Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Report: Broncos may not want Manning back

From Rotoworld:

Citing "sources close to the team," Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports there's a "big question" about whether the Broncos want to bring back Peyton Manning for 2015.
    "At this point in his career, the Broncos could fail (Manning's physical) for any reason, including the four neck surgeries that he has already had," Cole said. "They're going to have to feel very comfortable about this." Manning's $19 million salary will no longer be guaranteed if he fails his physical. While Manning's health was an issue late in 2014, we find this report very had to believe. Until now, every utterance — both public and "sourced" — has suggested Denver desperately wants Manning back. Perhaps this is just a ploy to speed up Manning's decision. Manning will reportedly meet with GM John Elway before the Combine. Feb 10 - 4:25 PM

I also think this is a little hard to believe. On some level there will be concern about Manning's ability to stay healthy, and that's nothing to sneeze at given his high cap hit, but if he shows his body can take another year then I don't think we would try to fail his physical just to save cap space.

I think the better question is do we want Manning playing in December?

If we have a wild card spot wrapped up with 4 weeks to go I honestly would prefer to start Os the last month and let Manning get fresh for the playoffs. Elway missed a few games in 98. Manning is going to be 39 and he's no Brett Favre physically. I think it's something that should be seriously considered.

I thought that the opt-out clauses were only related to his neck, or nerve regeneration issues...

Can we really just cut ties for "acute case of old'ness"?

Wow...Oz better man-up real fast if this is the case.

Time for a trip through the wonderful land of Oz! :crazy:

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_20213659/peyton-mannings-deal-broncos-5-years-96-million

Derp. I forgot that '15 and '16 simply weren't guaranteed. So... unlike what this article implies, it seems that they could just cut him if they felt like it, before the deadline. Physical doesn't even matter, really.

By the way... do teams ever have to pay injury settlements, based on off-season physicals?
    This post may or may not have been written while under the influence of alcohol, and I disclaim all responsibility for its contents, herein...

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomo 2000 View Post
    http://www.denverpost.com/ci_20213659/peyton-mannings-deal-broncos-5-years-96-million

Derp. I forgot that '15 and '16 simply weren't guaranteed. So... unlike what this article implies, it seems that they could just cut him if they felt like it, before the deadline. Physical doesn't even matter, really.

By the way... do teams ever have to pay injury settlements, based on off-season physicals?
    Man this must make you absolutely giddy with joy...perhaps they will bring back Tebow. Wow the mind boggles with excitement at the thought.
    Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

I'm wondering if this article "leak" might be a way to have Manning restructure his contract. He clearly is not a $19 million dollar player any longer, especially when Brady, as a SB champion restructured and is making $9.

If he doesn't want to do that, then they cut him. Of course, just speculation.

Thinking as a fan, I don't want Manning back. I'm ready to move on. I don't believe we can win a championship with him. Considering the new coaching staff and new system, I'd rather speed up our long-term plans which must include the evaluation of Osweiler. Without Manning, Kubiak won't have to bend his system and beliefs to fit a fading star that likely won't last beyond this season. I understand we may struggle to get back to the playoffs and each win will be a hard-fought battle again, but I'm ready for it because we will soon have to deal with this anyway.

Thinking as Elway and Kubiak, I can see why they would want Manning back. Elway needs a good season in 2015 to prove we have a championship roster and Fox was just riding Manning's success. Kubiak needs a good season to prove Elway right, to prove we needed better coaching to get to the next level. There will be a lot of pressure and a bad feeling if we go from 12-4 to 8-8 without a playoff spot. Manning can win in the regular season. Elway and Kubiak would rather get to the playoffs and then see what happens. Once Manning is gone, we will start a quest (which can be quick or take a long time) to find the proper replacement.

I really like our current coaching staff. I really like Kubiak's offense, I think it's the beautiful Broncos football the fans are used to. I just don't like the idea of bringing a new coaching staff and make them look like the previous coaches because Manning is still running the show. I want the head coach to run the show, with all players buying in.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    I'm wondering if this article "leak" might be a way to have Manning restructure his contract. He clearly is not a $19 million dollar player any longer, especially when Brady, as a SB champion restructured and is making $9.

If he doesn't want to do that, then they cut him. Of course, just speculation.
    Be careful, you're starting to sound like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    Thinking as a fan, I don't want Manning back. I'm ready to move on. I don't believe we can win a championship with him. Considering the new coaching staff and new system, I'd rather speed up our long-term plans which must include the evaluation of Osweiler. Without Manning, Kubiak won't have to bend his system and beliefs to fit a fading star that likely won't last beyond this season. I understand we may struggle to get back to the playoffs and each win will be a hard-fought battle again, but I'm ready for it because we will soon have to deal with this anyway.

Thinking as Elway and Kubiak, I can see why they would want Manning back. Elway needs a good season in 2015 to prove we have a championship roster and Fox was just riding Manning's success. Kubiak needs a good season to prove Elway right, to prove we needed better coaching to get to the next level. There will be a lot of pressure and a bad feeling if we go from 12-4 to 8-8 without a playoff spot. Manning can win in the regular season. Elway and Kubiak would rather get to the playoffs and then see what happens. Once Manning is gone, we will start a quest (which can be quick or take a long time) to find the proper replacement.

I really like our current coaching staff. I really like Kubiak's offense, I think it's the beautiful Broncos football the fans are used to. I just don't like the idea of bringing a new coaching staff and make them look like the previous coaches because Manning is still running the show. I want the head coach to run the show, with all players buying in.
    This is an excellent post and you raise some points I haven't considered before. Such as those from Elway and Kubiak's perspective. Doesn't seem to be very easy answers for either side.

What would you think would be Manning's perspective? Why would he come back? I actually see more cons for him than pros. I don't believe anyone really thinks we are going to win a SB, he will never catch up to Brady, if that's a thought for him, his arm strength is waning, he would need to learn a new offense and relinquish control? And, I would really hate for him to go out like Favre.

I'm not seeing too many pros except getting all the records, and his love of the game and the prep and work.

Sounds like another reporter trying to make a name for themselves. No sources named, only rumors.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

This is an excellent post and you raise some points I haven't considered before. Such as those from Elway and Kubiak's perspective. Doesn't seem to be very easy answers for either side.

What would you think would be Manning's perspective? Why would he come back? I actually see more cons for him than pros. I don't believe anyone really thinks we are going to win a SB, he will never catch up to Brady, if that's a thought for him, his arm strength is waning, he would need to learn a new offense and relinquish control? And, I would really hate for him to go out like Favre.

I'm not seeing too many pros except getting all the records, and his love of the game and the prep and work.
    I would seriously doubt that Elway would ever cut Peyton Manning, He has too much class for that. If this article is true and I certainly don't know if it is or not, JE will go to Peyton and say, "I think it is time you hang them up and we want you to retire." At that point Peyton will have a choice, he can either retire or decide he wants to go to another team. Quite frankly, I can't imagine him going to another team, I think he would retire and move on the the next part of his life. I doubt if we will hear the last of Peyton Manning in football circles. Either way, I will be a happy Bronco fan and I look forward to whatever the future holds.
    Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

Quote Originally Posted by Larryh View Post
    I would seriously doubt that Elway would ever cut Peyton Manning, He has too much class for that. If this article is true and I certainly don't know if it is or not, JE will go to Peyton and say, "I think it is time you hang them up and we want you to retire." At that point Peyton will have a choice, he can either retire or decide he wants to go to another team. Quite frankly, I can't imagine him going to another team, I think he would retire and move on the the next part of his life. I doubt if we will hear the last of Peyton Manning in football circles. Either way, I will be a happy Bronco fan and I look forward to whatever the future holds.
    Yeah, I'm just hoping for a mutual decision for all parties. We'll know in a couple of days. Like Sam said, oh to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

I think a strong case could be made for a restructure, but the way to do it to keep with the contract terms might be to fail his physical, which let's them out of the contract, then they could resign him at a lower fee.

If they did intend to do this, I am certain they would clue Manning in on the intentions beforehand so he did not feel duped.

Doing this would add to the story line if they indeed went to the Superbowl: Aging Manning fails physical, Elway believes in Manning and takes a chance on him and he leads Broncos to Superbowl in career ending effort
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

What would you think would be Manning's perspective? Why would he come back?
    Pretty much what you mentioned. Love for the game, he will miss playing the game for the rest of his life... Favre's record is so close... A chance to prove he can still play a good game in the playoffs... Manning's reputation in the playoffs is already tarnished, he has nothing left to lose there. Even if Manning does not win another ring, he would probably like to end his career with a more respectable performance in the playoffs.

EDIT: Manning will be known as a regular-season QB, so he better get some extra stats there.
    Last edited by -Rod-; 02-10-2015 at 04:55 PM.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

The Broncos are too classy to cut Manning loose without doing it in a well orchestrated manner. Both Manning and the Broncos have every reason to make the ending a respectful one -even if manning doesn't want out yet. It will be one that other franchises could copy. John Elway wouldn't just wait till the last minute and fail Manning on his physical. Elway would keep Manning in the loop.

Maybe, the new coaches feel differently than Elway. And maybe Elway finds himself in a tough spot after firing and hiring coaching staffs. But I just find it hard to believe that the Broncos brass will choose do 'cut Manning loose' in any way other than one that at least 'appears' to be mutual. Elway wouldn't throw Manning under the bus. And Manning wouldn't throw Elway under the bus.

I guess there might still be time to let Manning go 'the right way'. But if he was to go, don't you think we'd have heard rumors and little leaks that sort of help fans adjust to the possibility of that reality? Instead we're getting "We want Manning back" and we're getting "Manning has every intention of coming back".
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese