Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pzmire View Post
    My take on this delay in announcing Manning's decision to return is due to DT's contract - If the Broncos can sign DT with a cap friendly 1st year (ie $5 million) then Manning gets the OK to return at $21.5 Million - If they have to use the Franchise Tag then I believe we cut bait and roll with Brock
    IMO the only reason that no official word is out yet, is the team is waiting on the final say from the doctors with his physicals.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBreeder View Post
    Terry Bradshaw, 1974
    Roger Staubach, 1971
    Jim Plunkett, 1980
    Jeff Hostetler, 1990
    Kurt Warner, 1999
    Trent Dilfer, 2000
    Tom Brady, 2001
    David Woodley

Doug Williams
    Steve Young
    Except for Hoss, all of these QBs played during the regular season, so that's a lot different than just throwing in a guy in the playoffs. I would guess that if Denver had just thrown Osweiller in for that game the result would have been similar to the Ryan Lindley led Cardinals in Charlotte the week before.

That's not to say Osweiller can't become a good QB and have playoff success but it's doubtful he would have found that by making his first career start in the playoffs.

Side Note: I wonder how many people advocating for Osweiller now were people that proclaimed that he wasn't the one based on preseason results or mop up duty in meaningless games v the Raiders?

Quote Originally Posted by trc1962 View Post
    Even with Elway we did not routinely win AFC West titles and after the two super bowls watching the broncos at times wasn't so fun. Griese just couldn't get it done, Plummer was better, but headed for the hills earlier than thought, Cutler never really got started. We have had unheralded success since Elway took over and Manning was onboard. They deserve a lot of credit for the success. Manning is like a receivers coach out there and turns decent receivers into pro bowlers because he spends so much extra time with them. There is hate because a super bowl wasn't won, but why is that all on Manning? Foxy should have been replaced after the Ravens debacle, but he wasn't and here we are, thankfully with a different staff. Thanks to that for sure.
    There's a lot of fans that seem to think winning the Super Bowl is easy and if a team doesn't do it their season was a complete failure.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    It is not about HAS Manning earned his pay, it is about WILL he earn it going forward? I do not think we can put a less talented team around him (which we will be forced to do with the FA we lose and the money left to replace them), along with expectations he will play at the same level at age 39.

It is not about appreciation or bashing, just simply what is best for the team now. Some think Manning is best shot for a SB win this year, I disagree. The best shot will be a dominant defense and strong running game. AZ, Seattle, KC, and Balt have all had success with this model. Dont need a great QB, just a clutch one like Wilson and Flacco have shown.

Spending money this way keeps us good vs good for another year.
    And I believe Manning is our best shot at a Superbowl, as well as winning the AFC West, and more regular season games. Os it totally unproven and to replace Manning with a FA QB with any experience at all will cost $4-5 million.

Plus, there's absolutely no guarantee the money spent on other players will work out. Not to mention, we've gotten good deals on FAs because Manning was here. I'd be willing to bet that without Manning, Sanders would be a Chief. I'd also bet without Peyton FAs will be less interested in playing here and will cost us a bit more to sign some of them.

Then there's the issue of home playoff games being worth $25 million to the franchise. Winning the division guarantees at least one home playoff game. I'll take my chances with Peyton until it's proven we won't win the AFC West with him.

Quote Originally Posted by trc1962 View Post
    Even with Elway we did not routinely win AFC West titles and after the two super bowls watching the broncos at times wasn't so fun. Griese just couldn't get it done, Plummer was better, but headed for the hills earlier than thought, Cutler never really got started. We have had unheralded success since Elway took over and Manning was onboard. They deserve a lot of credit for the success. Manning is like a receivers coach out there and turns decent receivers into pro bowlers because he spends so much extra time with them. There is hate because a super bowl wasn't won, but why is that all on Manning? Foxy should have been replaced after the Ravens debacle, but he wasn't and here we are, thankfully with a different staff. Thanks to that for sure.
    I think there are many things that play into the attitude towards Peyton Manning, and most of it is unfair. I just cannot emotionally shake the notion that I am rooting for the Denver Colts. Where I totally adopted Plummer, Champ, Lynch..., I miss the emotion.

The Broncos have almost always played ugly, gritty, never give an inch football, that when it really mattered exploded into a firework of last minute heroics and magic. I loved Tebow for that, I loved Plummer for that and I loved Elway for that.

Manning is arguably the best QB to ever play for the Broncos (Elway the most magic), but while Elway (Plummer/Tebow) hardly ever played games as picture perfect as Manning, it was very few games where you had the same sinking feeling like the SB and this years divisional.

Manning was brought in to replace a QB that the vast majority of Bronco fans were excited to see develop during the 2012 season - a player we told ourselves had it - and Bowlen's money bought Manning to come and win a title.

Had we not had the unbelievable run with Tebow, and had we had to compare Manning to Kyle Orton, Jay Cutler.... we would be giving Manning the respect he deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    I think there are many things that play into the attitude towards Peyton Manning, and most of it is unfair. I just cannot emotionally shake the notion that I am rooting for the Denver Colts. Where I totally adopted Plummer, Champ, Lynch..., I miss the emotion.

The Broncos have almost always played ugly, gritty, never give an inch football, that when it really mattered exploded into a firework of last minute heroics and magic. I loved Tebow for that, I loved Plummer for that and I loved Elway for that.

Manning is arguably the best QB to ever play for the Broncos (Elway the most magic), but while Elway (Plummer/Tebow) hardly ever played games as picture perfect as Manning, it was very few games where you had the same sinking feeling like the SB and this years divisional.

Manning was brought in to replace a QB that the vast majority of Bronco fans were excited to see develop during the 2012 season - a player we told ourselves had it - and Bowlen's money bought Manning to come and win a title.

Had we not had the unbelievable run with Tebow, and had we had to compare Manning to Kyle Orton, Jay Cutler.... we would be giving Manning the respect he deserves.
    Great post but I do have a question. Why do we have to compare him to anyone? He is what he is and when I watch him I see him with an Orange uniform and Denver helmet on. As a result, he is the Denver Broncos qb. He isn't the first quarterback to fail to live up to what are maybe unrealistic expectations and he certainly won't be the last.
    Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

Quote Originally Posted by dbjeff View Post
    So you can't think of any teams that will allow a proven starter who has been considered one of the best at his position to play with a quad injury in a playoff game rather than allow a young player with virtually no NFL experience to play in his place? It's a good thing you have that conspiracy theory to fall back on.
    It's tough to argue with any real conviction that Osweiler should have started the playoff game against the Colts. The real failing of team management, IMO, was making/allowing Peyton to play the last few games of the regular season. It was pretty obvious by at least week 14 that the Broncos had the #2 seed all but locked up--odds were slim to catch NE and it would have taken a serious slump to lose the first-round bye. Why not let Brock start the final two regular season contests? That way Peyton has three weeks off (with the bye) to heal up and be fresh and healthy for the playoff run. If they knew Peyton was hurt, and it was clearly affecting his performance, team management should have done a lot more to optimize Peyton's health BEFORE the playoffs, so that we wouldn't be arguing about whether Brock should have started the Divisional Round game.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighInNY View Post
    It's tough to argue with any real conviction that Osweiler should have started the playoff game against the Colts. The real failing of team management, IMO, was making/allowing Peyton to play the last few games of the regular season. It was pretty obvious by at least week 14 that the Broncos had the #2 seed all but locked up--odds were slim to catch NE and it would have taken a serious slump to lose the first-round bye. Why not let Brock start the final two regular season contests? That way Peyton has three weeks off (with the bye) to heal up and be fresh and healthy for the playoff run. If they knew Peyton was hurt, and it was clearly affecting his performance, team management should have done a lot more to optimize Peyton's health BEFORE the playoffs, so that we wouldn't be arguing about whether Brock should have started the Divisional Round game.
    I think you are right on. I think Fox and the coaching staff should have taken the bull by the horns and sat Peyton down for the last part of the season. Like you said the #2 seed was virtually assured and sitting him down would have done wonders for his health and his mental state of mind. But it had to be the coaches that made this decision. They get paid to run the football team and that is what they should have done.
    Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighInNY View Post
    Great post! On most other teams, with any other QB, this would have been SOP. The new coaching staff is the game changer this year, I really hope this team gels quickly.
    [

There's no delay. The decision is made. They're waiting on the physical to make it official.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    ...Had we not had the unbelievable run with Tebow, and had we had to compare Manning to Kyle Orton, Jay Cutler.... we would be giving Manning the respect he deserves.
    Had we not had the unbelievable run with Tebow we would have had Andrew Luck or Ryan Tannehill.

Actually there has been criticism for how Foxy handled the injury to Manning. Pundits say he did not advise Manning to sit out just kind of said "you decide you know how you feel." Most players are going to try and play when they are the matrix of a team and Manning would definitely not step aside if he wasn't advised to. Had Fox been stronger and said "let yourself heal, we have won the west and we need you healthy for the playoffs." But he didn't and to me that is kind of a symptom of him planning to try to leave town and go else where. If you really want to do your best in the playoffs, you want your starter in there then, not to play in mop up games, which is something Oz and the running game could have done and gotten him experience in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBreeder View Post
    Had we not had the unbelievable run with Tebow we would have had Andrew Luck or Ryan Tannehill.
    OR RG3.

The broncos are a better team with Manning, but I think the Broncos are further from a Superbowl than they were last year. The coaching staff was just let go.... thats not a recipe for Superbowl run.

If the FO decides to part ways with Manning, he can get 20 million from some other team thats "just a QB away"

Quote Originally Posted by the-shuffler View Post
    OR RG3.

The broncos are a better team with Manning, but I think the Broncos are further from a Superbowl than they were last year. The coaching staff was just let go.... thats not a recipe for Superbowl run.

If the FO decides to part ways with Manning, he can get 20 million from some other team thats "just a QB away"
    We havent even gotten into the offseason moves yet.

Jumping the gun just a wee bit, dontcha think?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    There's a lot of fans that seem to think winning the Super Bowl is easy and if a team doesn't do it their season was a complete failure.
    I learned long ago while watching the Elway teams of the 80's that your garden variety casual or fairweather NFL fan appears to really believe that losing the super bowl makes you the worst team in the league instead of the 2nd best. Living in the SF bay area during the 80's surrounded by the so-called "49er faithfull" taught me that first hand
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!