Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 254
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    872
    i think elway, ellis, and kubiak know a lot more than any of us. Whatever they chose I will go with, instead of being an "arm-chair gm"

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,785
    Trent dilfer won a duper bowl so did brad johnson and eli manning won 2... i would take manning now over any of those at the time when they won.

    The difference is not that manning can't win a super bowl but rather now it can't all be about him now because of his age and declining ability.

    People are too quick to throw manning under the bus for this season when it fact the playoff loss falls on the shoulders of many people not just manning.

    Overall i think the problem was the coaching staff and not totally manning.

    In the end if manning comes back i will be happy to give him one more shot to win it all and if he decides to retire then i will be happy to move on.
    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,005
    ^ every throw gets harder in the playoffs and I think that gets amplified with Manning due to his career long noodle arm

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    2,113
    It's pretty consistent behavior that people build things up and have higher expectations than they should. PM coming here for a Superbowl was a long shot and I don't care who the coach was. We got pretty close and that was really the expectation we all should have had...we had a shot.

    Watching this chat board and again seeing guys gush about Kubiak in a presser! Going nuts about how much different Kubes is compared to Fox...still hung up on Fox and trying to solidify their obsession with Fox hate bay gushing over Kubiak like some kind of Belieber. I'm sure Kube's will be fine but he'll get a ton more leeway which he will need.

    If Peyton comes back he'll look fresh and good and then wear down and fade. He'll sadly go out worse than this year. Kube's has a built in excuse right there. If Peyton doesn't come back then I'm pretty excited. Not because I expect a good season but just to see what Kube's brings and how the O changes. That'll be fun to watch develop.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,005
    Quote Originally Posted by MHS View Post
    Trent dilfer won a duper bowl so did brad johnson and eli manning won 2... i would take manning now over any of those at the time when they won.

    The difference is not that manning can't win a super bowl but rather now it can't all be about him now because of his age and declining ability.

    People are too quick to throw manning under the bus for this season when it fact the playoff loss falls on the shoulders of many people not just manning.

    Overall i think the problem was the coaching staff and not totally manning.

    In the end if manning comes back i will be happy to give him one more shot to win it all and if he decides to retire then i will be happy to move on.
    You're missing the point...and today's game is also a bit different but at least those guys COULD possibly make all the throws....the D couldn't literally not worry about not protecting certain parts of the field

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anywhere I want on 18 wheels
    Posts
    8,444
    So who's going to be the head coach in 2016 then?
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
    ^ How do you figure any of that? I'm saying Manning can't throw anymore....you agree or you don't
    I disagree, an atrocious O-Line and injuries can affect a QB. Do you know how much they have to do?

    It's not as simple as throwing a ball. You have the initial play call, considerations for defensive adjustments, match ups to look at, audible options. Then you have to consider your own O-Line, who is lined up against who, considerations of injuries that may affect the O-Line, and what you can expect to come at you. Then you have to hike the ball, drop back, keep everything in mind, look at coverages, make reads, then launch the ball.

    Do you think it would be a smooth process for a QB that has anxiety about getting hit because their O-Line cant be strong enough to give him a good pocket? What about nagging injuries after he drops back?

    Last season was a disaster in terms of performance for the O-Line. And here we have a thread about whether Manning can still throw.

    I say "HELL YES"

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    5,756
    Peyton threw well all season, until a very abrupt shift late in the season when he was dealing with no less than two multiple injuries and a reshuffled o-line that wasn't getting it done. That's not a symptom of age.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Clinton, MD (via Wash., DC)
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I think if PM allows the run game to be the main focus on the offense and just pass when needed I think he can be one of the gears who wins a championship

    Yea his arm strength concerns me but PM does make some good deep throws. IMO he arm wears down after a long NFL season of throwing 40-50 passes every game. He needs to get down to 20-30 passes a game and rely on the run.

    IMO PM can win one just like how Elway did...feature the running game and make key passes when needed.

    Kubiak said he can make a playbook for PM and I believe him
    Big difference in that comparison is Elway was still mobile and could still get out of harms way...Manning can't and rarely ever could.

    Also Elway still had a rocket arm and still could make every throw at any time with zip and accuracy whether it be long, short, or intermediate...Manning can't.

    Manning is just a sitting duck with a weak arm...he's a liability to us now.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,005
    ^ And I say you're wrong...not to mention, you think he helps oline by being a total statue?

    You see his game sealing pick six in Cincy ....I've never seen such an awful throw...

    If we saw SEA again in SB with Manning two years older I don't even wanna know what it'd look like...he'd get ripped apart

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
    Big difference in that comparison is Elway was still mobile and could still get out of harms way...Manning can't and rarely ever could.

    Also Elway still had a rocket arm and still could make every throw at any time with zip and accuracy whether it be long, short, or intermediate...Manning can't.

    Manning is just a sitting duck with a weak arm...he's a liability to us now.
    Interesting how it's so clear to some but others refuse to see it...perfect summary

    An old man with a terrible arm who can't move??? I'll see what I have with Brock and if he doesn't work than on to the next one until we have our next REAL QB....who won't literally have no arm in the playoffs

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    2,113
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc0605 View Post
    Peyton threw well all season, until a very abrupt shift late in the season when he was dealing with no less than two multiple injuries and a reshuffled o-line that wasn't getting it done. That's not a symptom of age.
    It certainly could be...neither injury came on a hit. Both came when he had to move his feet. Let's just say if this happened to a young guy it's pretty much a fluke, but an older guy is a shift from less of a fluke and points more towards age.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,967
    It is a prophetic attempt to say " ... end of story." about a story that has yet to be told. Manning may announce his retirement in the next month. That would end the story. If he plays in 2015, the story has yet to end. "It ain't over 'til it's over." ~ Yogi Berra
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc0605 View Post
    Peyton threw well all season, until a very abrupt shift late in the season when he was dealing with no less than two multiple injuries and a reshuffled o-line that wasn't getting it done. That's not a symptom of age.
    Even last season, he was going through short stretches where he just looked old out there. It wasn't until the second half of this season that it was turning into a regular, every week thing. It's been building for awhile, and it's not likely to get any better next year.

    Also, once a quarterback starts playing out-of-his-mind scared, it's hard to pull them back from that brink. Manning is playing skittish and eratic even when he has plenty of time, now.
    This post may or may not have been written while under the influence of alcohol, and I disclaim all responsibility for its contents, herein...

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,785
    Quote Originally Posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
    You're missing the point...and today's game is also a bit different but at least those guys COULD possibly make all the throws....the D couldn't literally not worry about not protecting certain parts of the field
    More importantly all those teams had a dominating defense that showed up in the playoffs and its safe to say the broncos defense did not play with the passion and motivation it takes to win.
    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •