Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Jameis Winston sued by accuser in sexual assault incident

- Jameis Winston sued by accuser in sexual assault incident -

"Almost exactly two weeks before the NFL draft is to begin, news broke that the presumptive top pick James Winston is being sued by his accuser in an alleged sexual assault incident from 2012.

The story was first reported by Matt Baker of the Tampa Bay Times. Baker reported the lawsuit was filed by Erica Kinsman on Thursday in the Circuit Court of the Ninth Judicial District. In the lawsuit, according to the Tampa Bay Times, Kinsman accuses Winston, the 2013 Heisman Trophy winner at Florida State, of sexual battery, assault, false imprisonment and "intentional infliction of emotional distress arising out of forcible rape." The incident in question happened in December of 2012." ...

Here is the statement Kinsman's attorney, John Clune, gave to Baker of the Tampa Bay Times :

"Today, a very brave young woman filed her lawsuit against Jameis Winston for the sexual battery that she reported to police in December 2012. Over the past two years, this survivor of sexual violence has had to endure a delinquent police investigation, a hostile FSU athletic department, and Mr. Winston's bullying lawyer. But the more these forces sought to silence her, the more determined she has become to step forward and hold Jameis Winston accountable for his actions. With the support of her family, she is prepared for this fight and for the counterclaims and the smear campaigns that will surely follow.

"We know that quite often the public is quick to support the cause against sexual violence but at times can be slow to support the individual women who come forward. We hope that this case becomes a model for understanding what real sexual assault cases look like as well as the barriers that survivors face in coming forward. Perhaps more than anything, Erica hopes to show other survivors the strength and empowerment that can come from refusing to stay silent no matter what forces are against you.

"Jameis Winston in contrast has proven time and time again to be an entitled athlete who believes he can take what he wants. He took something here that he was not entitled to and he hurt someone. There are consequences for that behavior and since others have refused to hold him accountable, our client will."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...212530057.html

I wonder how Tampa and the NFL will feel about Winston if she wins the lawsuit.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

- An Unblinking Look at Sexual Assaults on Campus -

"“The Hunting Ground,” set for release in theaters and broadcast on CNN, was billed by the Sundance Film Festival as a “piercing, monumental exposé of rape culture on campuses.” Judging by viewer reaction at the film’s premiere and the comments of two United States senators afterward, festival programmers might have undersold it.

Though the subject has been explored in depth by some publications, the response testified to the power of film. At the premiere here on Friday, audience members repeatedly gasped as student after student spoke on camera about being sexually assaulted — and being subsequently ignored or run through endless hoops by college administrators concerned about keeping rape statistics low." ...

Winston, the Florida State University quarterback, is the focus of one of the film’s more incendiary segments. The Heisman Trophy winner in 2013, he was accused in 2012 of sexual assault by a female student. He has asserted his innocence, did not face criminal charges and was recently cleared of violating Florida State’s student code of conduct by the university. He is widely expected to be among the first several players chosen in this spring’s N.F.L. draft. But “The Hunting Ground,” directed by Kirby Dick, makes a mockery of Florida State’s investigation, and Mr. Winston’s accuser, Erica Kinsman, speaks publicly about the case for the first time in the film, at length." ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/26/mo...eges.html?_r=0

"From the Academy Award-nominated filmmaking team behind The Invisible War, comes a startling exposé of sexual assault on U.S. campuses, institutional cover-ups and the brutal social toll on victims and their families."

http://www.thehuntinggroundfilm.com/

Just because of the optics of it, the timing of the suit is terrible.

They say it won't affect his draft status, I guess we will see soon enough.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Just because of the optics of it, the timing of the suit is terrible.

They say it won't affect his draft status, I guess we will see soon enough.
    I know what you are trying to say but she has been trying to have her voice heard for 3 years now. I think the timing is perfect for her. The timing is always right for people to get justice in whatever they can.

Really, I could care less about how it hurts his draft status or not.

Oh I should have clarified that. I don't care either its just how the timing of the lawsuit will be perceived.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Oh I should have clarified that. I don't care either its just how the timing of the lawsuit will be perceived.
    Yeah I hear you. And it's too bad because it will be all about him once again.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    I wonder how Tampa and the NFL will feel about Winston if she wins the lawsuit.
    Unless information that they didn't know already is presented, I doubt it.

The Bucs have known about this allegation for awhile I would imagine, and have seemingly decided they are willing to draft him despite it. Unless they see something to change their mind, such as something that provides more evidence of his guilt than there already is, I doubt they would change their minds.

I haven't followed the case, so I don't really know what evidence is there. If they find(or have already found) sufficient evidence that he is guilty, hopefully it will result in jail time for him. If such evidence is not found though, then I'd say proceed forward.
    Last edited by fallforward3y+; 04-17-2015 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
    Unless information that they didn't know already is presented, I doubt it.

The Bucs have known about this allegation for awhile I would imagine, and have seemingly decided they are willing to draft him despite it. Unless they see something to change their mind, such as something that provides more evidence of his guilt than there already is, I doubt they would change their minds.

I haven't followed the case, so I don't really know what evidence is there. If they find(or have already found) sufficient evidence that he is guilty, hopefully it will result in jail time for him. If such evidence is not found though, then I'd say proceed forward.
    Jail time can not be part of a civil lawsuit. So that is moot. It is money that is the motivating Factor at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    Jail time can not be part of a civil lawsuit. So that is moot. It is money that is the motivating Factor at this point.
    I know that jail time won't result from the law suit. I'm talking about something being uncovered in the law suit that provides evidence of his guilt being used in a separate criminal trial, if something that provides sufficient evidence of his guilt is uncovered.

I know that jail time won't result from the law suit. I'm talking about something being uncovered in the law suit that provides evidence of his guilt being used in a separate criminal trial, if something that provides sufficient evidence of his guilt is uncovered.
    Unlikely that even IF it was discovered thT local law would go forward. There is. Mind set about star power they will not move on. There would have to be public pressure and thT is not going to happen, in today's climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    Unlikely that even IF it was discovered thT local law would go forward. There is. Mind set about star power they will not move on. There would have to be public pressure and thT is not going to happen, in today's climate.
    Do you mean that they think his celebrity status will make it far too difficult to ever convict him, or more so that they feel it's out of their league, and that they wouldn't be able to get a conviction if they tried? If they think that, I think the Aaron Hernandez case should perhaps give them confidence that they'd be able to convict a celebrity.

Well....it's a good thing she wasn't "assaulted" by a poor man, then there would be no justice at all.
    Rogue Colts Fan

I can't speak with any knowledge of the accusation, but I think some of this has been assessed by teams already, and is likely a part of why Mariota heads Mayock's list of QBs. This is obviously a matter of concern, and may in fact drop Winston more than initially anticipated, regardless of the judgement that will be provided for this case. I assume justice will be served at some point, whatever that may be.

I am only talking about this from a draft perspective because, as mentioned, I don't have any facts about this situation. He is innocent at this point.

Do you mean that they think his celebrity status will make it far too difficult to ever convict him, or more so that they feel it's out of their league, and that they wouldn't be able to get a conviction if they tried? If they think that, I think the Aaron Hernandez case should perhaps give them confidence that they'd be able to convict a celebrity.
    I'd like to speak just from the college angle here. First of all you have to understand how sexual assaults are, or should I say are not, investigated on college campuses.

Let's start with how sexual assault allegations are typically handled on campuses. In many cases, they simply are not handled like crimes. Many colleges try to keep these allegations on campus and try to handle them like they are merely parking tickets. You must understand that many colleges often don't "refer" these cases to outside law enforcement agencies and try to handle them as if they are normal violations of the student code of conduct. If you ever took a random sample of college campus websites and read their "what to do if you are sexually assaulted," and "what we will do if you are sexually assaulted," the majority of them will tell you to:

1) Tell your RA
    2) Tell the Title IX investigator
    3) File a complaint in house
    4) blah, blah, blah.

Usually, the last thing they have you do is to: CONTACT THE LOCAL POLICE. Sometimes they don't even have that option or provide you with a phone number. Why, because they don't want you contacting the local police. Why? Because they want the case handled in house. Why? Because they want to handle it like a violation of the student code of conduct.

What does that mean? That means, if one is found guilty of sexual misconduct, you will simply be suspended for a term or shorter. Or, you might be asked to switch classes if both the alleged victim and perpetrator are in the same classes. Or, that you will have a violation be written up and placed in your file. Cases of sexual assault will most often be handled by campus police who HAVE NO AUTHORITY TO CHARGE THE SEXUAL ASSAULT AS A CRIME.

Sexual assault is a crime. When sexual assault occurs on college campuses, they ARE NOT HANDLED LIKE CRIMES. Please understand that. This is why there are currently 188 colleges right now who are in jeopardy of losing their Title IX Education Funding from the Department of Education because they are not handling sexual assault cases like crimes.

How do I know this. This is my field. I have spent years providing training and technical assistance to universities and colleges by assisting them in developing policies and procedures for responding to sexual assault cases. I have assisted them in writing up policies in such a way so they will not lose their Title IX funding.

Now because there have been so many mishandling of these cases, I would venture to say that policies have gotten better but there is still a long way to go. Right now in Boston alone Harvard, Tufts, Boston College, MIT, Brandeis, Amherst and Smith College are in violation. Those are heavy weights. And they are in trouble.

In this case the alleged victim did contact the police but they felt they didn't have enough to pursue it for a variety of reasons.

As for the star power athletes. It's not a surprise that in schools and cases with high profile athletes get away with this all the time. You certainly aren't surprised by this, are you? Kobe, Ben Roethlisburger are two who come to mind right off the bat. Winston will never be held accountable in a criminal court so the alleged victim felt her last remedy was a civil action. We'll see what happens there.
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 04-17-2015 at 02:30 PM.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware