainly because I don't think Michigan St is that good to begin with. A lot of people like to grade teams on what they did the previous season. That's ok for preseason rankings, but Michigan St's defense is nowhere near what it was last year. If it was they would've beaten Oregon in the first place.

Another thing, is that Barrett can throw the ball more effectively than Miller can, so it becomes problematic for the Spartans to simply dial in on stopping the option. Which is basically all they had to do against Ohio St and Stanford last year. Nice win though, Buckeyes.

Who knows. With the SEC cannibalizing itself, FLA St relying on Winston to do everything, and the championship games, maybe they have an outside shot at getting in. I doubt it though. People are always going to look at that Virginia Tech game, and if we're talking body of work, they should. It couldn't be any more obvious that Barrett is a different quarterback now than he was then, though.

Come on man, you really knew what to expect from the Buckeyes after the weak schedule & the Penn St showing? You're a better judge than me if that's the case.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    TCU has the better set of wins. If the committee is serious about being impartial, and using the whole body of work then TCU is in over Bama. However, I doubt it because not having two SEC teams is blasphemy.
    They have a single better win. Beating K st at home while Bama beat LSU on the road. Call me bias but I'm more impressed on Bamas win.

Both beat West Virginia so that's a wash.

Then TCU beat 6-3 Oklahoma who has 0 quality wins while Bama beat 7-3 A&M who just upset Auburn. I personally think A&M is better than Oklahoma.

The one thing I'll give you is I think TCU passes the eye test more than Alabama. Because Alabama looks bad on the road and TCU is winning handily anywhere except Oklahoma.

But again it's funny that you think it's going to come down to a popularity contest.

Bama plays Miss st this weekend and pending the score the loser is likely eliminated. And if Bama beats Miss st and Auburn then you can't still argue the resume in favor of TCU.

I just find it funny how everyone gripes about the rankings every week like their final. Just relax and let the games play out. I feel confident that at the end of November there will only be four 1 loss or 0 loss teams. And that will be the playoff regardless of conference.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    They have a single better win. Beating K st at home while Bama beat LSU on the road. Call me bias but I'm more impressed on Bamas win.

Both beat West Virginia so that's a wash.

Then TCU beat 6-3 Oklahoma who has 0 quality wins while Bama beat 7-3 A&M who just upset Auburn. I personally think A&M is better than Oklahoma.

The one thing I'll give you is I think TCU passes the eye test more than Alabama. Because Alabama looks bad on the road and TCU is winning handily anywhere except Oklahoma.

But again it's funny that you think it's going to come down to a popularity contest.

Bama plays Miss st this weekend and pending the score the loser is likely eliminated. And if Bama beats Miss st and Auburn then you can't still argue the resume in favor of TCU.

I just find it funny how everyone gripes about the rankings every week like their final. Just relax and let the games play out. I feel confident that at the end of November there will only be four 1 loss or 0 loss teams. And that will be the playoff regardless of conference.
    OK you're biased

I disagree with that. I think the most likely scenario is Alabama beats MS State this weekend, moves up from #4 to #2 and MS State stays in the top 5 or 6. Alabama will win out, and win the SEC West. MS State will also win out after losing to Alabama and be right back in the top 4 and make the playoffs after beating Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl.

I think the only way MS State doesn't make the playoffs is if they lose at least 2 of their remaining games. They haven't been hitting on all cylinders since Prescott has been hurt, but I just don't see them losing to 2 of their last 3.

I also think there is very little chance that Alabama isn't in the top 4 after beating LSU, even though they should have lost that game.

This all awesomes the winner of the SEC West goes on to win the SEC Championship, which isn't a given. The worst thing about being in the SEC is that you are in the SEC and have to play so many great football teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    Come on man, you really knew what to expect from the Buckeyes after the weak schedule & the Penn St showing? You're a better judge than me if that's the case.
    Really wasn't surprised by the second half struggles in Happy Valley. That is a hell of a home field advantage, particularly when they play the Buckeyes. That, and Barrett getting hurt. Michigan St doesn't have much of a home field advantage to speak of. So with the way the media hyped Michigan St, and the way the game went last year, I expected the Buckeyes to win. It wasn't one of those bold prediction deals, where I went out and put money on the Buckeyes or anything, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiver View Post
    I disagree with that. I think the most likely scenario is Alabama beats MS State this weekend, moves up from #4 to #2 and MS State stays in the top 5 or 6. Alabama will win out, and win the SEC West. MS State will also win out after losing to Alabama and be right back in the top 4 and make the playoffs after beating Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl.

I think the only way MS State doesn't make the playoffs is if they lose at least 2 of their remaining games. They haven't been hitting on all cylinders since Prescott has been hurt, but I just don't see them losing to 2 of their last 3.

I also think there is very little chance that Alabama isn't in the top 4 after beating LSU, even though they should have lost that game.

This all awesomes the winner of the SEC West goes on to win the SEC Championship, which isn't a given. The worst thing about being in the SEC is that you are in the SEC and have to play so many great football teams.
    The area we disagree is that I think Miss St. loses both of their remaining road games. I think Prescott is severely over hyped. Everyone thinks they will fall flat against Bama this weekend and the Rebels defense is even better than Bamas. The only difference is Ole Miss offense is much worse.

But Miss st. doesn't exactly have a steller defense either. So give me the home team in the egg bowl and I think that effectively eliminates Miss st. and the SEC gets one. Which unfortunately is Bama.

I also personally think that unless Miss St. keeps the game close then they will drop below TCU and out of the top 4. And deservedly so if it's a blowout.

Also I really think we get blown out but in the iron bowl all bets are off. I've seen much more over matched Auburn teams nearly pull the upset. And same when Bama is inferior.

Something no one is talking about is that it's very possible for the SEC to get 0 teams in the playoff. Heck it's a long shot but the winner of Miss St and Bama could lose to Georgia in the title game.

I'm not to focused on the playoffs till the season is over, but I will probably disagree with the teams in it. Mainly because I believe only Champions should be in the playoffs so if you don't win your conference you are out of the playoffs. But that is me, but teams are going to win and teams are going to lose and these will be shaken up by the end.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

I really wish that they'd have gone to 8 teams for the playoff instead of 4. There's about 10 teams that could beat one another any weekend, and I just don't see that one dominant team. Hopefully if things work out we get to see the Oregon \ Alabama matchup that everyone's been wanting to see the last few seasons.

Adopted Posters:
    Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
    Adopted By:
    Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
    Broncbeat

I'd say they will go to a 8 team format sometime in the near future.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

The area we disagree is that I think Miss St. loses both of their remaining road games. I think Prescott is severely over hyped. Everyone thinks they will fall flat against Bama this weekend and the Rebels defense is even better than Bamas. The only difference is Ole Miss offense is much worse.

But Miss st. doesn't exactly have a steller defense either. So give me the home team in the egg bowl and I think that effectively eliminates Miss st. and the SEC gets one. Which unfortunately is Bama.

I also personally think that unless Miss St. keeps the game close then they will drop below TCU and out of the top 4. And deservedly so if it's a blowout.

Also I really think we get blown out but in the iron bowl all bets are off. I've seen much more over matched Auburn teams nearly pull the upset. And same when Bama is inferior.

Something no one is talking about is that it's very possible for the SEC to get 0 teams in the playoff. Heck it's a long shot but the winner of Miss St and Bama could lose to Georgia in the title game.
    I don't see Alabama blowing MS State out Saturday. I think it will be a close game that goes down to the wire or close to it. But I think Alabama will pull it out.

I agree about Prescott but he has been hurt the last few weeks. MS State has a weak secondary, but they are pretty good up front. I don't think Alabama is going to have much success running the ball on them, unless Mullen insists on playing his #2s against them like he has been doing in some other games even when they are clearly outmatched.

I just don't think Ole Miss will beat MS State without Treadwell. In fact, Arkansas is likely to get their 1st SEC win this week against Ole Miss. But we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    I'm not to focused on the playoffs till the season is over, but I will probably disagree with the teams in it. Mainly because I believe only Champions should be in the playoffs so if you don't win your conference you are out of the playoffs. But that is me, but teams are going to win and teams are going to lose and these will be shaken up by the end.
    I partially agree with this except the Big 12 doesn't play a conference championship. That said if Miss st. loses this late in the season they deserve to drop below TCU. But I don't necessarily agree they should move ahead of Bama if Bama beats Miss St. and Auburn. Though the Auburn win is looking less prestigious by the week.

I know Big 12 plays 9 conference games in season but they would still have an 11-1 record same as an SEC West runner up. While the other conference champs would be 12-1 or 13-0.

And not all conferences are created equal. The Big 12 will have impressive resumes this year. But I don't think anyone is wowed at the ACC or Big 10 schedules.

I partially agree with this except the Big 12 doesn't play a conference championship. That said if Miss st. loses this late in the season they deserve to drop below TCU. But I don't necessarily agree they should move ahead of Bama if Bama beats Miss St. and Auburn. Though the Auburn win is looking less prestigious by the week.

I know Big 12 plays 9 conference games in season but they would still have an 11-1 record same as an SEC West runner up. While the other conference champs would be 12-1 or 13-0.

And not all conferences are created equal. The Big 12 will have impressive resumes this year. But I don't think anyone is wowed at the ACC or Big 10 schedules.
    The thing is the playoff polls apparently aren't going to work like the other polls. They are going to look at the whole body of work for the season. For a 1 loss team, it's not going to matter if that loss came the 1st week or the last week of the season. All that is going to matter as far as the loss goes is who it is too and how bad it was. There is no way a 1 loss MS State team doesn't make the top 4, unless maybe that loss comes to Vanderbilt which it won't.

Mullen is too deep in love with running Prescott. It works maybe once in every 10 carries. Robinson should be getting more carries

Agreed. They have conceded several drives trying to run Prescott on third down in obvious pass situations.

But it's not exactly like Prescott puts fear in the defense with his arm either.