Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slytherclaw View Post
    This is what gets me every time I hear armchair GMs go on about restructuring contracts - as though doing so has no impact on the future. I have no doubt Peyton would do it if they did indeed ask him to do so, but that doesn't mean it's ultimately going to be of a great benefit. If what I've seen is correct, the Broncos are looking at around 50M in free cap space next year as it currently stands. This year, even if they tag DT (which to be honest, I would likely not do if I were in their place, but I'm not GM, so whatever lol), they've still got some leeway, so it's not critical.

Honestly, as much as I like DT & JT, neither one is consistent enough to be considered irreplaceable in my book. JT can't block worth a darn and DT has issues holding onto perfectly thrown balls that hit him in the hands. If they get too pricey, let them walk.

Virgil & Pot Roast are more important IMO (and even Pot Roast is on the bubble).
    I totally agree with that statement. But that is the very same thing people are saying about Peyton. "He's too pricey, let him walk."

But it's Elway's decision to make as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Any and every agent. 20 mil is more the norm for starting qbs, the exception being players recently drafted or reclamation projects. Dalton, cutler, Ryan, stafford, flacco, eli, brees, Big Ben is about to get his 2nd huge contract.

Are saints fans clamoring to get rid of Drew Brees after his poor season (by his standards)? Are cardinal fans wanting to get rid of Carson Palmer? Manning is good enough to win the Super Bowl, we just need to build the team around him and get better coaches that actually make in game adjustments.
    There are 4 above $20-M, Rodgers, Ryan, Flacco and Brees.

Then Manning at the 5th spot at $19.

6-14 are above $15-M booke-ended with Kapernick at $19-M, and Rivers at $15-M.

$20-Mil is not the normal and certainly not for a guy that can barley throw it 30-yards.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    Seems reasonable. At this point, who would argue Manning is worth $19M?
    A late-season quad tear does not devalue him as a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by weefishy View Post
    What about his declining play from weeks nine through fourteen? He began to struggle long before his week fifteen injury. The last time Peyton Manning looked like Peyton Manning was when we beat up on the 49ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Den615 View Post
    What about his declining play from weeks nine through fourteen? He began to struggle long before his week fifteen injury. The last time Peyton Manning looked like Peyton Manning was when we beat up on the 49ers.
    You may want to rematch the highlights from week 12 v Miami, yeah he only put up 257 yards, but watch the tight windows he put some of those throws in, that would be Manning looking Manning. And then if you go to the highlights from the next week v the Chefs, they show him throwing a ball in warmup, look at the grimace on his face after he throws that ball warming up....there's no doubt in my mind he had an injury at that point in time, still 2 weeks before the Chargers game. They may have started admitting he was dinged up after the Chargers game, but he was hurt before that.

There are 4 above $20-M, Rodgers, Ryan, Flacco and Brees.

Then Manning at the 5th spot at $19.

6-14 are above $15-M booke-ended with Kapernick at $19-M, and Rivers at $15-M.

$20-Mil is not the normal and certainly not for a guy that can barley throw it 30-yards.
    So nearly half of the starters make at least 15 mil? You're implying manning doesn't belong in the top half of the nfl in terms of pay?

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    So nearly half of the starters make at least 15 mil? You're implying manning doesn't belong in the top half of the nfl in terms of pay?
    Is Brady making about 14 million right now? Peyton should not be paid more than that in my opinion. If we are talking moneyball (value).

Whatever elway thinks will help the team.

Hooray, beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mora View Post
    Is Brady making about 14 million right now? Peyton should not be paid more than that in my opinion. If we are talking moneyball (value).
    I really was not trying to imply anything. Manning was a great QB, but now he is a great QB with less than average abilities. I do not know what he is worth, but I think it is hard to argue he belongs in the top-5. I think it comes down to what Elway is willing to do. That may be nothing at all or paying $19M or somewhere in between.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

I really was not trying to imply anything. Manning was a great QB, but now he is a great QB with less than average abilities. I do not know what he is worth, but I think it is hard to argue he belongs in the top-5. I think it comes down to what Elway is willing to do. That may be nothing at all or paying $19M or somewhere in between.
    I agree. And I guess you're worth what you're boss wants to pay you.

I really think almost all these qb's are overpaid. They don't win Superbowls once they get this kind of money. I'm a colts fan, and we are about to give Luck 25 million. He hasn't won anything really. He has incredible potential. But it will literally kill us. I don't see us winning a superbowl doing that.
    Last edited by Jim Mora; 02-15-2015 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Whatever elway thinks will help the team.
    Agreed. It's one of those decisions that Mr. B made and you hope that it was a great one!
    The Bronco fan pledge;
    I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
    I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
    I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
    I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
    Bronco's Country.

***Adopt a Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.***

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

It's hard to re-do his deal without adding a cheap year on it, and cutting down the cap #.

He doesnt have 3 years left, maybe 1.

I could see him come back, have a good start, get an injury, fade into the playoffs if they make it, and everyone will make excuses for everyone but Manning.

And we're back here a year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by qbronco View Post
    I completely agree.

Our O-line was abysmal last season. I really believe this was the main reason we faltered.

IMHO, Mark Schlereth's comments about the O-line last season were on point.

With Kubiak's offense, a major focal point will be changes to the O-line (tight ends included).

I am excited about free agency and the draft to see how the team addresses this issue.
    Unless Manning re-does his deal, we cant really add much.

We dont have as much cap space as people think we do.

Quote Originally Posted by weefishy View Post
    Injuries actually do have a negative effect on value.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    You may want to rematch the highlights from week 12 v Miami, yeah he only put up 257 yards, but watch the tight windows he put some of those throws in, that would be Manning looking Manning. And then if you go to the highlights from the next week v the Chefs, they show him throwing a ball in warmup, look at the grimace on his face after he throws that ball warming up....there's no doubt in my mind he had an injury at that point in time, still 2 weeks before the Chargers game. They may have started admitting he was dinged up after the Chargers game, but he was hurt before that.
    He certainly showed flashes of his old self, but he isn't the same QB he used to be. Honestly I thought one of his worst games of the season was when he threw 5 td's against Oakland. That's a ridiculous thing to say, but it's true. As the year went on I just grew more frustrated watching him play. Even though his stat sheet was solid and we won more than we lost, it just looked like we were witnessing a different player.

The blueprint to beat a Manning offense is simple now. Take away the short stuff... The slants and the screens, basically any play that relies on yards after the catch for success and all you have left is Manning floating 15 yard jump balls and getting his receivers lit up. Not everyone has the personnel to execute it, but when they do it is flat ugly. See the Seattle/New England/St. Louis/Cincinnati/Indianapolis games. They all essentially had the same gameplan and we couldn't do a thing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ERoyal248 View Post
    It's hard to re-do his deal without adding a cheap year on it, and cutting down the cap #.

He doesnt have 3 years left, maybe 1.

I could see him come back, have a good start, get an injury, fade into the playoffs if they make it, and everyone will make excuses for everyone but Manning.

And we're back here a year from now.
    That last sentence is my biggest fear.