Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bill Romanowskis take......

Had a chance to watch and listen to the Sports Show on the Denver Post this morning and they had Bill Romanowski as a guest speaker on the show. Romo states that he doesn't think that Peyton and coach Kubes are going to be able to co exist. That Peyton will be unable to run the west coast offense which require roll outs and boots. That although that offense can be ran from the gun it wont be effective with Manning. He also mentioned something very interesting to me. He stated that no matter how good John Elway was, Mike Shanahan was the leader of the football team and called the shots on offense before Elway. He mentioned that when he played his years in San Fran with Joe Montana it was clear that Bill Walsh was the shot caller on offense. The point made was that even though these are hall of fame quarterbacks, they were willing to take the back seat and allow the head coach/offensive coordinators make the call in critical moments of games. The "19 million dollar question" (as they called it) is will Peyton Manning be able to swallow his pride, take some advice, and allow the coach/coaches to be the boss for a change? I mean lets all be honest, Adam Gase was respected as the OC here but who do you really think ran the show? The Sheriff.

Romo also went on to comment about the transition to the 3-4 defense. He thinks that although we have the players to fit that scheme-and get this to those who disagreed with me in one of the most recent posts out there titled "3-4- DEMARCUS WARE WILL BE A LIABILITY AT OUTSIDE LINEBACKER. Romo stated that the thought of Ware dropping back in coverage would not be to the defenses advantage.

Anyway, thought it was good to hear from Romo being that he was a pretty big part of our super bowl run. He mentioned that had he been able to execute 2 sacks on Brunell that he eventually whiffed on, we should have won 3 super bowl titles in a row.
    Last edited by JHoward; 01-28-2015 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    Had a chance to watch and listen to the Sports Show on the Denver Post this morning and they had Bill Romanowski as a guest speaker on the show. Romo states that he doesn't think that Peyton and coach Kubes are going to be able to co exist. That Peyton will be unable to run the west coast offense which require roll outs and boots. That although that offense can be ran from the gun it wont be effective with Manning. He also mentioned something very interesting to me. He stated that no matter how good John Elway was, Mike Shanahan was the leader of the football team and called the shots on offense before Elway. He mentioned that when he played his years in San Fran with Joe Montana it was clear that Bill Walsh was the shot caller on offense. The point made was that even though these are hall of fame quarterbacks, they were willing to take the back seat and allow the head coach/offensive coordinators make the call in critical moments of games. The "19 million dollar question" (as they called it) is will Peyton Manning be able to swallow his pride, take some advice, and allow the coach/coaches to be the boss for a change? I mean lets all be honest, Adam Gase was respected as the OC here but who do you really think ran the show? The Sheriff.

Romo also went on to comment about the transition to the 3-4 defense. He thinks that although we have the players to fit that scheme-and get this to those who disagreed with me in one of the most recent posts out there titled "3-4- DEMARCUS WARE WILL BE A LIABILITY AT OUTSIDE LINEBACKER. Romo stated that the thought of Ware dropping back in coverage would not be to the defenses advantage.

Anyway, thought it was good to hear from Romo being that he was a pretty big part of our super bowl run. He mentioned that had he been able to execute 2 sacks on Brunell that he eventually whiffed on, we should have won 3 super bowl titles in a row.
    Those are interesting points from Romo, but I think I will trust Kubiak when he says that a good coach learns to create schemes that utilizes the strengths of the players on the team.

And with all due respect to Romo, but what kind of news flash is it to anyone that Shanahan was the leader of the team and that he and Kubiak called the plays for Elway? No duh! Like they say on the Geico commercials... everybody knows that. If I remember correctly, they didn't just make the calls in critical times of the game, they made all the calls.

So, what the point really is here is not whether Shanahan and Kubiak called the plays for Elway, but rather will Peyton stop being his selfish self and be coachable, right? And I for one get really tired of this narrative. I don't think there is a player who is more willing to learn about football, who wants to win, and who would love to be coached than Manning.

Now I know that flies in the face of what some of our Bronco fans and a Colt fan who loves to hang around here and bash Manning every chance he gets would say. But, I believe that if he had a coach to teach him new concepts, that would teach him different plays, that would teach him how our team could be effective in the run game, he would do it. Jeez, he was willing to run the ball the entire second half of the season.

Manning is a student of the game. If given a coach that knows what the hell he is doing, I'm sure he would do it. And I'm sure that he and Kubiak have already spoken about what the offense would look like, what his role would be in that offense and that it most likely has factored in to his decision to come back. While that decision hasn't officially been stated, we know he's coming back. If he wasn't willing to "give up the reins" or was unwilling to "take a back seat" he wouldn't come back.
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 01-28-2015 at 08:23 AM.

There is more to the WCO than boots and rollouts. It can be run without using them so much.

WCO uses a lot of formations with very specific playcalls. They are extremely wordy because they give the formation, shifts, motion, where each eligible receiver lines up and which route they run if it's a pass. It doesn't seem to lend itself to being called at LOS.

Then there is the script. WCO scripts about 20 plays. IDK how Manning would feel about 25-30% of the plays being set before the game starts. The script is used to gather information on the defense which determines playcalling for the rest of the game as well.

It will be interesting to see what Kubiak, Dennison and Manning come up with. If Manning continues to run no huddle in whatever system Kubiak concocts, one might reasonably suspect that the specific nature of the WCO to be simplified and adapted.

Kubiak has already stated that the rushing attack will include zone steps and angle blocking. Rushing from under center formations can help on PAP because the meshpoint is more concealed than in gun. It is also necessary for boot which is an integral part of Alex Gibbs Zone Series.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    There is more to the WCO than boots and rollouts. It can be run without using them so much.

WCO uses a lot of formations with very specific playcalls. They are extremely wordy because they give the formation, shifts, motion, where each eligible receiver lines up and which route they run if it's a pass. It doesn't seem to lend itself to being called at LOS.

Then there is the script. WCO scripts about 20 plays. IDK how Manning would feel about 25-30% of the plays being set before the game starts. The script is used to gather information on the defense which determines playcalling for the rest of the game as well.

It will be interesting to see what Kubiak, Dennison and Manning come up with. If Manning continues to run no huddle in whatever system Kubiak concocts, one might reasonably suspect that the specific nature of the WCO to be simplified and adapted.

Kubiak has already stated that the rushing attack will include zone steps and angle blocking. Rushing from under center formations can help on PAP because the meshpoint is more concealed than in gun. It is also necessary for boot which is an integral part of Alex Gibbs Zone Series.
    I always learn so much from you Sam. Thanks for this.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Let's remember that Matt Schaub was QB for Kubiak for a number of years. Schaub was hardly the second-coming of Michael Vick.

Also, Brian Griese was drafted by Shanahan to play in the WCO.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Let's remember that Matt Schaub was QB for Kubiak for a number of years. Schaub was hardly the second-coming of Michael Vick.

Also, Brian Griese was drafted by Shanahan to play in the WCO.
    Yeah but they both could run boots and roll-outs with ease...Manning looks like he has difficulty just running on the field from the locker room. Both their arms were stronger than Mannings also, especially Schaub's, so throwing bombs down field weren't a problem for them either. Manning would have to reset his feet and plant to get the ball down field and I just don't see any of that happening...he'd probably pull a hamstring, get sacked a quarter of the way through the boot or roll-out or just fold up like a lawn chair to avoid getting caught from behind.
    Last edited by Mel B.; 01-28-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Of course ware would struggle in coverage, so would McCray, smith, and Von. How often did wade drop ware in coverage in Dallas? 50-60 times a season, that's 3 or 4 plays a game where he's likely just covering the flat (minimal gain) or dropping back to disrupt a slant route. He isn't manning up any tes or rbs coming out of the backfield. Fact is, he's going to play about 800 snaps give or take and of those snaps less than 1/8th will be coverage snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Those are interesting points from Romo, but I think I will trust Kubiak when he says that a good coach learns to create schemes that utilizes the strengths of the players on the team.

And with all due respect to Romo, but what kind of news flash is it to anyone that Shanahan was the leader of the team and that he and Kubiak called the plays for Elway? No duh! Like they say on the Geico commercials... everybody knows that. If I remember correctly, they didn't just make the calls in critical times of the game, they made all the calls.

So, what the point really is here is not whether Shanahan and Kubiak called the plays for Elway, but rather will Peyton stop being his selfish self and be coachable, right? And I for one get really tired of this narrative. I don't think there is a player who is more willing to learn about football, who wants to win, and who would love to be coached than Manning.

Now I know that flies in the face of what some of our Bronco fans and a Colt fan who loves to hang around here and bash Manning every chance he gets would say. But, I believe that if he had a coach to teach him new concepts, that would teach him different plays, that would teach him how our team could be effective in the run game, he would do it. Jeez, he was willing to run the ball the entire second half of the season.

Manning is a student of the game. If given a coach that knows what the hell he is doing, I'm sure he would do it. And I'm sure that he and Kubiak have already spoken about what the offense would look like, what his role would be in that offense and that it most likely has factored in to his decision to come back. While that decision hasn't officially been stated, we know he's coming back. If he wasn't willing to "give up the reins" or was unwilling to "take a back seat" he wouldn't come back.

Best line there.

Keep in mind, Peyton Manning is the epitome of wisdom at the Quarterback position. Best arm? Best legs? Best accuracy? Best form? Most well spoken? The rest can be debated. But nobody can deny that when it comes to playing the game like a chess board, Peyton takes home the gold every time.

Why is it so selfish to believe that he knew John Fox wasn't going to win them a football game? I don't think that's selfish, I believe a lot of his calls were because of that. Did he execute in return? Obviously not. But you can't blame the guy for trying, I mean heck. I understand the difference in couch coaching and real coaching but half the time it was blatantly obvious that Fox is too easily out-coached in this generation of football.

No disrespect to Fox in any way, but his Division titles and Superbowl appearance can be entitled to the quality of team talent on the roster. I think any coach can coach here right now. Rex Ryan would have been a heck of a choice if the timing was right. I think Kubes will do great.

Again I could be wrong. Kubes may also be out of his league in this new generation of football. I would assume not considering his experience with Harbaugh, and Flacco.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
    Yeah but they both could run boots and roll-outs with ease...Manning looks like he has difficulty just running on the field from the locker room. Both their arms were stronger than Mannings also, especially Schaub's, so throwing bombs down field weren't a problem for them either. Manning would have to reset his feet and plant to get the ball down field and I just don't see any of that happening...he'd probably pull a hamstring, get sacked a quarter of the way through the boot or roll-out or just fold up like a lawn chair to avoid getting caught from behind.
    I disagree about Griese's arm strength, especially when he had to move his feet. Saying he could do it with "ease" isn't accurate, IMO. There's a reason the Denver pressed called him "Dink".

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    I disagree about Griese's arm strength, especially when he had to move his feet. Saying he could do it with "ease" isn't accurate, IMO. There's a reason the Denver pressed called him "Dink".
    As far as 'with ease', I was speaking about the 'running' portion of the roll-out and bootlegs with that statement. They could actually 'run with ease' when running a roll-out or bootleg. Even in Manning's younger days I don't think he could do the 'running' part with ease let alone present-day Manning.

Also, after Romo said all those things he was asked if the Broncos would be better with Brock or Manning, Romo said "Manning".

I think Romo has a point. And it's the same point we've all been hashing out around here since Fox was let go and Koobs was hoped to become.

Basically, he said the cutback zoneblocking running game can be modified to the shotgun game. That pretty is going to happen. Question is, will Manning be able to boot or not. Even if he can he's not too much of a threat to run for one thing so it loses some of it's bite right off the bat. But that's not it's main purpose.

Having said all this, I still believe Kubiak is the right HC to hire. Timing a HC hire in the NFL is everything. To be able to have the right guy for the job to be available when the job is open is a matter of luck in the first place. The timing didn't line up perfectly. But it wasn't worth waiting any longer after what we saw in the Indy game and that's why Fox is gone and Kubiak moved in here before Manning is done. In a perfect world, John Fox and Manning win the Super Bowl then Manning and Fox retire or move on together and that same season, Kubiak is available for hire. But Fox failed too Foxly to wait any longer. The Kubiak hire isn't a 'Win Now' hire. Like Elway likes to say it's a 'Win Now On' hire.

Even if Manning doesn't end up booting and we run the Manning passing game with the zone-blocking running game, it's still an improvement in my opinion. Not to mention having a HC that isn't scared to take some chances when he's feeling like it's the right move will help this team. So yes, Romo might have a legit point, but I'm still 100% confident in this hire. Manning will not last too much longer. If Manning can last 2-3 more years, which it doesn't like he can based on last season, Kubiak will have found the tweaks needed to make it happen. IF this is the farewell tour for Manning this season, then Kubiak will already be in place for the next era of the Denver Broncos. Just getting the right guy at the top is a big deal.

So it's not a match made in heaven on paper for 1 season maybe 2. But was Fox? Not if we're in it to win it all. Sorry Fox, but you did have your chance. I don't feel too badly for Fox. He's really good at not feeling bad anyhow. So he'll be fine.

By locking down Kubiak now, there is no risk of losing him next season or whenever Fox and Manning were to be done. And we all know Kubiak was getting rave reviews for his job in Baltimore.
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Romo has brain damage from too much steroid use. Kubiak will make it work with the players he has on the team. A good coach will mold his systems based on the players abilities and not try and force the players to change what they are good at like our last coaching staff.

Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Great points and good read.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich