• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JesseH
    Bench Warmer
    • Sep 2013

Philip Rivers shows that he's mortal

Observed and heard in the locker room after the San Diego Chargers' 23-20 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs:

Rivers
    -- After five straight games with at least a 120 passer rating, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers played solid, but not spectacular against the Chiefs.

Rivers finished 17-of-31 (54.8 percent) for 205 yards, two touchdowns and an interception late in the game. He was sacked twice, and finished with an 83.4 passer rating.

"To expect that we're going to go up and down the field and never punt, and just win all the time is unrealistic," Rivers said. "I thought this was an NFL game that we didn't play our very best."

Rivers threw a touchdown pass in his 27th straight game, extending his franchise record. He also connected on a touchdown pass with tight end Antonio Gates for a 67th time, extending the NFL record for a quarterback-tight end tandem.

-- Chargers head coach Mike McCoy was not making excuses for his team's issues on third down defensively. San Diego's defense struggled to get off of the field on third down, finishing 3-of-10 against Kansas City's offense. "We didn't make enough plays," McCoy said. "We didn't have 11 guys making plays. We didn't stop them. No excuses at all. They made plays, we didn't."

-- Defensive lineman Corey Liuget was called for a questionable face mask penalty on Kansas City's drive that set up the winning field goal. Alex Smith moved to escape the pocket, and at first blush Liuget appeared to grab his face mask.

However, replays showed Liuget actually grabbed Smith's shoulder pads before he escaped for a 9-yard gain.

The Chiefs got an additional 15 yards tacked on Smith's run, with the ball first-and-10 at their own 32-yard line with 1:39 left. Kansas City moved into field goal position for Cairo Santos' 48-yard field goal.

"I don't believe I did, but the referee called it, so it is a face mask if he called it," Liuget said.

-- Cornerbacks Brandon Flowers (concussion) and Steve Williams (groin) left the game and did not return. With Jason Verrett (shoulder) already inactive, the Chargers finished the game with just three healthy corners.
Working...
X