Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    I think Simmons said it best: Peyton can play championship football for 8-10 games a season now. But his body can't hold up for a 19 game season any more.

Kind of hoping he retires.
    Paying him a million bucks per game! Only worth it if there's a guaranteed Lombardi at the end. He needs to restructure and take a paycut if he returns.

But it's not fair to evaluate him on last season where he had a reshuffled line that couldn't pass protect, offense changed midseason, ridiculously early bye, and a nagging injury affecting performance at the end. If his performance had radically diminished without those problems, he'd need to retire now.

Quote Originally Posted by MH Stampede View Post
    Utterly ridiculous.

Especially the bolded.
    Yep.

Another person using the old choker line. People have bad playoff games. 9 one and dones does not mean Manning didn't do enough to win. Revisit some of those games and you'll have a different thought.

What is he supposed to say? That the rest of the team doesnt matter? That he wants Manning back? That he wants him gone?

If he didnt want Manning back, he wouldnt have stated so publicly he wanted him back. Instead, he would have said something like "we'll wait and see, its his decision", not "its his decision, but we really really want him back"

All too often people read things into snippets things that arent there.
    It's not a stretch to suggest that this has salary cap financial considerations written all over it, especially when it's Elway's job to consider such things.

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    Paying him a million bucks per game! Only worth it if there's a guaranteed Lombardi at the end. He needs to restructure and take a paycut if he returns.

But it's not fair to evaluate him on last season where he had a reshuffled line that couldn't pass protect, offense changed midseason, ridiculously early bye, and a nagging injury affecting performance at the end. If his performance had radically diminished without those problems, he'd need to retire now.
    Not saying that O-line was the best, but they still gave up the least amount of sacks in the league. That's with a QB that when he does see pressure coming will more often than not just fall down. It could be argued Manning is the toughest QB in the league to block for because rushers don't have to worry about him moving so it's easy to tee off on him. No line is perfect but ours has to be to create the most ideal situation for Peyton to be effective.

What is he supposed to say? That the rest of the team doesnt matter? That he wants Manning back? That he wants him gone?

If he didnt want Manning back, he wouldnt have stated so publicly he wanted him back. Instead, he would have said something like "we'll wait and see, its his decision", not "its his decision, but we really really want him back"

All too often people read things into snippets things that arent there.
    Probably wishful thinking on their part, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    The problem with your statement is that this isn't an old team, the Broncos were the 12th youngest team in the league at the start of the season, they have only 5 players over the age of 30 currently on the roster (Welker, Ramirez, Montgomery, Manning, and Ware).

By my count 33 of the 53 players on the roster at the end of the year were either drafted (or undrafted) by the Broncos, which means the majority of the team has been a Bronco since their rookie year.

This is a far cry from previous years, where around half the team was over 30. There was also a point that after like 6 years of drafts, DJ Williams was the only drafted player still on the roster.
    True, we could've got even older. I am curious, though, if one of the local cap experts around here could point out something for me...?

What percentage of our team money is tied up in Manning, Ware, Welker, and Talib? I assume it would be an abnormally high number, but maybe I'm mistaken.
    This post may or may not have been written while under the influence of alcohol, and I disclaim all responsibility for its contents, herein...

Quote Originally Posted by MegaOrange View Post
    Not saying that O-line was the best, but they still gave up the least amount of sacks in the league. That's with a QB that when he does see pressure coming will more often than not just fall down. It could be argued Manning is the toughest QB in the league to block for because rushers don't have to worry about him moving so it's easy to tee off on him. No line is perfect but ours has to be to create the most ideal situation for Peyton to be effective.
    PM doesn't drop to the ground all the time like Orton, and the guy even threw a block for a runner last season! You know darn well that sack stat has little to do with the reality of the situation. Game after game we complained here about the pressure getting to Manning because the O-line wasn't functioning and even "studs" like Clady were getting consistently beat!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaOrange View Post
    The reason Manning doesn't get sacked very often is he gets rid of the ball faster than just about all QB's in the league.

If he is getting sacked it is because of the line not giving him 2 seconds to throw the ball, just like the strip sack in the last game where our Pro Bowl LT didn't lay a finger on the pass rusher. How many times this year did we see our RT, Franklin or ManRam not touch a pass rusher that took a full speed hit on Manning. Even if he did get rid of the ball he was still getting obliterated back there after he threw the ball because of the piss poor protection of our crappy o-line.

How many of those MENTAL mistakes or poorly coached mistakes are we supposed to tolerate? Yes Manning stands in the pocket but he does get rid of the ball extremely quick so I do not think the problem is Manning standing in the pocket.

You think Elway was happy with our o-line coach MAGOO since he obviously told him to hit the road. Or how about offensive coordinator that can't find a job now.

I think there is plenty of blame to go around and I am tired of hearing how it was all Manning's fault. Look at the big picture and evaluate this failure as the "Team Failure" it was from the piss poor coaching to the piss poor player execution. The offense failed as a group, END of Story.

Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomo 2000 View Post
    True, we could've got even older. I am curious, though, if one of the local cap experts around here could point out something for me...?

What percentage of our team money is tied up in Manning, Ware, Welker, and Talib? I assume it would be an abnormally high number, but maybe I'm mistaken.
    According to overthecap.com, $37 million will be the cap hit next year for Manning ($21.5 mil), Ware ($8.6 mil), and Talib ($7 mil), Welker of course is a FA. That totals 26% of the estimated $142 million cap.

By comparison, the Patriots will have $39 million tied up in Brady and Revis (I believe that number includes Brady restructuring as well).

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    PM doesn't drop to the ground all the time like Orton,

There ain't nothing wrong with Mannings arm, geeeeeeeeze!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mora View Post
    Wow, You found one play out of how many plays Manning has been involved in? Yes I know there are more where he has gone down but he was no where near as bad as Orton when it comes to going into the fetal position.

Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mora View Post
    Manning will go down rather that take a hit, its the reason he started 227 consecutive games. He knows he's more valuable to the team healthy rather than injured. A lot of people don't like it, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by one_bad_55 View Post
    Wow, You found one play out of how many plays Manning has been involved in? Yes I know there are more where he has gone down but he was no where near as bad as Orton when it comes to going into the fetal position.
    What do you mean not as bad? He was going to score a touchdown. But he was so fearful of getting hurt. That kind of thing does the exact opposite of inspiring teammates. That was downright embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    Manning will go down rather that take a hit, its the reason he started 227 consecutive games. He knows he's more valuable to the healthy than injured. A lot of people don't like it, but it is what it is.
    Teammates don't respond well to that though. They respond to courage and toughness. They are not inspired by guys that lay down. Make a statement and put the nail in the coffin for crying out loud. Like I said, that's embarrassing.