Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What if Kubiak says "No"?

Happy 2015 everybody. And just like you I am once again at the edge of my seat for what appears to be another roller coaster of an off-season. Leave it to Elway and company to never leave us un-entertained. Now-

Elway is strung high on Kubiak, and it looks like he could very well be our next HC, especially with his recent acceptance of Elway's interview request.

Now in the event that this doesn't suit Kubiak (which is a very good possibility).. What options do we have?

I know people around here are drooling for Quinn, or Vic Vangio, I've even heard Shwartz and Bengals DB Coach Vance Joseph thrown about..

I once said before that the top candidate is likely Gase in the event that Manning decides to return. As shiny as these names may seem to glisten, not many teams really are interested. These guys seem to be better coordinators and not many are willing to take a gamble on an unproven. Elway wants to win a Championship and he wants a coach with that kind of experience.

So that brings my head to the question. What if Kubiak says No?

-------------------

In my opinion, this would be a very bad thing. Nobody else fits what Elway 'wants'. Those other guys are just names without much success. And we all know that we are in critical-to-win mode. Plan A. Not rebuild, but to win.

So what name does that leave. And in honest, with Elway's requirements: Championship experienced, hard nosed, and aggressive. Who fits the category. Before burning me at the stake, stop and think before reflex hating.. what about Mike Shanahan?

I know people around here are adamantly against. And I can see why. Shanny really should be done.. but look at the situation and what Elway wants. And above all what we currently have. A talented D and a run game.

Public. Your thoughts?

John Elway will say yes on behalf of Gary Kubiak and Kubiak will be the head coach😈😇
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

I just can't see Mike Shanahan going back to Denver. It was weird to hear that he talked to the Raiders.🙈🙉🙊

Not a fan of Shwartz at all.
    Not a fan of promoting a Dbacks coach straight to HC either so not a fan of Joseph

Quinn or Fangio would both be good choices imo, if we could get a good OC to go with them I think he could go very well but the big question there is who would by the OC that comes with them. I'm not a fan of a new Defensive HC and Gase as the OC at all. If we get one of them, imo Gase has to be replaced so the question would be with who.

I would absolutely love to have Shanny back. I saw picks of him and John talking at the combine so maybe hatchet is buried. Only thing is Shanny wouldn't have draft control with John here, which would probably be best thing for him and us, but not sure if he would accept this or not.
    If we could get Shanny as HC and then get Fangio or even Phillips as DC, I think we would have a great coaching staff. We would definitely come in prepared and be able to make adjustments imo and I definitely think the difference in attitude of team would show. I am a fan of this myself
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

--J.R.R. Tolkien

if he was going to say no, i dont think you would see all other candidates cancel interviews and look for other positions. I also dont think he would interview and decline the offer

I doubt Kubiak says no, too good of an opportunity to coach a team that is ready to win now, not later. Shanny Sr. will never coach in Denver again as he would never defer to Elway as GM. I could see Shanny Jr. as OC though. There are not a lot of other coaches with experience out there and if Kubiak says no we may see Gase, but I am sure Elway has thought this through and has ideas.

I think if he had intentions on saying no, he never would have accepted the interview.

As much as I would prefer Quinn to Kubiak, I think Kubiak is our HC, just waiting to go through the formality of making it official.
    Going on record saying I love our off season coaching hires.

If he were going to say no I don't think he would have taken the interview, especially in light of what he had said on record last Sunday. I think Austin and Marrone cancelled their interviews because they learned that Kubiak was the guy and/or he's putting together his staff behind the scenes. Also the fact that the Rooney rule interviewee has ties to Kubiak and is likely to be a person on Kubiak's staff points it in the direction of it being his job.

I think the only question on this point is the timing, with the games going tomorrow Elway (and the NFL) won't want to take away from that so if everything goes smoothly in the games tomorrow I think we'll see an announcement on Monday afternoon with a press conference Tuesday or Wednesday. If however there are questionable calls in either of the games tomorrow or any controversy whatsoever I think the NFL will get the Broncos to leak news of the hiring (or outright announce it) tomorrow evening to try and get focus off the controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsam View Post
    I think if he had intentions on saying no, he never would have accepted the interview.

As much as I would prefer Quinn to Kubiak, I think Kubiak is our HC, just waiting to go through the formality of making it official.
    I think Quinn has the Falcons job just about locked up. He supposedly made it known that that's the job he wants.

Plan "A" is Kubiak, There is no plan "B". Elway will talk Kubiak into it. After all is there anyone here that wouldn't jump through hoops for John Elway?

I was thinking about it today. Kubiak said he would stay with the Ravens. He did not say he would decline any interview going forward. See the difference? It is possible that Kubiak accepted an interview with the Broncos because of his friendship with Elway and long history with the franchise. I am expecting him to take the job, but I am not betting on it. The NFL is full of surprises.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Peyton will just have to deal with I mean he can't always audible away to what he wants to do ...

haha that kind of reminds me of Jim Carey in Ace venture "let's do all the things YOU WANNA DO" lol

I imagine Kubiak will take it, if offered. I'm not completely on board with the idea. I wanted Bowles, then Quinn, then Austin. But, we'll see what he can do.

Should it not happen, I'd like to see Elway steal Quinn from Atlanta or go back to Austin. If those fail, I'd like to see him pursue Chucky (maybe) and talk him out of his cushy job. Then Fangio, though I'm not a huge fan. Every choice is a risk, that's okay if it's a calculated, researched, and well thought-out risk. In many ways, if Kubiak/Quinn/Austin doesn't happen, I would mind if Elway slows way down, does a lot of research and then takes a big risk with someone completely new. Maybe try to convince Urban Meyer to make the jump to a super talented team and opportunity to compete, immediately, at the highest level of football. But, Urb might be too butt hurt about how Elway treated his boy Tebow.

Options that I'm completely uninterested in: Gase (I'd like him to move on entirely), Shanahan (Sr and Jr), Dungy, Cowher, Joseph. I don't hate Mike Shanahan but I think he has lost what ever magic he had. Kyle hasn't impressed me. Dungy equals soft (to me) and that's already Denver's biggest problem. Cowher, I'm just not that impressed with his history and not sure he could connect with today's players. I don't dislike any of these guys, I'm just not fans either.

I think his health issues hold him back

I feel he may take a lateral move as OC/ play call , with one of his friends as HC

or he becomes the HC with one of his friends as assistant HC-to insure continuity if kubiak god forbid takes deals with another health issue

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    John Elway will say yes on behalf of Gary Kubiak and Kubiak will be the head coach����
    Pretty much this...There is a reason that there is no plan B. Elway always gets what he wants. Plan A. is the plan, Kubiak will be the coach. Elway will use mind control if needed.