Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Of the 29 players Denver drafted during the past four years, 24 are still with the team. Three of those ended up on IR after twelve starts. Two were on the PS. One was the backup QB. One was not active on game day in 2014. The remaining seventeen were active for 239 games, an average of 14 games each. There were 106 starts among them at an offensive or defensive position (STs aren't counted). JDR was in the habit of playing all his active defenders on game day.

There were about fourteen players in 2014 the Broncos acquired as FAs who were drafted or draft eligible during the past four years. Denver signed ten of them as UDFAs. Four were on the PS. The other ten were active 135 games, an average of 13.5 games each. There were 49 starts among them at an offensive or defensive position.

The fact that STs starts aren't counted can be misleading when detecting young players on the field on game day. Aaron Brewer has done every long snap on Punt Team, XPA and FGA and played on KO, KOR and PR teams in every game during the past four years. Lamin Barrow and Corey Nelson played STs in every game last year.

I find it interesting that last year three offensive and three defensive players were drafted. The three defenders were active every game and had three starts. One of the offensive guys was on PS; one wasn't active; and, the other was active for eight games with no starts. This may say more about the difference between offense and defense than it does about some perceived unwillingness to play young players.
    Thanks as usual for a great report.

But I believe that most folks have the biggest concern for the OL guys drafted last year. That IIRC played little if at all.

When the OL was the real group that seemed to need it the worst after the DUMB Imo move of Franklin In His contract year to OLG. And all the gyrations after that.

Yes I know that they needed strength enhancements.
    But perhaps Elway should have looked at that fiber (I'll use that because the other is frowned on) change on the OL before the draft and made different decisions so a rookie could step in at OLG and left franklin alone. Knowing that cap constraint would probably preclude resigning him.

Quality depth on the OL has plagued this team since I became a fan.
    Never have we had more than one guy that could step in and play at a high level In a coons age.

Having a rookie between to experiences vets IMO would have been preferable to the abortion of an OL we had last year. With one try but co playing his natural position, Clady and even he was not at near 100%.

So let's hope that the year off building muscle will payoff this coming year and for for all intents and purposes long term players will be rookies this year learning what they should have last year on the field.

The guys the brought in for OC and OG are perhaps stop gap until we draft at least another OT and OG so we can dump the aging vets.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    Thanks as usual for a great report.

But I believe that most folks have the biggest concern for the OL guys drafted last year. That IIRC played little if at all.

When the OL was the real group that seemed to need it the worst after the DUMB Imo move of Franklin In His contract year to OLG. And all the gyrations after that.

Yes I know that they needed strength enhancements.
    But perhaps Elway should have looked at that fiber (I'll use that because the other is frowned on) change on the OL before the draft and made different decisions so a rookie could step in at OLG and left franklin alone. Knowing that cap constraint would probably preclude resigning him.

Quality depth on the OL has plagued this team since I became a fan.
    Never have we had more than one guy that could step in and play at a high level In a coons age.

Having a rookie between to experiences vets IMO would have been preferable to the abortion of an OL we had last year. With one try but co playing his natural position, Clady and even he was not at near 100%.

So let's hope that the year off building muscle will payoff this coming year and for for all intents and purposes long term players will be rookies this year learning what they should have last year on the field.

The guys the brought in for OC and OG are perhaps stop gap until we draft at least another OT and OG so we can dump the aging vets.
    Well, woulda, coulda, shoulda. With Clady and Vasquez anchoring the LT and RG positions and Manny playing well at center, it seemed that moving Franklin to LG would add interior strength to the line and allow Clark to cover RT, a position where the coaching staff believed he would fit. Sadly, Clark didn't make the transition to RT very well and therein was the problem. The Broncos spent a good part of the season jockeying people around the line trying to find the best fit during the regular season because Clark failed to play well on the right side.

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time the FO made their decisions, they had good reason to think the choices they were making were smart ones.
    You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!

Quote Originally Posted by rogue719 View Post
    Well, woulda, coulda, shoulda. With Clady and Vasquez anchoring the LT and RG positions and Manny playing well at center, it seemed that moving Franklin to LG would add interior strength to the line and allow Clark to cover RT, a position where the coaching staff believed he would fit. Sadly, Clark didn't make the transition to RT very well and therein was the problem. The Broncos spent a good part of the season jockeying people around the line trying to find the best fit during the regular season because Clark failed to play well on the right side.

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time the FO made their decisions, they had good reason to think the choices they were making were smart ones.
    I agree. I think our problems really came down to Clark not living up to expectations at RT. Toss in Clady was coming off an injury and there were rumors that Vasquez had a bad back along with Manny not playing as well as he did the year before and things just didn't work out for our OL last year.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue719 View Post

I doubt if we will ever know exactly who decided to move Franklin to LG and Clark to RT. I doubt if it was Dave Magazu. I was skeptical of both those moves. Franklin did a good job at LG but, just as I thought, Clark was benched at about game six because he can't down block. Beadles was the only guy who left, so they needed a LG. I thought they would draft Marcus Martin, which they could have done in the second round, but they drafted Schofield in the third. I hope there will be an infusion of talent with the draft.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I would give John Elway an A at the moment for what he has done as the GM

-He dug us out of the hole we were in with Josh McDaniels and got us into the playoffs that year
    -Brought a high calibre QB here (many wins may go to Manning's credit but that also goes to Mr. Elway for bringing him here)
    -We have been to the post season each year he has maintained the position of GM
    -Pat Bowlen entrusted him and Joe Ellis with the team, not just because of the position they have but because they are more than just the title of the job they have; they are friends with a deep history

The only thing I was scratching my head at was the OL issue we had last season when we moved Vasquez to RT rather than RG. We deviated from playing with what was best to filling in holes. I hope we learn from that mistake this year and regenerate the OL and maintain it.

Another issue in the forseeable future that will test Elway as a GM is when Manning retires...do we have someone we can give the keys to? I am not doubting anyone but it just depends how the transition goes...will we be prepared or will it be a shock and a complete new identity to how we execute as a team? I hope it will be the first...that we are ready, get teh new QB up to pace and let him synchronize with the team. If that goes well, then Elway maintains his "A" grade in my book
    50 Stars and 13 Bars

I give him an A. The team has won the division every season he's been in charge. Very few teams have been as competitive or won as many games as the Broncos.
    If you love NFL stats and history
    pro-football-reference.com
    jt-sw.com/football

So with the draft coming up I wonder if some of you might change the grade based on the results? I for one will be paying close attention to it. I hope we do some trading and maneuvering seeing as we have extra picks but I also want good value picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoyearound View Post
    So with the draft coming up I wonder if some of you might change the grade based on the results? I for one will be paying close attention to it. I hope we do some trading and maneuvering seeing as we have extra picks but I also want good value picks.
    IIRC we actually have two less picks to use to move around. we lost a 4 and 7 due to trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    IIRC we actually have two less picks to use to move around. we lost a 4 and 7 due to trades.
    Did not know that....dang where I been. Well I'd be satisfied with good value picks. Rather hit on a few then pick a bunch of players who might not pan out. I can't wait though I love the draft. Get to meet the new broncos!

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoyearound View Post
    Sounds good.

Until one realizes that draft classes are impossible to grade until at least 3 years have passed.

Quote Originally Posted by MH Stampede View Post
    Sounds good.

Until one realizes that draft classes are impossible to grade until at least 3 years have passed.
    True, but you can give a pre assessment based on position of need, reaching on players or wasted picks aka missed picks of a potential stud...basically nit pick lol.

Elway is a driven kind of guy. He has one goal in mind, another Lombardi.

He's manic about it, he's a homegrown Bronco, he's doing his best to get another Lombardi. I love it. Dude grinds his teeth wanting another Lombardi. Maybe that has been too intimidating for some of the guys that Elway has brought in. The heartening thing is Kubiak/Dennison/Phillips aren't intimidated, they know the drill and the expectations, they have the same expectations.

Elway is turning out to be one shrewd GM. He certainly makes assertive moves and is doing everything he can to make this a better team every day. Moving up to snag Ray is just another example. His one knock has been his drafting and he's obviously making a conscious effort to improve in that area. Very happy with Elway thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezer View Post
    I give him an A. The team has won the division every season he's been in charge. Very few teams have been as competitive or won as many games as the Broncos.
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    I doubt if we will ever know exactly who decided to move Franklin to LG and Clark to RT. I doubt if it was Dave Magazu. I was skeptical of both those moves. Franklin did a good job at LG but, just as I thought, Clark was benched at about game six because he can't down block. Beadles was the only guy who left, so they needed a LG. I thought they would draft Marcus Martin, which they could have done in the second round, but they drafted Schofield in the third. I hope there will be an infusion of talent with the draft.
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    Elway is turning out to be one shrewd GM. He certainly makes assertive moves and is doing everything he can to make this a better team every day. Moving up to snag Ray is just another example. His one knock has been his drafting and he's obviously making a conscious effort to improve in that area. Very happy with Elway thus far.
    I think that the OL is still a big concern for many. The 2nd year players we have on the roster now played as rookies and did not play as well as we needed them to. Now we let yet another player leave and he ended up with our division rival. For me, even post draft, I am VERY concerned about our OL. In order to run the ball we must be able to impose our will on our opponents. I am not certain we have the personnel at the moment to do that...I hope I am mistaken.

- Also as an aside part of my concern stems from the overall lack of experience we have on the line as well.

And post '15 draft I am giving Elway a B- (tops) - Winning your division is one thing. Being a principled business man is another but not looking at the bigger picture and trying to build key positions (like OL & ILB) have thus far come back and bit us in the but.
    Last edited by Rich_C; 05-04-2015 at 08:00 AM.

This draft was again...yawner but however I did like the Ray pick. Also the TE the rest of the picks I'm on the fence on. Ty have to show me something before I can get on board with the pick. I am not surprised as we always seem to have average drafts I want a good draft for once. I do know we picked later in the rounds but I just didn't like some of the players drafted hopefully I'm wrong and they do well.