Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Intelligence Index: Physically Gifted Denver Broncos a Dumb Team

While I was wasting time tonight browsing the various football related sites, i came across the following article. The headline of the article reads, "Intelligence Index: Physically Gifted Denver Broncos a Dumb Team"

I would be interested what others think about the theories espoused in this article.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...mb-team/32445/
    Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

The short answer is yes.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Is that due to Del Rios bend and break defense?

Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

The article kind of proves John Elway's firing of John Fox clearly the correct move.
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    The article kind of proves John Elway's firing of John Fox clearly the correct move.
    Interesting but I read it the same way. The article seemed to be a subtle indictment of the Broncos coaching staff.
    Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    I think Fox did his job while he was here and did just what he was here to do.. I dont fault him a bit..He got a messed up team back to where it should be..Goooooo Foxy ...

I am super excited about the new staff because I think its the next step the Broncos need...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!

After reading the article their reasoning seemed to be that the team gave up too many short fields.

That's not coaching, that's because our special teams were terrible all season.

It's not "PC" to call them "DUMB", I would like to think they were "Mentally Challenged"!!!!!

The article certainly has a point of view of which it is attempting to assign indexes to support, but they were not too dumb to end up 12-4 with such a brutal schedule, offensive line scrambling, having no game plan and streaky special teams play. But, I do agree had they been smarter they might have ended up better off.

The article seems to point to the defense as the culprit, but had CJ Anderson not come out of nowhere and surprised everyone, the offense would be criticized much more.

I am not sure an index needs to be assigned to what we already know; it was an incredibly disappointing season from a team that should have been dominant.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Larryh View Post
    Interesting but I read it the same way. The article seemed to be a subtle indictment of the Broncos coaching staff.
    Agreed

It is up to the coaching staff to prepare a team and have them ready for what the opponent does

I feel we got outcoached a lot with Fox at the helm. We won some of those games with talent but it is obvious to me that Fox is not a good teacher of the Xs and Os.

Honestly I do not think we could have had two more opposite coaches from McD to Fox.
    Vic Fangio "Von Miller can play better than he has ever played in his career"
    Preventing Death by Inches

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    The article certainly has a point of view of which it is attempting to assign indexes to support, but they were not too dumb to end up 12-4 with such a brutal schedule, offensive line scrambling, having no game plan and streaky special teams play. But, I do agree had they been smarter they might have ended up better off.

The article seems to point to the defense as the culprit, but had CJ Anderson not come out of nowhere and surprised everyone, the offense would be criticized much more.

I am not sure an index needs to be assigned to what we already know; it was an incredibly disappointing season from a team that should have been dominant.
    I agree!

Its also easy to pick and choose stats to back up a certain point of view. In this case it says the Broncos are dumb, but even in its own article it says:
    "The Broncos still rank No. 1 in our Quality Stats Power Rankings, they boast 8 Quality Wins, easily the most in the NFL"

Its the NFL, we were the AFC Champs. There is a target on us.

Seattles "intelligence index" was one spot above ours. Houstons intelligence index was in the #2 spot. Not too sure about this "research"
    Kyle: Dude! I almost thought those Afghani kids talked you into not liking America.
    Stan: No, dude. America may have some problems, but it's our home. Our team. And if you don't wanna root for your team, then you should get the hell out of the stadium.
    Kyle: Yeah.
    Stan:<salutes the American flag> Go America.
    Kyle:<salutes> Go America...

Kyle: Go Broncos.
    Stan: Yeah, go Broncos.
    Cartman: Yeah.

Interesting stats which offer little of a football explanation for why. The new coaching staff is much more experienced than the previous one. We'll see what 2015 holds in store.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Interesting perspective. Can't argue because many of us felt they were outcoached and questioned decisions throughout the season.

Yet I have wonder about the article. Written by a New England writer that chose to center his article on the Broncos yet Seattle and Detroit ranked on either side of the Broncos. Why the fascination with the Broncos?

I am starting to worry about myself. I am starting to question the motives of all things New England. Next I will be questioning if it is really clams in in my bowl the next time I order NE chowder.

I was watching The Sports Show on the Denver Post site yesterday and Les Shapiro told an interesting story about the Baltimore playoff loss.

Shapiro said that the day after the game he was at a Nuggets game and George Karl called him over just to talk about the Broncos loss and how he couldn't believe the excuse Fox gave for running the clock out and not giving Manning a shot to pass for a first down in regulation. Fox said that the stats showed that the odds weren't in the Broncos favor. According to Shapiro, Karl pretty much said "screw the odds" and that when you have one of the best QBs in history, you throw the stats out and let the player play.

Karl is a stats guy, but he's also a player guy and understands there are times when you don't go with the stats just because they are the stats.

These are very basic stats. All they do is divide yards by points. That isn't situational football at all. It actually disregards the situational aspect entirely.

Here's an example: If a team's defense allows a 75 yard drive, and the offense makes the field goal, that drive results in a "bend" score of 25. (75 yards/3 points). However, If an offense turns the ball over on the 10 yard line, and the defense holds them to a field goal while only allowing 3 yards, that drive results in a "bend" score of 1 (3 yards/3 points). Ideally, with a large enough sample size, the results should even out more, but I don't think yards/points are an ideal statistic.

Also, regarding their "intelligence" score: All this means is how much more efficient your defense is than your offense. Why they think subtracting offensive efficiency from defensive efficiency equals "intelligence" is beyond me.

The lesson here is this: Statistics mean nothing unless they are interpreted correctly.
    Last edited by SecondsAway131; 02-13-2015 at 07:02 AM.
    2017 Adopt-A-Bronco is Von Miller