Jamaal Charles again validates his place in Chiefs history

Jamaal Charles emerged from the Kansas City Chiefs' victorious locker room wearing a bow tie. It was a new look for Charles, but it was that kind of occasion.

The Chiefs had just beaten the San Diego Chargers 23-20, the first Kansas City win at Qualcomm Stadium in Charles' seven-year NFL career.

Charles also broke the Chiefs' career record for rushing yardage. He had 95 yards, giving him 6,113 for his career. Priest Holmes, who had 6,070 yards, held the old record.

"Everybody was talking about it but I wasn't even worried about the record," Charles said. "I just wanted to go out there and play football."

It was fitting that Charles broke the record on his second-quarter touchdown run. The 16-yard play was more the brilliant work of Charles, who weaved through the San Diego defense, than great work on the part of his blockers.

That's something that coach Andy Reid alluded to in his postgame remarks.

"Jamaal does it play after play," Reid said. "He makes things happen."

Charles had to survive a vicious helmet to helmet hit at the end of the play from a former teammate, Brandon Flowers, on the play. Charles survived the collision. Flowers received a concussion and was soon done for the game.

"It could have happened on another moment but it happened on a special moment," Charles said. "I wanted it. It was the will of me getting into the end zone. Nothing was going to stop me from getting into the end zone."

Charles acknowledged to being relieved at having the record. That's not because it was that important but because he won't have to answer questions about it anymore.

He also has bigger, if probably unobtainable, goals in mind.

"Now that it's over with, I can just go out and think about other records to break," he said. "It's great to be the leading rusher for an organization but you've got guys like Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith with 20,000 yards. That's something I wish to get to someday."

Charles is 77th on the NFL's all-time rushing list. Smith is the leader with 18,355 yards.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...chiefs-history

I hate that he's a Chief - and even despite that, I can't help but be a huge fan and admirer of his abilities etc.

... Plus growing up he was a Bronco fan
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese