Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Seahawks (and OT rules) strike again

Obviously I’ve got a bad taste in my mouth from seeing Seattle headed to the Super Bowl again. (Though, the Patriots anti-fan in me will still have me rooting for them; unless, of course, a 0-0 tie were somehow possible.)

…But anyway, I was reminded yet again of the way we lost to them in Week 3, with Peyton not even getting to touch the ball in overtime. Same with Aaron Rodgers this past Sunday, even though I feel the Packers clearly deserved to win that game. (A friend of a friend summed up my feelings pretty well, saying the Seahawks as a team basically showed up for five minutes and won that game.)

Anyway, my question… How likely do you think it is we’ll see the NFL reexamine the current OT rules in this coming offseason?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They're your teammates, now.
    Best of luck, TT!
    ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Green Bay started "protecting" their lead RIGHT AFTER THE HALF! I swear I was looking for Fox on the sideline.

Back on topic, if you don't like overtime rules win in regulation, luck matters. I'm with you though. Go Pats!
    [

Or...you could say that the Packers could have closed the deal several times in that game and never did. If they were truly the better team, they would have scored TD's instead of FG's. If they were the better team, they would have taken a 12 point lead to victory with less than 3 minutes to go. They did not.

As far as the OT rules go. There will always be debate. But the rules were changed to make it more fair without greatly lengthening the game. As for Manning not getting the ball, or in this case Rogers. That's irrelevant. Both had the ball plenty of times during the 60 minutes of regulation play.

They had 4 or 5 turnovers gifted to them by the Seahawks. If they can't win with that kind of help, then they don't deserve it any more than the Seahawks do.
    This post may or may not have been written while under the influence of alcohol, and I disclaim all responsibility for its contents, herein...

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    Green Bay started "protecting" their lead RIGHT AFTER THE HALF! I swear I was looking for Fox on the sideline.

Back on topic, if you don't like overtime rules win in regulation, luck matters. I'm with you though. Go Pats!
    I agree that Green Bay thought they could coast in half 2. Did you hear the summary the side line reporter had with McCarthy? It was laughable you could tell he was going to whatever he could to not take chances he was planning his super bowl festivities already.

I hope they don't change the rules again, unless it's to go back like it was. I have zero sympathy for teams who lose in OT. Play defense! Shoot, make a great special teams play. As a team or player, just don't whine because the offense doesn't get a chance to touch the ball. This isn't peewee t-ball. Denver shouldn't have even been close, in game 3 this year, they were beat up the whole game. GB had a million chances on all sides of the team, including coaching, to win that game and they choked. And, I'm a Denver homer and wanted GB to win. Sometimes, a team doesn't deserve to win.

This new "Farve Rule" is bad enough. I was always a fan of sudden death from the coin toss. What's interesting is the percentages of who wins and who loses haven't changed that much at all. So the change proved to be pointless.

But with that said, I'm not opposed to the college rules for OT. They seem to have all the rules the NFl can't seem to ever figure out. Like PI being a 15yrd, not 15yrd from spot of foul but that's another gripe for another thread on another day.

Played 5 minutes to win? No. That was the point from yesterday's game-PLAY 60 minutes, no matter the current score, and then some if you have to to win. Seattle fought all game. They fought with a gutsy fake FG call. They fought to get GB to settle for FG's. They fought for the onside kick. They fought in OT. They fought on the 2 pt conversion. Seattle didn't just play for 5 minutes. They were either going to go out kicking and screaming or they were going to find a way to win. Sound familiar?

As for OT changes... I don't see the point to change it. GB was terrible in the 2nd half. They had 60+ minutes to win the game. Block that dying duck of a 2 pt conversion. Instead of worrying about the catching the onside just knock it out of bounds. But ultimately, they played not to lose! Their biggest sin, if you will, was they got away defensively from what got them their 16 point lead. They especially got away from it in OT. No press. No man to man. No bump and run. Worst of all they ditched a safety and got burned. Seattle got a little lucky but both teams in the SB do every year!

I can't even think about this SuperBowl: The Performance Enhancing Drug Users vs the NFL Rule Abusers. This is what the league has come down to. Quite sickening.

The Packers had to execute, handle the onside kick and knock down the pathetic 2 point conversion that Wilson tossed up and they win. You can't give the seahchickens any chance at their place. Rogers couldn't do anything but watch all of this and like Manning he never touched the ball. I dislike the Pats very much, but hope the seachickens get their tail feathers handed to them. If would be great if there was a way both teams could loose as they are both cocky and irritating.

Looks like I'm going against the grain. I despise the Patriots. Thus, even with what transpired last year and all the other hoopla, I would like the seachickens to win. I'm sick of Tom Brady and the Patriots. I hope they lose on February 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by sbutk View Post
    Obviously I’ve got a bad taste in my mouth from seeing Seattle headed to the Super Bowl again. (Though, the Patriots anti-fan in me will still have me rooting for them; unless, of course, a 0-0 tie were somehow possible.)

…But anyway, I was reminded yet again of the way we lost to them in Week 3, with Peyton not even getting to touch the ball in overtime. Same with Aaron Rodgers this past Sunday, even though I feel the Packers clearly deserved to win that game. (A friend of a friend summed up my feelings pretty well, saying the Seahawks as a team basically showed up for five minutes and won that game.)

Anyway, my question… How likely do you think it is we’ll see the NFL reexamine the current OT rules in this coming offseason?
    I can't possibly root for either team, I hate them both! Since both teams can't lose I just hope one of them gets embarrassed. Perhaps NE gets embarrassed on the field and then a week later Seattle is popped for multiple drug violations? Or Seattle is embarrassed on the field and then the Patriots are embroiled in another major cheating scandal?

Packers lost...they had the game won and played fox ball

It is the same with our game....we want to touch the ball ...hold them...we didnt...the packers didnt

Funny, but none of us were complaining about the overtime rules when Tebow hit DT to beat the Steelers 4 yrs ago
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers

All Bostick had to do was block so Nelson can feild the catch. And all Dix had to do was knock away that 2pt conversion. I can't believe the Seahawks won that game.

I do like the OT rules better than the old won. But I hope instead of winning the game with a TD, they give the other team a chance to score a TD, then sudden death starts.