Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chargers Signing OG Orlando Franklin

This really sucks....always considered him a big mauler and now he's gonna be mauling for the Chargers and against us...smh, weak

yeah, it will be a much needed upgrade for us if it goes through.

Haven't seen any updates on this. Are you sure it's on?

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Haven't seen any updates on this. Are you sure it's on?
    Michael Gehlken
    ‏@UTgehlken
    Source on Saturday characterized OL Orlando Franklin to Chargers as "unofficially done." Continue to hear same.

not 100% but it seems like it is going to happen.

Yep, just like many of us predicted. We are losing all of our players, players we drafted, and moving forward with a over the hill QB. Then what? A 75% rebuild? Should have moved forward with Brock and most of our roster imo. Time will tell.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

This might be Elway's first big mistake. .... Then again, what could I possibly know that he doesn't. Maybe it's just not financially possible. Be interesting to see why it's going down this way if true
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    Michael Gehlken
    ‏@UTgehlken
    Source on Saturday characterized OL Orlando Franklin to Chargers as "unofficially done." Continue to hear same.

not 100% but it seems like it is going to happen.
    Any idea of the $ amount?

If this is a done deal, I am a little disappointed. I like Orlando. Of course, being a fellow canuck, I am a little biased.

Not going to lose sleep on Franklin, especially if its 6-7 a year.

Still have nightmares about the SB watching him get killed. A good mauler but has poor footwork and part of the reason our interior struggled this year. If Manning wasn't the QB he would have given up a lot of sacks IMO.

Ive said it for ages, we NEED one of the 2 good, young centers. IMO that will make/break FA for us. Easy to find a solid guard... very hard to find a good center.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Not going to lose sleep on Franklin, especially if its 6-7 a year.

Still have nightmares about the SB watching him get killed. A good mauler but has poor footwork and part of the reason our interior struggled this year. If Manning wasn't the QB he would have given up a lot of sacks IMO.

Ive said it for ages, we NEED one of the 2 good, young centers. IMO that will make/break FA for us. Easy to find a solid guard... very hard to find a good center.
    I can dig it, but my main concern is losing all of these players and having to try and replace them with quality players with little cap space. I mean we can't expect rookies to step in and not miss a beat or are you seeing something I'm not?
    Dread it.Run from it.

I saw an article on Eddie Royal being available and that Denver could use him for returns and depth for slot. I personally don't think we need another receiver if we can stay healthy, but a returner might be good. I wonder if SD wants to keep him or not - I don't necc want him back, but be interesting to see what SD wants to do with him
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    I can dig it, but my main concern is losing all of these players and having to try and replace them with quality players with little cap space. I mean we can't expect rookies to step in and not miss a beat or are you seeing something I'm not?
    I hear ya. Found this article -

Orlando Franklin fits the image better than the scheme.

Effort is not the issue. The size of his potential contract and physique, however, increase the probability Franklin will sign elsewhere when the free-agent market opens next Tuesday. Franklin, 6-foot-7, 320 pounds, played left guard in a right tackle's body. . . .

With the Broncos switching to a zone-blocking scheme under coach Gary Kubiak, requiring linemen who are lighter on their feet, Franklin figures to cash in elsewhere. Broncos general manager John Elway hinted as much at the NFL combine.

"He's a good enough athlete to (play in the zone system)," Elway said. "But I think that Orlando is going to get a lot of interest at tackle or guard. He finished strong. There's going to be a lot of interest in him."

Players don't hit the open market with rubber bands on their backs. Franklin sacrificed last season, switching from tackle to guard despite his pending free agency. It's not realistic to expect him to take less to remain in Denver, despite his comfort with the franchise.

"Franklin had to move around because of the situation that happened along the line. He's a solid player," Kubiak said.

Sums it up. He's a solid player thats replaceable... especially in this system. We wouldn't pay 6-7 a year to a 'solid' guard.

I'm hoping we make a run at Wies. I would prefer him over Hudson regardless of the money involved.

Clady at LT, Wies. at Center, and Vasquez at RG..... would look pretty sweet to me.

RT is generally the easiest place on the line to fill so try out Schofield/Clark or I like Parnell from Dallas as a value buy.

Then draft a guard in the first 3 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    I saw an article on Eddie Royal being available and that Denver could use him for returns and depth for slot. I personally don't think we need another receiver if we can stay healthy, but a returner might be good. I wonder if SD wants to keep him or not - I don't necc want him back, but be interesting to see what SD wants to do with him
    San Diego just signed Jacoby Jones didn't they? I think they let ER walk, and I could see him coming back.
    Dread it.Run from it.

Yep, just like many of us predicted. We are losing all of our players, players we drafted, and moving forward with a over the hill QB. Then what? A 75% rebuild? Should have moved forward with Brock and most of our roster imo. Time will tell.
    i hear ya man, that's what i have been saying in smack lol

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Any idea of the $ amount?

If this is a done deal, I am a little disappointed. I like Orlando. Of course, being a fellow canuck, I am a little biased.
    i haven't heard any details.

San Diego just signed Jacoby Jones didn't they? I think they let ER walk, and I could see him coming back.
    SD still might keep him if they don't sign another WR. ER seems to be the better receiver of the two, jones is an occasional deep threat though.

i think Jones is more of a ST upgrade for the chargers, they still need a decent WR.