Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 139

Thread: 3-4

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    160

    3-4

    The thought of hiring Wade Phillips and switching to a 3-4 really excites me. Based on last years roster, it would look something like this..

    DE - Malik Jackson
    NT - Terrance Knighton
    DE - Derek Wolfe/Sly Williams
    OLB - Von Miller
    ILB - Brandom Marshall
    ILB - Danny Trevethan
    OLB - DeMarcus Ware
    CB - Aqib Talib
    CB - Chris Harris
    NB - Bradley Roby
    SS - TJ Ward
    FS - Rahim Moore

    Obviously we don't know the future of BMarsh, TK and Rahim. But it sounds like Marshall and TK want to be here and I think we need to move on from Rahim. We have money and I don't see us resigning JT so we should use some of that to find a real ball hawk like Devin McCourty. So many players would be in their "natural positions". Von, Ware, Wolfe and Malik would all benefit from this. I also think the pairing of Marshall and trevethan would be perfect. They're both fast and have range to play inside of a 3-4.

    Thoughts??

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by DBkaeoz33 View Post
    The thought of hiring Wade Phillips and switching to a 3-4 really excites me. Based on last years roster, it would look something like this..

    DE - Malik Jackson
    NT - Terrance Knighton
    DE - Derek Wolfe/Sly Williams
    OLB - Von Miller
    ILB - Brandom Marshall
    ILB - Danny Trevethan
    OLB - DeMarcus Ware
    CB - Aqib Talib
    CB - Chris Harris
    NB - Bradley Roby
    SS - TJ Ward
    FS - Rahim Moore

    Obviously we don't know the future of BMarsh, TK and Rahim. But it sounds like Marshall and TK want to be here and I think we need to move on from Rahim. We have money and I don't see us resigning JT so we should use some of that to find a real ball hawk like Devin McCourty. So many players would be in their "natural positions". Von, Ware, Wolfe and Malik would all benefit from this. I also think the pairing of Marshall and trevethan would be perfect. They're both fast and have range to play inside of a 3-4.

    Thoughts??
    Demarcus Ware will be exposed at linebacker, outside or inside. Hes too old and too slow and will be caught in space in pass coverage. The way our linebackers deteriorated and disappeared last season, the 3-4 should be the last option of defense we should be considering. And to be honest with you guys, Danny Trevathan may never be the same. Not a fan of Wade Phillips at all. There has to be a better D coordinator out there somewhere Mr. Elway. Im with you as far as the Kubiak hire is concerned but Phillips and the 3-4 is not going to get it done. If this is the route we are going I am not excited about the defense at all.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    14,506
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    Demarcus Ware will be exposed at linebacker, outside or inside. Hes too old and too slow and will be caught in space in pass coverage. The way our linebackers deteriorated and disappeared last season, the 3-4 should be the last option of defense we should be considering. And to be honest with you guys, Danny Trevathan may never be the same. Not a fan of Wade Phillips at all. There has to be a better D coordinator out there somewhere Mr. Elway. Im with you as far as the Kubiak hire is concerned but Phillips and the 3-4 is not going to get it done. If this is the route we are going I am not excited about the defense at all.
    Ware played in a 3-4 in Dallas before he came here

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    14,506
    The main issue with the 3-4 is the depth behind us, followed by players being able to handle the switch. Yes, The initial starting line-up looks solid, but there's not much depth.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Ware played in a 3-4 in Dallas before he came here
    He did play in the 3-4 and that's why the cowboys let him walk. Hes not efficient standing up. Ware needs his hand in the ground and coming off the line. Ware will be exposed at linebacker if they are going to this defense, mark my words.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    14,506
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    He did play in the 3-4 and that's why the cowboys let him walk. Hes not efficient standing up. Ware needs his hand in the ground and coming off the line. Ware will be exposed at linebacker if they are going to this defense, mark my words.
    His cap hit, Followed by his injury, and their desire for a youth movement was the reason.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,093
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    He did play in the 3-4 and that's why the cowboys let him walk. Hes not efficient standing up. Ware needs his hand in the ground and coming off the line. Ware will be exposed at linebacker if they are going to this defense, mark my words.

    Completely wrong, the guy above me set you straight on this statement.

    And Ware was the lone bright spot on Defense in Dallas in 2013, even with a injury.

    He will be fine in the 3-4

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    His cap hit, Followed by his injury, and their desire for a youth movement was the reason.
    There was more involved than a cap hit and injuries. The guy wasn't making any plays in that position. Demarcus Ware is not suited or have the athletic skill to thrive at the linebacker position. Thats not what he is anymore, especially at his age.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,791
    I don't see Knighton staying. Who would be the NT? You need a good NT to have a successful 34.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    Posts
    388
    Im not a big fan of changing things up for a really good defense when we only have a year or two left with Peyton. I dont want to take even a slight step back. Then again that could happen with the new coaches coming in so who knows.
    Kyle: Dude! I almost thought those Afghani kids talked you into not liking America.
    Stan: No, dude. America may have some problems, but it's our home. Our team. And if you don't wanna root for your team, then you should get the hell out of the stadium.
    Kyle: Yeah.
    Stan:<salutes the American flag> Go America.
    Kyle:<salutes> Go America...

    Kyle: Go Broncos.
    Stan: Yeah, go Broncos.
    Cartman: Yeah.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    46
    Dallas was a 43 defense last couple of yrs so ware was not a line backer..

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,068
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Ware played in a 3-4 in Dallas before he came here
    Not to mention 34 olbs rarely drop in coverage. Ware probably dropped back in coverage more this year than he ever did in dallas

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,068
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    There was more involved than a cap hit and injuries. The guy wasn't making any plays in that position. Demarcus Ware is not suited or have the athletic skill to thrive at the linebacker position. Thats not what he is anymore, especially at his age.
    His last year there was his first in the 43. They didn't believe he fit in a 43 defense. Outside linebacker in a 34 are pass rushers. Ware doesn't need great athleticism anyway (even though he's still our 2nd most athletic pass rusher), his technique with his hands is impeccable. And he's good at stringing different moves together. Ware was a huge reason why offenses would get rid of the ball quick.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12,781
    Everytime the 3-4 is brought up the negative nancies come out fast

    IMO both Ware and Miller would have much better years in a traditional 3-4

    Also we play allot of hyrbid defense stuff so switching to a 3-4 would not be as hard as some less researched fans would think. From what I have read JDRs DL do similiar things asked of 3-4 DL...eat up blockers and allow LBs to make plays...yea I know it is different doing it with 3 DL then 4 DL

    It would take time to get the right guys to be an elite defense no doubt about it

    Quote Originally Posted by broncojav82 View Post
    Dallas was a 43 defense last couple of yrs so ware was not a line backer..
    From my limited research he played 2007-2012 as a OLB and was usually rated top 3 at the position...top 10 in 2012.

    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Not to mention 34 olbs rarely drop in coverage. Ware probably dropped back in coverage more this year than he ever did in dallas
    The last year he played 3-4 in Dallas, 2012, he dropped back 42-63 times (depending on what resource looked at) and rushed the passer 482 times.

    The stats are not the same for a DE but he did not go into coverage as much as you would think in 2014...I think we all remember it because of WHEN it happened
    Last edited by Hadez; 01-23-2015 at 09:16 AM.
    Vic Fangio "Von Miller can play better than he has ever played in his career"
    Preventing Death by Inches

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,068
    Quote Originally Posted by broncojav82 View Post
    Dallas was a 43 defense last couple of yrs so ware was not a line backer..
    Only his last season there. Last time he played 34 he had 11.5 sacks despite tearing his hamstring in training camp, a fractures wrist, and a hyperextended elbow. He was playing on one leg and one arm the majority of the season and still had more sacks than he did in the 43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •