View Poll Results: Elway or Manning

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elway

45 76.27%
  • Manning

14 23.73%
Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    Elway was a HofF quarterback despite being saddled, for much of his career, with below average talent and inept offensive game plans. The Dan Reeves era was mostly keep the game close and let #7 win it at the end. Reeves was horrid at putting talent around Elway. First round picks were Wilhitte, Sewell and Nattiel. All three were average at best. As a result, Elway became the ultimate clutch quarterback.

Luckily, Shanahan came along with the west coast offense and built a solid team around Elway. As Bronco fans we love EddieMac, Rod Smith, TD and Shannon Sharpe. Lets be honest, its Elway who made those players careers. EddieMac was an afterthought when he was signed from the 49ers but was brought to Denver only because he knew Shanahan's offense. Rod Smith was an undrafted free agent. TD was a sixth round draft choice who almost quit his rookie year. Shannon Sharpe was a late round draft pick from the Reeves era. Would TD and Sharpe be in the HofF without the benefit of playing with Elway? Did Elway ever have a true number one receiver? Just imagine if Elway had played with a great talent evaluator and offensive genius his entire career.

On the flip side, Manning was given tremendous freedom throughout his entire career. Tom Moore let Manning run the offense for over a decade. John Fox let Manning do his thing. Only under Kubiak, was Peyton was forced to adapt to a system he wasn't comfortable with. Would he have been successful in a Dan Reeves offense? I seriously doubt it. Additionally, Manning was blessed with tremendous talent because the Colts were built by a HofF general manager. Edgerrin James was a top 5 draft pick. Harrison was a first round pick. Reggie Wayne was a first round pick. All three will likely end up in the HofF and would have been highly successful with most quarterbacks. When Peyton got to Denver, DT fell in his lap. Also, he had Elway as the talent evaluator and he may very end up as a HofF type general manager.

Elway was a franchis quarterback who could succeed in any system or with lack of surrounding talent. Put Elway on the 49era with Bill Walsh and he would have had a better career than Montana. Put Montana on the Broncos under Dan Reeves and he would have never won a single Super Bowl. Honestly, some of those Bronco teams had talent similar to todays Cleveland Browns.

We will never know if Manning could repeat his career numbers under less than ideal circumstances. Both are in the top 5 all-time, but Elway gets the nod because he has proven he didn't need top talent and could win in any system.

ELWAY, no doubt. Swap the times they played in. Elway would do great, perfect QB body type. Manning would do good too, good. Elway 2nd most sacked QB in NFL history, how would Manning handle that. Elway took a beating and played on some really bad teams. Remember Gaston Green? I remember being excited about Elway finally had really good running back. Not so much. Guy did so much with nothing, for so long and with Reeves.

Lets not pretend like the colts had some top notch front office. Peyton masked alot of their deficiencies. If the team was so good and well put together they wouldn't have went 2-14 in his absence. Only 5 times did they ever put a top 10 defense together to help him out on the other side of the ball. If the colts were half as good in the front office as some of you claim they would have built a dynasty around Peyton.

Lets not try and downplay one player to make a case for another. We all seen how manning elevated the talent of the players we had when he came here. Julius Thomas DT Decker even had knowshon.None of these players were pro bowlers or all pros before him all of them were with him well except for knowshon but it was the only year of his career he looked worthy of being a 1st round pick. Not only that but he hid how poor in pass protection our line was alot of those guys got paid elsewhere as a result and disappointed when they weren't nearly as good.

Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    Lets not pretend like the colts had some top notch front office. Peyton masked alot of their deficiencies. If the team was so good and well put together they wouldn't have went 2-14 in his absence. Only 5 times did they ever put a top 10 defense together to help him out on the other side of the ball. If the colts were half as good in the front office as some of you claim they would have built a dynasty around Peyton.

Lets not try and downplay one player to make a case for another. We all seen how manning elevated the talent of the players we had when he came here. Julius Thomas DT Decker even had knowshon.None of these players were pro bowlers or all pros before him all of them were with him well except for knowshon but it was the only year of his career he looked worthy of being a 1st round pick. Not only that but he hid how poor in pass protection our line was alot of those guys got paid elsewhere as a result and disappointed when they weren't nearly as good.
    Bill Polian?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Manning was a maniac and one of a kind but the thing that puts elways above manning is his crazy mobility. Even at 38 or 39 he could move

I forgot to add that Manning also played home games in a dome for 14 years. That's a huge difference. Case in point would be Drew Brees. He is not nearly the same player when he isn't in the Superdome.

Playoff record also is in Elway's favor. I believe he only lost one game in his playoff career when the Broncos were the higher seed(Jacksonville). Manning lost a lot when the his team was the higher seed.

The only thing that really matters in winning. Winning Championship specifically. So the real question here actually, "Who would you choose to win a must win game in their prime?". The answer should be quite clear and simple.

John Elway
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche

Elway for me but this is close call for me. Elway had the rocket arm, clutch, durable, toughness, the determarion to will his team to win time again and again was legendary to me the will power was Jordan esque. Oh yeah Elway was a physical freak of nature himself little more athletic than Aaron Rodgers was who reminds me somewhat of Marino and Elway in play style.
    Last edited by Chillez; 04-11-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Elway is my sports hero growing up I have ton of love for him and admiration without him back in the day not sure I would've became a diehard Broncos fan that I am today.

I unfortunately wasn't a Bronco fan and was too young to fully grasp the impact of John Elway as a player. I chose Manning because of the impact he had on the game (playing more w his head than anyone, hurry-up, his work at the LoS) and winning a Champ w 2 teams (had never been done and may never be done again). Not only that, but all of the accolades Manning had off the field and hearing from everyone around him how good of a person he was.

I'll always appreciate what Elway did for this franchise (gave value to the Bronco brand) and continues to do, but I've also heard A TON that he is a massive jerk in real life. Just based on what I've heard, my assumption is Manning is a much better "person," which I also factored in.
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16

Elway all the way!

Thinking more about it we have been beyond blessed to have two of top five QB in NFL history play for our team that's pretty special. There's not many orgizations in NFL that can say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    I unfortunately wasn't a Bronco fan and was too young to fully grasp the impact of John Elway as a player. I chose Manning because of the impact he had on the game (playing more w his head than anyone, hurry-up, his work at the LoS) and winning a Champ w 2 teams (had never been done and may never be done again). Not only that, but all of the accolades Manning had off the field and hearing from everyone around him how good of a person he was.

I'll always appreciate what Elway did for this franchise (gave value to the Bronco brand) and continues to do, but I've also heard A TON that he is a massive jerk in real life. Just based on what I've heard, my assumption is Manning is a much better "person," which I also factored in.
    Yea, Elway must have the biggest 'alpha male gets what he wants' personality I ever saw. No one has had a bigger impact on Denver, but I would not want a beer with him.

People romanticize the past. Manning changed the game in ways no QB can boast, it isn't really a close comparison. Elway was very good though and has been a tremendous GM too, and will obviously always be 'closer' to Denver than maybe any other former player.

Manning presnap
    Elway post snap

Quote Originally Posted by BayouCatFan View Post
    Elway was a franchise quarterback who could succeed in any system or with lack of surrounding talent. Put Elway on the 49's era with Bill Walsh and he would have had a better career than Montana. Put Montana on the Broncos under Dan Reeves and he would have never won a single Super Bowl.
    Definitely. Beginning my life as a Bronco fan living in the sf bay area in '84 it used to drive me crazy all the undeserved worship Montana got while Elway was always looked down on as 2nd rate. I used to dream the 9ers and Broncos would trade HC's...Reeves/Montana would have been lucky to ever see a SB while Walsh/Elway would have won so many Bronco SB's that it would take another 5 for Brady to catch up
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!