• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A-FIzzle
    Practice Squad
    • Jun 2008

2014 Week 7 Preview - San Francisco 49ers @ Denver Broncos

This Sunday night pinned our beloved 4-1 Denver Broncos against the 4-2 San Francisco 49ers. Now our Broncos are coming off a pleasing 31-17 win over the Jets. Now they return home for a Sunday night showdown. And best believe, this should pan out to be a great game, if not the game of the week for week 7.

In the Broncos' pleasing win over the Jets, the offense and defense played good. Not great, but good. There were moments where the offense was non-existent and the defense let up, but overall, they did where they needed to do to get the win. As far as the 49ers, they were coming off an ugly win over the Rams last night, and are now riding high on a 3-game winning streak heading into the Mile High city.

Now the matchup of the game will be the Broncos' O-line vs. the 49ers' front seven. The 49ers have a great defense. And despite a few injuries, they were able to get the job done and kept their team in the game. They will be put to a test against a Broncos' offense who's gaining their rhythm from last season. Now the Broncos' O-line will have to be on their A-game protecting Peyton Manning and creating holes for the running backs. They can't afford to be caught napping. Otherwise, we'll see a repeat of last Sunday where Peyton was sometimes running for his life. That can't happen at all against the 49ers.

Now the 49ers have a solid secondary. I believe the Broncos have one of the best receiving corps, if not the best, in the NFL. I say that Emmanuel Sanders is really fast and can be very reliable foe 2nd/3rd & long situations. He can be fast enough to burn whichever defensive back for a 1st down. Wes Welker is great for slots, and he could be weapon-X in Sunday's game. DeMaryius Thomas is the explosive wide receiver, so he'll likely be the ultimate go-to guy. And Julius Thomas could be used in the red zone to get the quick red zone touchdowns. But with DeMaryius likely be the go-to guy for the 49ers, so I can see Julius Thomas as Peyton's weapon. And with the running game, just follow their blockers to churn their way to big gains. And I'd see to see Juwan Thompson get his shot here against a great 49er front seven.

Flipping it around, the 49ers are ranked 31st in passing (I believe), and Colin Kaepernick will be the 3rd mobile QB the Broncos will face this season (Alex Smith & Russell Wilson were the first two). My thing is that the defensive ends must keep Kaepernick in the pocket, and wrap him up tight if he begins to run. Force Kaepernick to throw it. Make them one-dimensional. If the Broncos succeed in that, the 49ers will likely be doomed. Frank Gore won't be able to beat the Broncos by himself. And I want T.J. Ward & Bradley Roby to show that crybaby Vernon Davis that this defense means business. Have Aqib Talib focus on Crabtree. He'll be likely to get another interception. The defense just has to play smart and don't give up any big plays at all. Can't afford to give up any big plays at all.

More importantly, let's limit the penalties, Broncos. Eleven penalties against the Jets is unacceptable.

This will be first matchup between the two teams since 2010. In the last matchup between the Broncos & 49ers, the 49ers defeated the Broncos 24-16 overseas in London. The 49ers currently hold a 2-game winning streak over the Broncos and lead the head-to-head series 7-6. The last Broncos' win over the 49ers came on September 15th, 2002 (week 2) when they won 24-14 in San Francisco. The last Broncos' win over the 49ers in Denver came on December 23rd, 2000 (week 17) when the Broncos blew out the 49ers 38-9 to end legendary player Jerry Rice's tenure with the 49ers.

My prediction: The 49ers are better than the Jets, so I expect this game to be tougher. But in the end, I predict that the Broncos will win 31-24.

That's my take. GO BRONCOS!!!!!!! DB4L!!!!
    ~ A-Fizzle ~
  • armedequation
    cafe official sidekick
    • Aug 2005

willis is out for this game too.....noteworthy
    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• chad72
      Special Teams
      • Mar 2012

Clock control, tempo control, Kaepernick's running, 49ers running and hard hitting, you will see it all in this game.

Broncos barely break 30 in this game.

I am going with Broncos 28/31 49ers 24

Comment

• Hadez
        Football Immortal
        • Nov 2004

Post your forvorite current Bronco(s) stat/ranking

Ok so I ran across a stat that made me feel good about our Broncos thanks to Yahoo fantasy football.

I wanted to share it but I wanted to open it up for everyone to share something.

Not just stats but maybe player rankings, team rankings or any kind of thing that shows what our Bronco(s) have accomplished in 2014

Here is what I wanted to share with other Bronco fans

Number of 3-outs forced
        Denver - 37
        NYJ - 36
        Phil - 34
        Indy 33
        Det - 30

Tackles for Loss
        Stl - 60
        Det - 59
        Buff - 58
        TB - 54
        Den - 54
        What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
        effort x talent = skill
        effort x skill = achievement
        How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• RobertR
          Starter
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
          Ok so I ran across a stat that made me feel good about our Broncos thanks to Yahoo fantasy football.

I wanted to share it but I wanted to open it up for everyone to share something.

Not just stats but maybe player rankings, team rankings or any kind of thing that shows what our Bronco(s) have accomplished in 2014

Here is what I wanted to share with other Bronco fans

Number of 3-outs forced
          Denver - 37
          NYJ - 36
          Phil - 34
          Indy 33
          Det - 30

Tackles for Loss
          Stl - 60
          Det - 59
          Buff - 58
          TB - 54
          Den - 54
          Denver leads the league in 3 and outs? Wow! With all the angst about being unable to stop teams on 3rd and long, that's nice to know.

Comment

• Papa-pwn
            Captain
            • Aug 2008

We have the best run defense in the league.

Not just because we allow the lowest total yards and YPC, but because teams have had very little success running against us when it counts, allowing only 27 rushing 1st downs this year, 9 less than the 2nd place Lions. Even on a percentage basis, we are best at preventing RBs from crossing that yellow line at at 14.3% 1st down rate.

Our DBs are also very good in run support. Given the fact that we're one of two teams not to allow a run of over 25 yards.

Comment

• DenverBlood
              Football Immortal
              • Nov 2005

I would guess that the Raiders significantly improved our ranking this weekend.

My favorite stat is 7-2!
              sigpic

Comment

• TheMoth
                Practice Squad
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by SM19
                Defensive DVOA is -17.6%, good for second in the league per Football Outsiders. Obviously no one doubts that our offense is the best in the league, but I still don't think our defense gets the credit it deserves.
                The defense would be getting more credit if it wasn't for the pats game. Even though they were put in bad spots that game and didn't play that poorly it effects how they are looked at

Comment

• JayJack
                  Captain
                  • Mar 2008

We have 62 takeaway points! That's my favorite.
                  sigpic

Comment

• BroncosDivision
                    #27 | HOF | CLASS OF 2020
                    • Sep 2009

Points for is higher than points against. I find such stat quite important.
                    Adopted Poster
                    AZ Snake Fan

Comment

• Hadez
                      Football Immortal
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                      We have 62 takeaway points! That's my favorite.
                      Yea this lead me to find this stuff

8 give aways

tied with a few other teams for third best behind Arz (7) and NE (6)

6 teams we have played are also in top 9 of fewest give ways (SF, SD, Arz, KC, Sea, NE) yet we still are 8th in TO Differential at +4
                      What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                      effort x talent = skill
                      effort x skill = achievement
                      How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• JayJack
                        Captain
                        • Mar 2008

Yea this lead me to find this stuff

8 give aways

tied with a few other teams for third best behind Arz (7) and NE (6)

6 teams we have played are also in top 9 of fewest give ways (SF, SD, Arz, KC, Sea, NE) yet we still are 8th in TO Differential at +4
                        Nice!! Now we just need to tighten up on these 3rd and Carolina and we'll be good to go.
                        sigpic

Comment

• UnitedInOrange
                          Bench Warmer
                          • Sep 2013

Tackles for Loss
                          Stl - 60
                          Welp. We'll get to see if CJ and the reswizzled O-line are the real deal.

Comment

• BroncoBrennan89
                            Bench Warmer
                            • Aug 2008

Broncos Popularity

I am curious as to what kind of town Denver is. Meaning how popular are the Rockies, Nuggets, AVS, in comparison to the Broncos? ( Ticket sales, radio, media coverage, ratings etc).

Comment

• AussieBronco76
                              Special Teams
                              • Dec 2012

Even though I live on the other side of the globe I know that when the Broncos are in season it is definitely a broncos town and when they are winning like this year its all broncos.This speaking to many Denverites over the years.
                              Last edited by AussieBronco76; 11-15-2014, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X