Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Agreed with everything broncoslover115 wrote. I would only add that despite Peyton's well-documented post-season failings- he did scale the mountain in '06 (downing Brady in the process). Whatever anyone might write- it doesn't change the fact that he is a CHAMPION- and that can never be taken away from him (or anyone else that earns a ring)...

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with "who the best is" at some position. Comparisons depends too much on external factors (the team, scheme, coaches, and the generation they played in- I doubt some of the greats we talk about in the 1960s would make some teams nowadays).

I don't put a lot of stock in postseason records when comparing players, even QBs. No one compares left tackles or the strong safety and says "that guy has more rings." QB may be more of a demanding position, but I don't see why the point should be any different. If Manning played with Seattle's defense in previous years, I'm sure he has a few more rings on his resume. I'm sure if the combo was Bill Belichick and Peyton Manning for the last decade, he'd also probably have a few more rings, but we can't test these ideas too much. Brady is a great QB- when he drops back, he can execute as well as anyone in history. Manning is a different player- Brady will never have the command of pre-snap reads and call changes that has made Peyton so great. I find the latter style funner to watch, but no doubt Brady's ability to sit back calmly under pressure and deliver a perfect strike into coverage has led to some postseason success.

People like to romanticize things too much, especially how a player overcomes things well outside their control, or what the outcome of a "big game" was. I don't have a good answer for how one weights postseason success with consistent regular season surgical dominance. One matters more, the other lasts longer and is weighted more strongly in the stats column. All of these discussions ultimately don't come to disagreement over facts, but based on different (subjective) values for what makes a player "great" or better than someone else.

To broncoslover115 and Southern Bronco, I just wanted to thank you guys for the comments to my last post! It really meant a lot to me! I wish you guys only knew how much! Your words of encouragement have given me inspiration to stick up for myself more and get more involved in things that are really important to me! So thank you very much for that. Thank you guys so much again for the nice comments and words of encouragement. I only hope I can help out someone someday the way you guys have helped me! Thank you guys so much again! Here's to another great season next year for the Broncos! Hopefully Peyton will be there to lead them again! Thank you guys again!:-D

I'm a Pats fan, and I don't care whether people think Brady is the GOAT. He's not perfect - he's not the most talented in terms of arm strength, or foot-speed, or improvising. I just enjoy watching him play - he gets the most out of the talent he does have, and he makes the other players on offense around him look better.

I think a lot of the above applies to Manning, too. I don't think he's the GOAT, either - not sure that anyone is the GOAT. There are some players that dominate during their careers, though, and Brady and Manning have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by kotybug96 View Post
    To broncoslover115 and Southern Bronco, I just wanted to thank you guys for the comments to my last post! It really meant a lot to me! I wish you guys only knew how much! Your words of encouragement have given me inspiration to stick up for myself more and get more involved in things that are really important to me! So thank you very much for that. Thank you guys so much again for the nice comments and words of encouragement. I only hope I can help out someone someday the way you guys have helped me! Thank you guys so much again! Here's to another great season next year for the Broncos! Hopefully Peyton will be there to lead them again! Thank you guys again!:-D
    You are so welcome! I'm glad you came back and got a chance to read it. I didn't want you to leave here feeling bad. Walk tall, take in those characteristics of Manning that I spoke about, they will serve you well, and never, ever be afraid to speak your truth. As an 18 year old girl, you have an exciting future ahead of you.

Quote Originally Posted by kotybug96 View Post
    kotybug. No problem. You've chosen a great role model and champion in Peyton Manning. Continuing to implement everything you've learned from him in the real world means a heck of a lot more than anything that transpires on internet message boards. Just keep "livin' it" and to hell with anything else.

Manning will always have excuses made for him......

TL; DR

But what I did get from the title was

"Homina homina homina, yet another post season failure, but moral victory in having the best QB of all time !"

I wonder if the OP's response was directed toward one of my comments... I go on there and rip Manning all the time.

Manning should have tried some longer passes

Quote Originally Posted by LSIGRAD09 View Post
    I wonder if the OP's response was directed toward one of my comments... I go on there and rip Manning all the time.
    The OPer is an 18 year old girl who just wanted to share her feelings about Peyton's role in her life. It was her first time doing so and she felt somewhat ridiculed and hurt by some of the responses. Sometimes a little sensitivity and kindness is warranted.

There is on one G.O.A.T.

And it is not PFM.......

Elway is the G.O.A.T. and nobody will ever tell me otherwise.
    https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/s4pltBb35iBlrpYyfA6PTSXU4bI=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2924184/cj.0.gif WHEC-724

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    The OPer is an 18 year old girl who just wanted to share her feelings about Peyton's role in her life. It was her first time doing so and she felt somewhat ridiculed and hurt by some of the responses. Sometimes a little sensitivity and kindness is warranted.
    Wasn't bashing OP, was truly wondering if she saw any of mine! PFT can get pretty fiery.

Quote Originally Posted by LSIGRAD09 View Post
    Wasn't bashing OP, was truly wondering if she saw any of mine! PFT can get pretty fiery.
    Thanks for clarifying. I was feeling protective of her.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosFan1010 View Post
    Peyton Manning in my mind is the Greatest QB to ever play the game.

Super Bowl rings are "Team" accomplishments. There are so manny QBs that won multiple SB that will not even be mention in such a discussion.

Tell me if any of these QBs are even close to Manning when it comes to being greatest and they all won more SBs than Manning?

Terry Bradshaw (4 SB)
    Troy Aikman (3 SB)
    Bob Griesee (2 SB)
    Jim Plunkett (2 SB)
    Ben Roetlisberger (2 SB)
    Eli Manning (2 SB)
    Don't forget Bart Starr who won five championships, three consecutively, the first two Super Bowls and has the highest postseason QBR. He called his own plays.

Then, there's Otto Graham who played for ten years, was in the championship game every year and won seven of them. He has the highest ypa even when only his NFL years are included..

Greatest of all time needs to go back at least as far as Sammy Baugh in order to fit the definition.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus