Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 303
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    251

    My Take On Manning's Decision Delay

    My take on this delay in announcing Manning's decision to return is due to DT's contract - If the Broncos can sign DT with a cap friendly 1st year (ie $5 million) then Manning gets the OK to return at $21.5 Million - If they have to use the Franchise Tag then I believe we cut bait and roll with Brock

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    2,606
    The Manning deal will be done first and then Elway will move forward with resigning DT. He isn't going to accept 5 mil a year, he is better than that and will get more. I think maybe DT would be okay with the franchise tag, then he has the option to move on after this season when Manning leaves. I think many FA players are watching to see if Manning is returning for sure and then they may make decisions as to stay for a bit less or test the market for top dollar.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Taos, New Mexico
    Posts
    3,342
    Quote Originally Posted by trc1962 View Post
    The Manning deal will be done first and then Elway will move forward with resigning DT. He isn't going to accept 5 mil a year, he is better than that and will get more. I think maybe DT would be okay with the franchise tag, then he has the option to move on after this season when Manning leaves. I think many FA players are watching to see if Manning is returning for sure and then they may make decisions as to stay for a bit less or test the market for top dollar.
    The loss to the Colts was crushing. Peyton knows that lies squarely on him, yeah it 's a team sport but we all know the deal on who the most important player on the team is and he is getting paid like it. I can't think of another team where the QB would be allowed to play through an injury as serious as the torn quad turned out to be. I can't help but feel this decision was driven by motives that were not in the best interest of the team.

    There are two other QB's on this roster, there is a reason we keep a spare or two. Decisions that would normally be made o any other team are altered in our franchise by the perceived royalty at this particular position.

    This all changed! I feel the shake up at the top was about a year too late (playoff loss to Ravens should have done it) but the 2013 team did light it up. The Superbowl hangover was brutal, I get it, but 2014 was a team without heart and leadership. Only Peyton really knows what was really wrong, the injury is certainly a part of it but we will never be privy to the rest of it. All of this has to be weighing on his mind, he looked mentally tired at the midway point and defeated before he even set foot on the post season turf.

    How much has the man got left in the tank? 19 games?
    [

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    251
    You miss my point - DT will be signed for $12 to $14 Million per but they will structure it to only count $5 Million or so for this year - If we sign DT long term then fine but his deal needs to get done first to afford Manning

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Taos, New Mexico
    Posts
    3,342
    Quote Originally Posted by pzmire View Post
    You miss my point - DT will be signed for $12 to $14 Million per but they will structure it to only count $5 Million or so for this year - If we sign DT long term then fine but his deal needs to get done first to afford Manning
    Peyton has made his intentions to return known, if he passes the physical, it's the last payday he gets as a starter.

    The rest is up to DT's agent, I'm guessing he gets the tag.
    [

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    I can't think of another team where the QB would be allowed to play through an injury as serious as the torn quad turned out to be. I can't help but feel this decision was driven by motives that were not in the best interest of the team.
    So you can't think of any teams that will allow a proven starter who has been considered one of the best at his position to play with a quad injury in a playoff game rather than allow a young player with virtually no NFL experience to play in his place? It's a good thing you have that conspiracy theory to fall back on.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Taos, New Mexico
    Posts
    3,342
    Quote Originally Posted by dbjeff View Post
    So you can't think of any teams that will allow a proven starter who has been considered one of the best at his position to play with a quad injury in a playoff game rather than allow a young player with virtually no NFL experience to play in his place? It's a good thing you have that conspiracy theory to fall back on.
    How did that work out for us?
    [

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    How did that work out for us?
    Probably about the same as Brock Osweiler starting (in hindsight).

    Feel free to provide that long list of backup quarterbacks with 17 NFL completions that took their team to the Super Bowl. I'd love to see it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    9,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    The loss to the Colts was crushing. Peyton knows that lies squarely on him, yeah it 's a team sport but we all know the deal on who the most important player on the team is and he is getting paid like it. I can't think of another team where the QB would be allowed to play through an injury as serious as the torn quad turned out to be. I can't help but feel this decision was driven by motives that were not in the best interest of the team.

    There are two other QB's on this roster, there is a reason we keep a spare or two. Decisions that would normally be made o any other team are altered in our franchise by the perceived royalty at this particular position.

    This all changed! I feel the shake up at the top was about a year too late (playoff loss to Ravens should have done it) but the 2013 team did light it up. The Superbowl hangover was brutal, I get it, but 2014 was a team without heart and leadership. Only Peyton really knows what was really wrong, the injury is certainly a part of it but we will never be privy to the rest of it. All of this has to be weighing on his mind, he looked mentally tired at the midway point and defeated before he even set foot on the post season turf.

    How much has the man got left in the tank? 19 games?
    I agree the loss was crushing but how can you blame Manning for the loss?

    What I saw were a bunch of players, again, unprepared to play which falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaches who were obviously just waiting for their next gig.

    Nothing new from Foxy to have the team prepared for a playoff game.

    Gase used the same game plan that he has used for every game last year

    Del-Rio also used the same game plan (bend and break defense) that he used for every game last year.

    They did make some adjustments in the third and when we got ahead they quit doing what was working. It was the most amazing piece of crap coaching I have ever seen.

    Just because Manning is the highest paid player on the team doesn't mean if we fail it is all his fault. How about blaming Clady for not touching the DE that caused Manning to fumble because he had what a half a second the throw the ball. Or DT for dropping what 4 passes that hit him DIRECTLY in the hands.

    Where was "Show Me The Money" JT in the game? I think he had 1 catch (that he almost fumbled away) and one drop that hit him right in the hands. Where was the o-line that played like crap?

    Had the coaches put in the other QB's as you are suggesting we would have lost by more.

    Now that we have a coach and coordinator that actually have some experience in play calling maybe, just maybe Manning will be just fine.

    I want Peyton back because he will give us a chance to win a SB if the rest of the team helps him instead of sitting back and expecting Manning to carry everyone else to the promise land. If the rest of the team does their part than he can win.

    Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    19,247
    What I'm struggling with is why is there so much hatred, bashing, or whatever word you want to use with Manning. Is it because he promised we'd win a SB? What? I don't understand it.

    Does everyone realize that since our 2 SB's we literally have won only 2 playoff games. That's 2 freaking, lousy playoff games in 16 years.

    Manning literally made us a contender the second he stepped on the field. And we all knew it. Even before each season started, all of us on these boards were talking about what was going to happen in the playoffs. This was before the season started. Why, because of Manning. We knew we'd be in the playoffs.

    Yes, so far it hasn't worked out like we hoped. But some people around here act like we've been this unbelievable playoff SB contender every year and Manning just screwed it up for us. Well, it wasn't just him. The entire team needs to show up in order to win a playoff game and the SB. And I'm sorry to say, but it wasn't just Manning who didn't show up. It was the whole team, including the damn coaches who had their heads elsewhere and on new jobs.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    What I'm struggling with is why is there so much hatred, bashing, or whatever word you want to use with Manning.
    George Carlin has a heck of quote that explains it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    19,247
    Quote Originally Posted by allthings18 View Post
    George Carlin has a heck of quote that explains it.
    Still don't get it
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,469
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    What I'm struggling with is why is there so much hatred, bashing, or whatever word you want to use with Manning. Is it because he promised we'd win a SB? What? I don't understand it.

    Does everyone realize that since our 2 SB's we literally have won only 2 playoff games. That's 2 freaking, lousy playoff games in 16 years.

    Manning literally made us a contender the second he stepped on the field. And we all knew it. Even before each season started, all of us on these boards were talking about what was going to happen in the playoffs. This was before the season started. Why, because of Manning. We knew we'd be in the playoffs.

    Yes, so far it hasn't worked out like we hoped. But some people around here act like we've been this unbelievable playoff SB contender every year and Manning just screwed it up for us. Well, it wasn't just him. The entire team needs to show up in order to win a playoff game and the SB. And I'm sorry to say, but it wasn't just Manning who didn't show up. It was the whole team, including the damn coaches who had their heads elsewhere and on new jobs.
    Four wins actually- two before Manning, two with him. 4-10 record in the playoffs and eight seasons with no playoff appearances at all. That's kind of depressing.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    19,247
    Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    Four wins actually- two before Manning, two with him. 4-10 record in the playoffs and eight seasons with no playoff appearances at all. That's kind of depressing.
    Well, I meant before Manning got here. But yes, 2 in 13 years before Manning and 2 in 3 years with Manning. Thanks for clarifying.

    That's why I don't understand why all bashing towards him. Yes, we haven't achieved what we wanted with him, a SB title, but jeez, we sure have achieved a hell of a lot more with him than without.
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 02-14-2015 at 02:04 PM.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by dbjeff View Post
    Probably about the same as Brock Osweiler starting (in hindsight).

    Feel free to provide that long list of backup quarterbacks with 17 NFL completions that took their team to the Super Bowl. I'd love to see it.

    It's a short list.

    Fox did the kid a favor by not ruining his career before it started. First NFL start in the playoffs?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •