59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elway

45 76.27%
  • Manning

14 23.73%
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46
    [QUOTE=samparnell;5576275]
    Quote Originally Posted by olgrouch View Post

Try right click on Edit Post and click on Open at the top of the box. That should take you to a screen where you can edit your post.
    Tried it that seems to work at least. It also seems to work with reply w/quote . But it doesn't do it w/ simple reply still doesn't post any reference to the post I'm replying to. I'm not making these weird reply posts on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    Irrespective - as great as many of these players were compared to their contemporaries, then the game is much faster, defensive schemes are more complex, the big fat boys move much better, their stamina is much better, they practice more and more intense.

If you take a premier player like Dan Marino, and look at where he holds the ball before throwing it and imagine Von Miller on the other side, then there would have been a lot of strip sacks. It is fine that you feel compelled to names drop things you find on the internet, but do you really think that Sid Luckman would have completed those passes (to his own players) against Chris Harris or Talib or against the worst NFL team of today?
    It's not fair though, to compare era's in this way. I remember someone looking at very old photos of Ty Cobb, with his split hands on the bat, stating that it wouldn't work in the modern game etc. Well, he would adjust accordingly. His approach would change.
    The point is, great talents adjust. The talent is there, in the mind really.
    A "modern Marino" would have all of the benefits of modern nutrition (and PEDs.....) and would be quicker than his 1980s counterpart. Marino's modern OLine would also be bigger and faster now, than what he had in the 80s-90s. etc. His receivers would be faster, stronger etc.

I watched color broadcast (on CD recently) of the 1971 All Star game in Detroit. There were many HOFamers in that game. What struck me immediately, was how small they looked compared to today's guys. But the talent was there, it was simply locked into bodies from 45 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    Irrespective - as great as many of these players were compared to their contemporaries, then the game is much faster, defensive schemes are more complex, the big fat boys move much better, their stamina is much better, they practice more and more intense.

If you take a premier player like Dan Marino, and look at where he holds the ball before throwing it and imagine Von Miller on the other side, then there would have been a lot of strip sacks. It is fine that you feel compelled to names drop things you find on the internet, but do you really think that Sid Luckman would have completed those passes (to his own players) against Chris Harris or Talib or against the worst NFL team of today?
    Any time you feel like perusing my playbook collection and football library, come on over.

Other than that, stop trolling me.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtofManning View Post
    It's not fair though, to compare era's in this way. I remember someone looking at very old photos of Ty Cobb, with his split hands on the bat, stating that it wouldn't work in the modern game etc. Well, he would adjust accordingly. His approach would change.
    The point is, great talents adjust. The talent is there, in the mind really.
    A "modern Marino" would have all of the benefits of modern nutrition (and PEDs.....) and would be quicker than his 1980s counterpart. Marino's modern OLine would also be bigger and faster now, than what he had in the 80s-90s. etc. His receivers would be faster, stronger etc.

I watched color broadcast (on CD recently) of the 1971 All Star game in Detroit. There were many HOFamers in that game. What struck me immediately, was how small they looked compared to today's guys. But the talent was there, it was simply locked into bodies from 45 years ago.
    Advancement in doping testing has far outstripped the advancement in PED's, but in general the whole point is that level of competition, the workethics, the training .... is much better now, and it makes it impossible to properly compare different times. Had the Johnny Unitas, Roger Stauback's.... had to compete today some would be elite and some wouldn't be able to make it.

Take Peyton Manning - would he have been able to handle the physicality of the Montana/Elway/Marino Ara and if he did would even the 1985 Bears have stood a chance against the way Manning dissected the game. There is a reason that success in college does not necessarily translate to the NFL, as would be the case of someone that dominated inferior competition 50 years ago.

I take Manning!.
    Go Broncos Go.