Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tim Hasselbeck on D&C: Peyton Manning still greatest QB of all time

-Tim Hasselbeck on D&C: Peyton Manning still greatest QB of all time

"ESPN’s Tim Hasselbeck checked in with Dennis & Callahan on Monday morning to give his take on Tom Brady and the Super Bowl. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.

The Tom Brady-Peyton Manning debate arguably was settled Sunday evening when Brady picked up his fourth Super Bowl win. For Hasselbeck, though, the better quarterback doesn’t necessarily come down to who’s won the most championships.

When asked in a previous interview whose career he would rather have, Hasselbeck picked Manning over Brady, citing the way Manning changed the game offensively as his reasoning and noting that you can’t use postseason success as a measuring stick for a career. He defended that answer Monday.

“As somebody who played at the quarterback position in the NFL, at a time that both of those guys were playing, nobody’s changed the game more than Peyton Manning or changed the way that that position is played more than Peyton Manning,” he said. “And from my experience as a quarterback in the NFL, that’s a fact. Also what I said was when you look at wins and losses, especially in the postseason, there are so many other factors that dictate who wins and loses the game. It’s such a team environment, so … I just don’t think it does the careers justice for any of these quarterbacks to try to narrow it down to just what happens in these postseason games.” ...

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/...l-not-settled/

I don't understand how Manning changed the way the QB position is played........

I dont understand how any player would choose 1 championship over 4...
    Kyle: Dude! I almost thought those Afghani kids talked you into not liking America.
    Stan: No, dude. America may have some problems, but it's our home. Our team. And if you don't wanna root for your team, then you should get the hell out of the stadium.
    Kyle: Yeah.
    Stan:<salutes the American flag> Go America.
    Kyle:<salutes> Go America...

Kyle: Go Broncos.
    Stan: Yeah, go Broncos.
    Cartman: Yeah.

TH nuff said
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

― Mark Twain

Let's say Peyton did change the game. But how does "changed the way the position is played" = the greatest of all time?
    That makes no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I don't understand how Manning changed the way the QB position is played........
    I ask the same question. Immobile, very cerebral, etc...... Sounds like Dan Marino. But what do I know?

TBH I don't see how Manning can be in the conversation now Brady has his 4th SB and more important then the rings its the was he has consistently played well in the big games.

The one point I would make is that Brady has had far more help and complete teams through his career..... along with BB as a coach..... whereas Manning generally has to carry a team and it doesn't look like Indy have learned that doesn't work because Luck has the same burden

Manning vs Brady debates will fall upon deaf ears now, it seems. I know I don't have the energy any more

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Diana View Post
    -
    The Tom Brady-Peyton Manning debate arguably was settled Sunday evening when Brady picked up his fourth Super Bowl win. For Hasselbeck, though, the better quarterback doesn’t necessarily come down to who’s won the most championships.

When asked in a previous interview whose career he would rather have, Hasselbeck picked Manning over Brady, citing the way Manning changed the game offensively as his reasoning and noting that you can’t use postseason success as a measuring stick for a career. He defended that answer Monday.
    What I agree with out of this statement is that I believe a career should not based off postseason success. There are other players on the field too. All do a job to help there team win. Yet, the quarterback is given all the credit. I don't see a quarterback out there making tackles or getting interceptions. This is a team sport, QBs get to much credit.

Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾
    Personally, I don't really care about the greatest qb argument, but for those who think championships matter in determining if one quarterback is better than another, ask yourself this, is Rob Johnson or Trent Dilfer better than Dan Marino?

If you think one is or both are better, what the hell are you smoking?
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.

Quote Originally Posted by DN1218 View Post
    What I agree with out of this statement is that I believe a career should not based off postseason success. There are other players on the field too. All do a job to help there team win. Yet, the quarterback is given all the credit. I don't see a quarterback out there making tackles or getting interceptions. This is a team sport, QBs get to much credit.
    Sammy Baugh did; he punted, too.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Sammy Baugh did; he punted, too.
    The argument with older QB's and people who mention Otto Graham's amount of championships is in those days I highly doubt the standard was anywhere near it is now and a few teams where probably miles ahead of anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    The argument with older QB's and people who mention Otto Graham's amount of championships is in those days I highly doubt the standard was anywhere near it is now and a few teams where probably miles ahead of anyone else
    Well, the title of the thread says, " ... greatest QB of all time ... "

In view of that, one may reasonably ask what it means.

Is it the NFL and all the leagues absorbed by it?

If so, it definitely includes Baugh, Luckman, Graham et al.

If not, you will need to do a better job of defining terms.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Tim Hasselbeck makes a great argument.

I too don't really care who's the best ever.

Brady almost lost that game the other night to be honest.
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Tim Hasselbeck makes a great argument.

I too don't really care who's the best ever.

Brady almost lost that game the other night to be honest.

I agree with you 100%.

What difference does it make who
    is the "best" QB of all time?

It's all subjective and most fans let
    their biases and fandom get in the way
    of their thinking.

Talk about first world problems!